05-19-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
I'm hoping someone can provide me with a little information on this brush.  I picked it up recently for short money.  Wondering what type of knot is in the brush and if its worth keeping/using?   The handle and knot appear to be in pretty good shape.

[Image: IlcYhPP.jpg]

[Image: bO45Vga.jpg]

[Image: 1rd85rt.jpg]

[Image: SotSBRZ.jpg]

23 108
 05-19-2016, 06:17 PM
User Info
You have a Rubberset 400, which is one of the more sought after vintage brushes.  Many shaving brush enthusiasts restore the handle,  remove the knot, and replace it with a quality badger knot.  It's a definite keeper.

50 6,115
 05-20-2016, 02:15 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Looks like a boar knot.  The handle definitely is a keeper.  The only way you can tell if the knot is for you is to use it.  If you don't like the knot you have a great handle that can easily be re-knotted with whatever you want.

7 911
 05-20-2016, 06:28 AM
User Info
I think it's a 26mm boar knot. The handles looks in great condition. I'd recommend badger knot if you do not fancy boar hair.

31 737
 05-20-2016, 06:46 AM
User Info
Congrats on finding the brush you've been seeking! Rubberset 400's are iconic brushes IMO!
Looks like you have the original boat knot installed, most probably a 24mm knot.
The openings on these brushes are typically 24mm with the exception of very collars that can accept a 25mm knot.
I would say send the brush to Rudy Vey or one of the in house brush makers we have here at TSN and have them clean up the handle and install a badger knot.

My recommendation is Rudy Vey and a Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot. He can advise you on knot dimensions based your preference.

If you want a cheaper route, look up "restoring Rubberset 400 brush" here and google and you'll find plenty of guides on how to clean up the handle and glue a knot. Be warned it ain't a 1 2 3!! It requires some work and time

13 775