05-20-2016, 08:08 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Just need some rational thinkers on TSN to help me keep things in perspective.....I currently have a listing on the BST forum to trade one of my two Wolfman razors--the WR1 SB for a BBS-1.  My rationale is the BBS-1 is from what I've read, a bit more aggressive than the Wolfman so rather than keep two Wolfman razors (I'm keeping the dual comb), I'd trade the closed comb for the BBS-1. 

Here's where I need the advice....am I actually gaining anything by trading for the BBS-1......FYI...I also own the ATT open and closed comb plus ATT slant open and closed comb, Ikon slant plus Ikon dual comb, plus King Cobra and Classic Cobra...the list goes on and on....I really enjoy both Wolfman razors and not sure if this is just me wanting the BBS-1 vs actually needing the BBS-1 to fill a void in my razor line-up....with all the problems we have in the world...sorry to bother you with something so trivial.....but if I can't ask my fellow TSN members....who can I askSmile

BTW...I'm also on the wait list for the BBS-1 but that could take forever before it actually arrives in my mailbox.

128 560
 05-20-2016, 08:44 AM
User Info
Ok here's my thought. If your on the wait list just be patient and your BBS-1 acquisition for your lineup will be filled at some point. If you like the Wolfman and already own a couple and are curious about having it be a bit more aggressive send the head back to James. He can bump up the blade gap and problem solved. I had him do it to mine and they stay just as smooth but are more efficient.. Just my thoughts.

20 1,335
 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(05-20-2016, 08:44 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Ok here's my thought.  If your on the wait list just be patient and your BBS-1 acquisition for your lineup will be filled at some point.  If you like the Wolfman and already own a couple and are curious about having it be a bit more aggressive send the head back to James.  He can bump up the blade gap and problem solved.  I had him do it to mine and they stay just as smooth but are more efficient.. Just my thoughts.

Thanks so very much...didn't know that was an option...much appreciated.

128 560
 05-20-2016, 09:22 AM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 08:59 AM)DJL813 Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:44 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Ok here's my thought.  If your on the wait list just be patient and your BBS-1 acquisition for your lineup will be filled at some point.  If you like the Wolfman and already own a couple and are curious about having it be a bit more aggressive send the head back to James.  He can bump up the blade gap and problem solved.  I had him do it to mine and they stay just as smooth but are more efficient.. Just my thoughts.

No problem, hope it helped.  James is extremely accommodating!! For reference he set my blade gap at .074

20 1,335
 05-20-2016, 09:28 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(05-20-2016, 09:22 AM)Nevada Red Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:59 AM)DJL813 Wrote:

No problem, hope it helped.  James is extremely accommodating!! For reference he set my blade gap at .074

Thanks again for the heads-up

128 560
 05-20-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 08:08 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Just need some rational thinkers on TSN to help me keep things in perspective.....I currently have a listing on the BST forum to trade one of my two Wolfman razors--the WR1 SB for a BBS-1.  My rationale is the BBS-1 is from what I've read, a bit more aggressive than the Wolfman so rather than keep two Wolfman razors (I'm keeping the dual comb), I'd trade the closed comb for the BBS-1. 

Here's where I need the advice....am I actually gaining anything by trading for the BBS-1......FYI...I also own the ATT open and closed comb plus ATT slant open and closed comb, Ikon slant plus Ikon dual comb, plus King Cobra and Classic Cobra...the list goes on and on....I really enjoy both Wolfman razors and not sure if this is just me wanting the BBS-1 vs actually needing the BBS-1 to fill a void in my razor line-up....with all the problems we have in the world...sorry to bother you with something so trivial.....but if I can't ask my fellow TSN members....who can I askSmile

BTW...I'm also on the wait list for the BBS-1 but that could take forever before it actually arrives in my mailbox.

I've owned both the Wolfman SB and the LA Shaving BBS-1. In my opinion, the BBS-1 is a smoother, more efficient razor. It was truly a joy to shave with. It's the only razor I regret selling . . . twice. I don't think I'll get another opportunity now to own it due to availability. That being said, if you have the means to keep the Wolfman razors do it. Otherwise, if you can find a partner to trade for the BBS-1, you're coming out on top is what I think.

79 370
 05-20-2016, 10:46 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(05-20-2016, 10:33 AM)Silence! Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:08 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Just need some rational thinkers on TSN to help me keep things in perspective.....I currently have a listing on the BST forum to trade one of my two Wolfman razors--the WR1 SB for a BBS-1.  My rationale is the BBS-1 is from what I've read, a bit more aggressive than the Wolfman so rather than keep two Wolfman razors (I'm keeping the dual comb), I'd trade the closed comb for the BBS-1. 

I've owned both the Wolfman SB and the LA Shaving BBS-1. In my opinion, the BBS-1 is a smoother, more efficient razor. It was truly a joy to shave with. It's the only razor I regret selling . . . twice. I don't think I'll get another opportunity now to own it due to availability. That being said, if you have the means to keep the Wolfman razors do it. Otherwise, if you can find a partner to trade for the BBS-1, you're coming out on top is what I think.
Decided to keep the Wolfman and have the blade gap adjusted and wait my turn on the list for the BBS-1.....THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INSIGHT.

128 560
 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM
User Info
You might be making a mistake here my friend!
The BBS-1 is without a doubt the more efficient and smoother razor
If you didn't have another Wolfman I maybe would have said hold onto it but the fact that you have the dual comb it makes no sense to keep both. definitely be patient and wait you will get it eventually

13 775
 05-20-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 10:46 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Decided to keep the Wolfman and have the blade gap adjusted and wait my turn on the list for the BBS-1.....THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INSIGHT.

This is a very wise decision as the BBS-1 won't provide you with much more of a significant shave than the razors that you have in your collection. It is just different, but I wouldn't say better than any of the ones you have. I think the increased blade gap on the Wolfman will add another good dimension to your collection and shaves. Good luck.

83 21,077
 05-20-2016, 08:02 PM
User Info
If I had to chose only one; BBS would be it.

....there are days, however a wolfman is needed as it's a tad more forgiving.

I would say if you didn't want to wait for a BBS1, contact Shane @ Blackland Razor and get a polished Blackbird.  It shaves similarly to the BBS1

18 654
 05-21-2016, 10:20 AM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
I go back and forth on this one. If my house was burning down and I could run in and grab only one razor, I'd grab the BBS-1.

But after the ashes cooled off, I'd sift through them until I found my Wolfman

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

50 421
 05-21-2016, 10:28 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-20-2016, 08:02 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: If I had to chose only one; BBS would be it.

I would say if you didn't want to wait for a BBS1, contact Shane @ Blackland Razor and get a polished Blackbird.  It shaves similarly to the BBS1

Signs011

I own all three razors mentioned above, and the differences between the Wolfman and BBS1 are as GloryUprising mentioned. However, the differences between the BBS1 and the Blackbird were markedly different—for me—until I modified my Blackbird to become one of the best DE razors I own regarding its shaving ability.

13 611
 05-21-2016, 10:33 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-21-2016, 10:20 AM)Urolex Wrote: I go back and forth on this one.  If my house was burning down and I could run in and grab only one razor, I'd grab the BBS-1.

But after the ashes cooled off, I'd sift through them until I found my Wolfman

24  My Wolfman is the best machined DE razor that I own. It's perfectly machined and shaves like a dream. My BBS-1 is a polished finish that is perfect and my Wolfman has a brushed finish that I wish other vendors could match. Wolfman/LASSCo have such a great collaboration.

13 611
 05-21-2016, 06:54 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Everyone, thanks again.

128 560
 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM
User Info
(05-21-2016, 10:28 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:02 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: If I had to chose only one; BBS would be it.

Signs011

I own all three razors mentioned above, and the differences between the Wolfman and BBS1 are as GloryUprising mentioned. However, the differences between the BBS1 and the Blackbird were markedly different—for me—until I modified my Blackbird to become one of the best DE razors I own regarding its shaving ability.

How do you compare your modified Blackbird to the BBS-1 as far as shave quality, effectiveness, smoothness, etc...?
Also what modifications have you done to the Blackbird to get to this point? Thanks

13 775
 05-22-2016, 02:32 PM
User Info
I owned and shaved with both a BBS-1 and a Wolfman. This is a lot like comparing a Ferrari and a Lotus (or a Rolls Royce and a Bentley). ymmv,

36 892