Poll: When you use both an aftershave and a balm together, which do you apply first?
 09-16-2016, 01:32 AM
User Info
AS first and then balm. I save it for last.

8 1,063
 09-16-2016, 01:41 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
I seem to be the odd man out. Immediately after the shave, I apply cold water and alum. The alum sits for a few minutes while I clean brush, bowl, razor etc. Then I take my shower. Then I apply balm. The balm sits for a couple minutes while I clean up the sink/counter, put on underwear, sometimes set up for the next day's shave . . . Last thing I do before stepping out into the bedroom to dress is splash on the aftershave.

----------
Spike

0 88
 09-16-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
I've never used a balm.

0 262
 09-19-2016, 10:58 PM
  • HMan
User Info
(09-16-2016, 01:41 AM)Tokyospike Wrote: I seem to be the odd man out. Immediately after the shave, I apply cold water and alum. The alum sits for a few minutes while I clean brush, bowl, razor etc. Then I take my shower. Then I apply balm. The balm sits for a couple minutes while I clean up the sink/counter, put on underwear, sometimes set up for the next day's shave . . . Last thing I do before stepping out into the bedroom to dress is splash on the aftershave.

----------
Spike

This is pretty much what I do as well, with the alum being optional, used when shaves feel particularly rough.
Since the alcohol is drying I figure the balm gives some protection, and it does feel that way to me as well. But reading this thread makes me think the other way around is worth giving a try.

Edit: Just finished my daily shave. I used Floid Preshave oil, Proraso Blue Cream, Floid Vaigaroso, and Proraso Blue Balm in that order Smile

I think you guys are on to something! One things for sure, now I know why they call it Vigaroso, the balm was totally killing the menthol buzz before to the point I actually checked the bottle to be sure they sent it and not Suave.

0 19
 09-21-2016, 08:14 AM
User Info
I go with alum, then which hazel, then A/S splash, then if needed in dry weather I apply a light layer of unscented facial cream.  I don't need the cream on my neck, usually just around the mouth and cheeks when its cold out and especially when its windy.

0 113
 09-21-2016, 08:57 AM
User Info
1st alum (always)
then a/s
or
a/s then balm depending on outside temperature

32 705
 09-21-2016, 11:56 AM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 04:28 PM)kav Wrote: I am old school. A manly man faces cold steel and then cauterizes any wound with alcohol aftershave. Then he sits down to nourish his skin from the inside by way of biscuits and sausage gravy with black coffee Piggy_214

After breakfast do you head to the woods to hunt Grizzly Bear with a Bowie knife? Bow

6 209
 09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
User Info
(05-20-2016, 04:28 PM)kav Wrote: I am old school. A manly man faces cold steel and then cauterizes any wound with alcohol aftershave. Then he sits down to nourish his skin from the inside by way of biscuits and sausage gravy with black coffee Piggy_214

Firedevil  "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" Kilgore Apocalypse Now 

0 554
 10-02-2016, 11:43 PM
User Info
Not to be crude, but to quote a line from the movie “Mr. Baseball,” applying a balm before an AS would be like “jerking off before sex.”

0 7
 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Splash then balm. 

I rarely use balm (only a splash), but IMO the splash operates as an astringent and counters the effect of balm when applied in reverse.

I'd suggest there is in fact little need to use both, but certainly no harm in it. If your skin feels in need of moisturising after using a splash then why not use both.

YMMV so just do what feels best for you.

97 17,968
 10-03-2016, 01:02 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-03-2016, 12:00 AM)ben74 Wrote: Splash then balm. 

I rarely use balm (only a splash), but IMO the splash operates as an astringent and counters the effect of balm when applied in reverse.

I'd suggest there is in fact little need to use both, but certainly no harm in it. If your skin feels in need of moisturising after using a splash then why not use both.

YMMV so just do what feels best for you.
I totally agree, Ben! I do exactly the same.

45 1,789
 12-31-2016, 06:05 PM
User Info
Talc?

I notice some references to using talc.  I understand the role of alum, and witch hazel (which I use religiously).  And, of course, after shave and balm.  But, I haven't heard of using talc before.  Do many use talc?  What for?

I probably use alum about twice a month, only after a less than perfect shave.  And, I go with after shave or balm—never tried both, but I might give it a shot, as long as both are the same brand & scent.

Never tried a moisturizer, but Claus mentioned it and maybe it's something I should experiment with.  Canadian winters really dry the skin out, so perhaps it should be a seasonal protocol for me.

0 317
 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
If I use both in apply aftershave lotion then aftershave balm.

But I prefer just balm in the vinterbro times.

2 242
 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM
User Info
Splash first, then if its winter, balm.

0 101
 01-03-2017, 04:56 AM
User Info
If shave was good to great: Splash first
If shave was bad to good:
Balm first

23 5,415
 01-03-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info

I love this post!

However, the way I've found works best and produces the best post-shave feel is a layering procedure, for example:

A light spray of a non-alcohol splash-I like a Witch Hazel based toner best.
Then a very SMALL amount of a moisturizing agent: Balm, Moisturizer, whatever you enjoy, but in a small amount
Rest, begin clean up
Then an alcohol based after shave. I find it best if it's poured into the hands and then 'waving' the hands a bit to let the alcohol evaporate a bit.
Then another SMALL application of moisturizer/balm.
Rest, complete clean up
Then an EdT or EdC if I'm wearing one. Again, I apply it to the hands first, let the alcohol evaporate a bit, and then apply.

Sometimes I'll skip the aftershave, and go right into the EdT, but in that case, I'll use just a bit more of the moisturizer/cream in the first application.

18 275
 01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
User Info
I use Sampson's aftershave balm followed by Floid Blue.; works so well that it's the only aftershave treatment I've used in the past 6 months.

~Jesse~

1 37