05-21-2016, 07:07 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
Years ago I used only a pre war tech to shave. While traveling on a motorcycle I managed to lose the thing. That was before e bay. The closest razor I could find to take it's place was a Merkir classic. I got consistently great shaves with it for about 15 years.
Then I found this forum and my shaving world changed. I learned about the Merkur Progress. I bought the long handled version and shaving changed for me again. The balance was great, it was infinitely adjustable, and the razor head felt like it was a custom fit to my face. Wonderful!
Then I kept reading on this forum and others about the Mergress; and of course I wanted one, but they were not to be had anywhere. Occasionally one would pop up on e-bay. I actually bid$175 for an XL and the thing went for over $200!!
Wednesday I got an email from Bullgoose that they were in stock and the price was great. I ordered anXL right away as I figured they would be gone soon. I got the razor Friday. It is beautiful. It is smooth and we'll tuned and the balance is perfect. It's all the great things the Progress is and more pluss the stainless steel adjustment knob give it tons of class.
Went back on the Bullgoose website this morning and the XL is sold out. I was lucky to have gotten one and can't wait to use it!
Here it is beside it's brother[Image: 13b7024d641d2f5b733430467069911d.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 29
 05-21-2016, 07:08 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Enjoy! Looking forward to mine in todays mailSmile

59 4,502
 05-21-2016, 07:14 AM
User Info
I had my first shave with mine this am.

I was more than impressed.

Enjoy!

82 2,210
 05-21-2016, 07:15 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Excellent! I am glad that it arrived safely and that you are happy. Thanks again.

46 18,377
 05-21-2016, 07:50 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I just tracked one down recently as well, should arrive next week and I'm very much looking forward to trying it! Thanks for sharing your journey!

10 233
 08-18-2016, 05:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Just a bit of a teaser but, Eric is working on a couple of Special Edition models that will soon be revealed. A customer had asked me about a Long-Handled Mergress with an XL handle. Ask and ye shall receive. Look for these sometime next week.

The week after next, we plan to unveil the Bling-Gress. Keep your eyes peeled and your nose on the ground. Biggrin

46 18,377
 08-18-2016, 06:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Mergress sells out quickly; but Eric and Phil have kept new batches coming in steady lots. I think the best endorsement are the few that do come up for resale. Someone in the UK is making a 'Digress' with similar upgrades. The base looks like a wartime cenotaph in various alloys and price commensurate ( expensive). I believe some people
'antiqued' the original plastic knobs in various finishes at one time pre Mergress. The head design is simply MERKURS best. I don't know about a 'bling' model though. I
am inordinately fond of my Shaker basic model and if Dennis Rodman starts posting photos with his there may be trouble.

2 3,171
 08-18-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I have an ebony knob Cooncat Bob made for me when I also ordered a brush and razor handle set from him. 

I keep thinking about a Mergess to get the precision. My custom knob is sans numbers and not the easiest to figure out early in the am with my terrible eyesight.

Blingress has me intrigued now. What the heck are you guys up to I wonder?

9 1,412
 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Instead of digging up earlier posts I will mention a few pointers on enjoying your Mergress. First, remember to match the Illuminati Pyramid with the faint ray of power
on baseplate and head. Reversing this will have you chirping like the Lizard People in frustration. Eric does recomend using mineral oil to lubricate the inner workings. Rarely, the head will tighten slightly off kilter. Mine has not; apply a little finger pressure and it will sort itself out. Rarely a blade will lock up on the posts
and require a little diplomacy to pop loose. I've had it happen only once so far. When not in use return the settings to 0 to relieve spring tension. A setting of 2-2.5 is equal to the mild razors. I tried VERY FOCUSED passes at every setting from 1 to 5+ without bloodletting. The head is superb and easilly manuevered in tough places like under the nose unlike many complaints VS the Merkur FUTUR. This razor can make average blades good, good excellent and excellent superb. The advise to try different blades in different razors especially applies here. The large channels make rinsing and post shave cleanup almost to easy. Because it is adjustable I give the handle a generous rinse,shake,dry and oil. This is a substantial piece of machinery, even in my standard model with medium sized hands. It feels good and reassuring on mornings when older fingers are waking up later than other body parts. The longer models should prove perfect for larger hands or people who prefer two handed fighting swords to 'wee sticks'. The handle fluting is enough to avoid slipping and the adjsutment knob may find use as a 'ball and socket' point of grip to some. Mine, aside from being a cherished gift won in contest; will NEVER BE willingly sold or parted with.

2 3,171
 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM
User Info
I must be a rare bird, because I actually sold mine.  Had the Mergress with the XL handle just like the one pictured in the first post in this thread.  I even had Eric make mine with a custom paint color (I chose British Racing Green).  

When I first got it back from the modification, I was ecstatic about it.  The first shave with the Mergress made me think that my search for the perfect razor had ended.  But somehow, over time, the blush faded from the rose.  I never DISLIKED it; I just got to a point where I found myself reaching for it less and less often, and I'm not really sure exactly why.  The shave was easy, smooth, and intuitive.  Maybe too much so for my taste?  Almost felt like shaving with a cartridge razor, it was so "point-and-shoot," as it were.  Maybe that's what led me away from it......boredom with ridiculously easy shaves??  

I don't really know.  But I sold it.  I have so many other razors from which to choose that I never really missed it.  It really is a great razor design, though.

2 1,461
 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM
User Info
Im pretty satisfied with my small razor stable.  Wolfman DC, RRBS, Ikon #102, Muhle R89, and Ikon X3.  Oh, and a Dorco PL602 -- but that doesn't count. ;-)

All different designs, except the X3 and #102 are close siblings and one may have to go.  This would open up room for one other razor, and a Progress/Mergress could be the one.

11 973
 08-19-2016, 08:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I believe the limited, but steady production of Mergress, it's reputation and the ever growing numbers of new shavers will see it a popular razor with an assured resale market for those few who find it not to their taste.

2 3,171
 08-20-2016, 01:12 PM
User Info
The Mergress/Progress/Eskimo/BRW or whatever model you have is a great razor. Maybe the best all around razor there is. (IMO) At one time Mantic 59 said you'd have to pry his from his cold dead hands. Certainly a lot of choices in razors these days, vintage and new. In a pretty good sized collection of razors I think the above represent the largest number of any one head. Close is the Solingen head slant in terms of number but I still think Progress and all its permutations wins. I think all the various models of the Progress pretty much shave the same but certainly some are more elegant than others. I will try and get a picture together and edit the post to show my collection. When the picture shows up my personal favorite is the Elite Eskimo with the Kingman turquoise stone handle and an aluminum knob by Toby (Triad).

By the way, Phil deserves a lot of credit along with Mer for regularly providing the Mergress for sale. This seems to happen on a lot more frequent basis than before.

[Image: Uy9vSVz.jpg]

Left to right:
the first three are vintage Progress regular handle in gold, silver and a re-plated rose gold. Next is a long handle with an Elite knob in red jasper stone. The next two are Bob's Razor Works adaptations. The last three on the top are a gold small handle with a brass Digress knob and Elite long handle Eskimo's in Briar/Resin and a Ikon knob followed by an Elite Eskimo and an aluminum Triad knob. The bottom row starts with a Bob's Razor Works knob on a short handle Progress followed by the three versions of the Mergress, an Elite Eskimo in Thuya Burl with an Ikon knob and a long handle Progress with the same Ikon knob. The last two are a short handle Elite Eskimo in metal and the last is a long handle Elite in Kingman turquoise. They both have Triad aluminum knobs.

54 327
 08-21-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
(08-18-2016, 05:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Just a bit of a teaser but, Eric is working on a couple of Special Edition models that will soon be revealed. A customer had asked me about a Long-Handled Mergress with an XL handle. Ask and ye shall receive. Look for these sometime next week.

The week after next, we plan to unveil the Bling-Gress. Keep your eyes peeled and your nose on the ground. Biggrin

Hi Phil,

I signed up for email notices and on the blog as well - I really don't want to miss this batch of razors.  Can we be assured an email notice will go out, letting people know they're in?  Will be checking in regularly now, but... Just very eager to get one.  Smile

0 377
 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-21-2016, 03:02 PM)Niemander Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 05:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Just a bit of a teaser but, Eric is working on a couple of Special Edition models that will soon be revealed. A customer had asked me about a Long-Handled Mergress with an XL handle. Ask and ye shall receive. Look for these sometime next week.

Hi Phil,

I signed up for email notices and on the blog as well - I really don't want to miss this batch of razors.  Can we be assured an email notice will go out, letting people know they're in?  Will be checking in regularly now, but... Just very eager to get one.  Smile
Yes -I will send an email notice when these razors arrive. It looks like both the Bling and the Long-Handled Mergress XL will be in this batch.

46 18,377
 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
(08-21-2016, 03:05 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 03:02 PM)Niemander Wrote:

Hi Phil,

Yes -I will send an email notice when these razors arrive. It looks like both the Bling and the Long-Handled Mergress XL will be in this batch.

That's perfect - it's the XL I really want, but will be checking out the Bling versions too.  Smile

Thanks!

0 377
 08-21-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
(08-20-2016, 01:12 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: The Mergress/Progress/Eskimo/BRW or whatever model you have is a great razor. Maybe the best all around razor there is. (IMO) At one time Mantic 59 said you'd have to pry his from his cold dead hands. Certainly a lot of choices in razors these days, vintage and new. In a pretty good sized collection of razors I think the above represent the largest number of any one head. Close is the Solingen head slant in terms of number but I still think Progress and all its permutations wins. I think all the various models of the Progress pretty much shave the same but certainly some are more elegant than others. I will try and get a picture together and edit the post to show my collection. When the picture shows up my personal favorite is the Elite Eskimo with the Kingman turquoise stone handle and an aluminum knob by Toby (Triad).

By the way, Phil deserves a lot of credit along with Mer for regularly providing the Mergress for sale. This seems to happen on a lot more frequent basis than before.

[Image: Uy9vSVz.jpg]

Left to right:
the first three are vintage Progress regular handle in gold, silver and a re-plated rose gold. Next is a long handle with an Elite knob in red jasper stone. The next two are Bob's Razor Works adaptations. The last three on the top are a gold small handle with a brass Digress knob and Elite long handle Eskimo's in Briar/Resin and a Ikon knob followed by an Elite Eskimo and an aluminum Triad knob. The bottom row starts with a Bob's Razor Works knob on a short handle Progress followed by the three versions of the Mergress, an Elite Eskimo in Thuya Burl with an Ikon knob and a long handle Progress with the same Ikon knob. The last two are a short handle Elite Eskimo in metal and the last is a long handle Elite in Kingman turquoise. They both have Triad aluminum knobs.
Beautiful collection. I like the Mergress a lot. 
The digress is an eye catcher IMO. 
Are you saving that one spot for the new coming mod that Phil and Mer are putting together? Smile

8 1,129
 08-21-2016, 06:18 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
This seems as good, or bad if I tick someone off, place to post as any. Every now and then someone will post a collection rivaling the Tower of London arms displays. I suppose some could take it as
showing off. I do not. Individual resources and drive are as varied as the collections resulting. I see private art collections loaned to a museum where everyone gets to possess a Van Gogh, or with suprisingly many; discover him. This is how people walk out of garage sales with $5 Darwin razors or a lost masterpiece.

2 3,171
 08-23-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
To have this number of Progress razors is excessive. Just happened over time through trades and liking the Progress head as a shaving tool. I think it is the best adjustable razor made, including all the vintage Gillette's. A lot of different makers have adapted the Progress and made/make handles and knobs for it....including BRW, Ikon, Elite and Triad. So a collection of them winds up with more than a few razors. Where the thread started, talking about the Mergress, is where most of the innovation remains today. The Digress made in Scotland has an equal number of models as Mergress in three metals....aluminum, brass and stainless but are difficult to source (distance and price). Elite is willing to try most anything and Robert Quinn is a true craftsman. Recognizing the Progress head theoretically  shaves the same no matter what handle and knob is on it, the different materials, length and weight do deliver a slightly different shave. As I mentioned I personally like the Turquoise Elite the best but actually shave the most with the Mergress XL. Something about the balance of that razor just gets everything right. I think it looks a little ungainly but the shave it delivers is perfect which is why I think I responded to the thread. And Bullgoose as a dealer is experimental enough to carry Mergress and Elite Razor Merkur based products. Not an easy thing to invest in all of the inventory.

54 327
 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM
  • Mer
  • Mr. Mergress
  • Illinois
User Info
(08-20-2016, 01:12 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: By the way, Phil deserves a lot of credit along with Mer for regularly providing the Mergress for sale. This seems to happen on a lot more frequent basis than before.
Thank you!!

0 21