05-21-2016, 01:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I just received my Mergress. I had compared photos with my Merkur Slant and expected an approximate similarity in dimension and weight. I soon felt the solid heft of a vintage PLUMB handbrace VS contemporary (and contemptable) Makita plastic affair with battery pack. THIS, is a
TOOL. I am used to the looser tolerance of my Slant's twist knob. It easily releases and secures the top cap with no issue. The Mergress has
that slick feel of a 5 screw Smith& Wesson, B&M racing gearbox or high end mechanical watch. I soon figured out the settings: assembled it's only one moving part and my Luddite left brain and 21st century right soon had it sorted out. Like my Slant, mere appearance can be
a little intimidating. I think I could peel potatoes at 5. I wont.
But it's a MERKUR and having used a 1904 Opencomb, HD and my present slant I simply installed a Russian Perma-Sharp also enclosed, set it to one and lathered up with my Spruce Brutalt. 'Go big or go home' or something like that with all new products. I had a 3 day beard from both sunburn and anticipation.
I took a breath, exhaled and tried to remember the precise blade angle I first learned and all that 'slowly roll the head until the blade makes contact' stuff. Oh hell, lets shave; and shave it did. I REALLY enjoy the balance, heft and overall confidence in precision this razor emotes. I didn't try messing with different settings. I do have a date in 3 hours and 4 passes later I stopped looking like some photo on the post office wall ( the FBI most wanted, not the postmaster and our elected officials, Anyone know the difference)?
I am curious at the XL selling out almost immediately. Am I alone in this model? I love it and can find no fault.
THANKYOU PHIL!

2 3,171
 05-21-2016, 01:55 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great first shave kav! I ordered the standard as well which reminds me I must take a walk to the mailbox...

59 4,486
 05-22-2016, 06:59 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Post shave- the morning after and additional observations. This razor gives  LOUD feedback. Ventral blade gap  two very large tunnels and cleanup easy. When I unpackaged mine the head looked cosmetically marred. I discovered traces of a VERY fine tooling oil from the conversion and wonder about the brand? I have been using silicone wipe clothes for final removal of fingerprints etc after drying. These are readily available in sporting goods outlets for a few dollars. These Merkurs show NONE of the cosmetic issues a bad run passed on to consumers plagued their reputation some years back.
Downside? I shaved yesterday in the afternoon. I woke up; dehydrated which normally accentuates my stubble. Nothing! I can barely feel my beard with a grit like very fine sandpaper. I was reduced to cleaning my kit, taking deep wiffs of my soaps and aligning the brand names on a  compass bearing toward BULLGOOSE SHAVING.
THAT, was not in the brochure.  I can hardly ask for my money back. Dodgy   

2 3,171
 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Excellent.

102 18,647
 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM
User Info
Considering how balance would be shift, I can't see the XL doing a better job for me than the regular Mergress. Its literally a great merge between old and new tech. Enjoy.

8 1,125
 05-22-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
My standard Mergress was an excellent shaver. Since I generally prefer longer handles, I often wonder how the Long Handle would compare.

[Image: BLAnUAt.jpg]

29 1,776
 05-22-2016, 05:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I have decided, starting tomorrow to progressively shave at an ever higher setting and, assuming I can find my calipers; measure blade gap. I am separated from the coast by world renowned canyon roads where motorcyclist and sports car driver test their skill. One hairpin turn on Malibu Canyon is full of weekend  crowds watching them all attempt ever faster speeds and fail. I actually surprised all one day. I took my RHD Austin Mini Cooper S 1100CC (last one in existence) at a greater clocked passage than any other driver by executing a 4 wheel drift totally unplanned that gave a lovely view of the precipice and mortality to my right. I will stop if said mortality appears in the mirror again.

2 3,171
 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Shave on kav Number_one

59 4,486
 05-22-2016, 06:27 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Probably the one razor I miss most. Like KAV witnessed, the shave was so close and comfortable I could skip a day shaving

19 742
 05-22-2016, 07:40 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I just popped over to leave feedback at BULLGOOSE. BOTH razors are sold out. " We few, we happy few"

2 3,171
 05-23-2016, 10:14 AM
User Info
(05-22-2016, 05:08 PM)kav Wrote: I have decided, starting tomorrow to progressively shave at an ever higher setting and, assuming I can find my calipers; measure blade gap. I am separated from the coast by world renowned canyon roads where motorcyclist and sports car driver test their skill. One hairpin turn on Malibu Canyon is full of weekend  crowds watching them all attempt ever faster speeds and fail. I actually surprised all one day. I took my RHD Austin Mini Cooper S 1100CC (last one in existence) at a greater clocked passage than any other driver by executing a 4 wheel drift totally unplanned that gave a lovely view of the precipice and mortality to my right. I will stop if said mortality appears in the mirror again.

Kav, it seems we are proximate neighbors and possible kindred spirits in regard to the love of internal combustion.  Last Friday I found myself bombing up Malibu Canyon in my girlfriend's BMW Z4 -- a bit of a clunker, but forgivable when owned by a busty swedish redhead -- on my way to taking her for steaks at the Old Place.  Having driven the canyons over the years in a variety of cars, from a Porsche Boxster S to Subaru WRX to first-gen Miata, I can only imagine how much fun it would be in a "real" Mini Cooper S.

However I cannot (and will not, hopefully) claim a four-wheel drift anywhere other than an empty parking lot.

PS -- Happy you like the Mergress.  It's one of the few razors I've considered adding to the stable.

11 973
 05-23-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
Nope you are not alone, I have a mergress also. And very happy with the close shave. If I did't had all my DE and SE razors, I could spend a life time using progress as a only razor.  
Really happy with my purchase. 

Also just wanted to share there is also a mergress like product in uk, that I wonder, the Digress.
mod edit : link removed

0 130
 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My love of cars is sadly tempered by a greater environmental love. I want a prewar Rolls-Royce, but am  sobered by the need for non polluting cars and a true mass transit system to make them vehicles of pleasure again. For everyone else; THE OLD PLACE literally is  the oldest
structure in the area and a rather interesting restaurant. They have a bar and a very simple menu. The walls hold photos of Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw's wedding there. I met Steve 3 times. I was at lake Malibu working on the original Redwood Lodge then owned by Jan van Tamelen. He was McQueens' Art director in WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE and later did the MANNIX show. I'm sitting on the dock drinking a Warsteiner and we hear this ROAR of a motorcycle. Jan says ' that has to be Steve'. I didn't look up until a voice said 'hey, I'm thirsty, can I bum a beer'? I hand one up and THEN look up at McQueen standing in his signature hands on hips, smiling pose. He looks over at my BRG MGA twin cam coupe. 'COOL CAR' Hey, I need to pick up my C type Jaguar from Phil Hill. I need someone to drive my other car back. Are you interested'? Am I interested, and we meet that Saturday. He pulls up in a damned VW BUG. We drive up PCH and some guy in a 911 cuts us off. Steve proceeds to totally smoke him weaving in and out of 18 wheelers. He neglected to mention there was a full Porsche racing engine inside this faded tan bug with a custom suspension and gearbox. CHP pulls both of us over. He sees who is driving and lets us go with a warning. We pull out as he walks; heavy in leather,steel and helmet  growling 'license,registration and insurance' to the 911.
I saw him one more time. He had taken up flying a Stearman trainer in Santa Paula, living in the hanger with his third wife and had walked away from Hollywood. I had gone into a local greasyspoon for breakfast en route to an archaeological dig. The locals were very protective of his privacy and I noticed the manager trying to seat everyone away from one table. I hear a voice 'HEY! KAV! I owe you a beer, remember'? He had me slide into their red naugahyde booth and bought me coffee and a messy plate of biscuits and gravy with eggs.
I was really sad to hear of his passing.
THAT, is the real Southern California being suffocated by cloned  mini malls full of yogurt  and pizza chains and idiots in PRIUS who cannot drive.
Give me well machined metal cars- and razors.

2 3,171
 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
User Info
Somewhere there's a picture of me as a 10 year old kid in that very hanger at Santa Paula with a bunch of Steve's motorcycles.  My dad, a screenwriter, was also a pilot and had his Bucker Jungmann out at Santa Paula for years during the 70s.  I went in my first open cockpit ride when i was eight.  Most of the guys with planes out there were commercial and/or ex-military pilots.  They all knew Steve and accepted him as one of their own.  Steve signed a photo for my dad that said, "For a pilot, you're not a bad writer."  That picture still sits in Dad's office.

11 973
 05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I remember your Dad's plane! Cliff Robertson had 3 biplanes; two were de Havilland Gypsy moths and a French trainer there. I flew out of there once. I had my sailpane license and a friend out of Van Nuys bought this post war French version of the Fieseler Storch ( radial engine). We took off and were cruising over the endless lemon orchards  when the engine quit. He panicked; which was funny considering that thing's incredible glide ratio. I took over and thought one of us would have to get out and PUSH it to the ground. I finally lined up with a big dirt access road in the groves and landed. This old Campesino Heffe drove up in a truck and we drove back for gasoline. I didn't think a radial engine would quit and it
turned out his fuel gauge had stuck. We had to move endless pipes and sprinklers, toss odd stones and treebranches to the side to clear our takeoff. I had worked in the LACC PIERCE orchard and the crew picked up on my familiarity with citrus growing. *Always find a commonality beyond language barriers. They gifted us a sack of lemons and I considered taking revenge flying over a few Dressage horsetraining facilities back to Van Nuys.

2 3,171
 05-23-2016, 05:38 PM
User Info
Great story, Kav.  I'm sure you could compare notes with my dad on engines.  Like you, he had a thing for British sports cars.  I came by my love of cars honestly, a two year old rolling around like a bowling ball in the back seat of a Mark II 3.8 Jag Saloon long before seat belts much less baby seats.

11 973