05-22-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
When you join a forum such as TSN, you have a proclivity to collecting shave stuff.  Not judging, rather stating the obvious.  Accepting this, what is a reasonable number of razors to have in ones' possession?  Not considering back-ups, which can be another thread entirely.  Enough to have variety, but not a number where you're renting a storage unit to keep your razors.

6 185
 05-22-2016, 11:11 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
There is no right answer to this. "Reasonable" can have as many interpretations as there are members here. Some people think having two or three razors is sufficient, while others like SE's, DE's, straights, etc. (and also enjoy vintage and modern varieties), so reasonable may be 30, 40, even 100. The subject is muddied because many of us enjoy the collecting aspect of it and appreciate the gear even if we don't shave with it very often.
I have some vintage razors, but I own and mostly use my ATT, Wolfman, BBS-1, Webers, etc. They shave differently enough that I like them all.

60 843
 05-22-2016, 11:17 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If your parameter of reason is pure ultilitarian several neighbors could share one communal razor with their own blade every morning. If collecting razors gives pleasure why not? Grown men secure in their masculinity have basements with train sets and get into heated debates on the correct hue for painting the dining car on the Paris-Simpson Orient Express. There is a sentiment of late about scaling back through various strategems approaching peer pressure and religious fervor. NOT INTERESTED

2 3,171
 05-22-2016, 11:20 AM
User Info
I used to have an answer for this, now I'm not sure.  I'd say hold on to razors you love and get rid of the ones that don't work.  

While I don't like the idea of buying to hit a number (I used to think it was cool to have more gear, now I don't care either way), selling just to hit a number hasn't worked well either.  I usually repurchase and end up spending a lot more time and money than if I'd have just kept what worked / I loved.

192 1,588
 05-22-2016, 11:20 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I think the answer is as many razors as you can afford... Some guys have dozens and some others a couple. It's all about personal preference.

You reminded me somehow one of my favorite Bond movies, "The world is not enough", and its amazing soundtrack...

49 1,940
 05-22-2016, 11:51 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......i believe the reason why we all purchase so many razors is that we are all trying to find the perfect razor....

..............like the elusive 'el dorado' .........that perfect razor is just over the horizon.............

44 1,063
 05-22-2016, 11:52 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-22-2016, 11:20 AM)waveflow Wrote: I used to have an answer for this, now I'm not sure.  I'd say hold on to razors you love and get rid of the ones that don't work.  

While I don't like the idea of buying to hit a number (I used to think it was cool to have more gear, now I don't care either way), selling just to hit a number hasn't worked well either.  I usually repurchase and end up spending a lot more time and money than if I'd have just kept what worked / I loved.

I've done this a few times with brushes and razors. I keep what I like. I am trying not to sell anymore. I just put items to the side and try them later.

As for the OP, if you are just shaving, you only need one. If this is a hobby, then what ever makes you happy. As mentioned, a lot of members enjoy the collecting part. Collecting razors is no different than other hobbies.

72 1,227
 05-22-2016, 12:03 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
We are obviously NOT doing this just to get better shaves...............so reasonable is what you can afford........

7 2,281
 05-22-2016, 12:20 PM
User Info
I appreciate the responses thus far.  To be more specific, I was curious how many razors one has in their normal rotation.  Not looking at this strictly from a utilitarian perspective, since one good razor would be enough.  Also, not looking at this as a collector, since that number could be anything.  When you enter your bathroom to shave, typically, how many razors do you have to choose from?

6 185
 05-22-2016, 12:22 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Take the 5th.....I cannot answer on the grounds that might incriminate me........or SWMBO could do worse... Biggrin

6 1,995
 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-22-2016, 10:59 AM)Never2Close Wrote: When you join a forum such as TSN, you have a proclivity to collecting shave stuff.  Not judging, rather stating the obvious.  Accepting this, what is a reasonable number of razors to have in ones' possession?  Not considering back-ups, which can be another thread entirely.  Enough to have variety, but not a number where you're renting a storage unit to keep your razors.

Speaking only for myself, I must have at least one cartridge razor, because frequently I travel commercial airlines with only carry-on luggage, and blades are a no-no in the cabin.  Rationally, that one razor should be enough, because I know of no other shaving method — not excluding barbershop shaves — that can consistently give me a closer more irritation-free shave than my Feather MR3 neo does,  so there is no rational basis to possess anything else.  Irrationally, when I am at home, I leave the MR3 neo in the Dopp kit, and shave with a DE razor; and I have a history:  when one day I found myself having acquired three (different) DEs, I unsentimentally quickly disposed of one of them to get the count back down to two:  one a blade-torquing slant (iKon DLC), and one a perfected solid bar (Feather AS-D2).  I feel no urge to extend variety any further than that.

0 1,054
 05-22-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
I started two years ago with a Merkur DE and a single brush with one puck of soap now I have ......well never mind lets just say it's not one anymore  Biggrin

6 1,262
 05-22-2016, 01:13 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Collecting anything is pure self-indulgence.  We all know that.  I agree with what others have stated....if you can afford it...more power to you.  It's a harmless hobby. Enjoy it.

Now, watches & custom knives....that's a different animal.. Blush

That being said, I try to limit myself to the proverbial "7", one razor/brush for each day of the week.  Also, this forces me to keep only my "top" 7 products.

159 1,319
 05-22-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
When I need a calendar to schedule my brush rotation...that's about where I am now.

5 139
 05-22-2016, 01:44 PM
User Info
For razors:

1 of each type. As in 1 (2) DE (possible slant added), 1 (3) SE (maybe add an injector or shavette bladed SE if you have a traditional width SE), 1 SR, 1 cart. 

The above is all the rotation you need, and all the rotation that could possibly offer the best results in variation. Simply find the very best of each type for you (skip certain types if you don't care for them), and forget about all the other razors of that type. Those other razors won't shave you better than your favorite, and will probably shave you worse. Feel free to try as many as you like, then sell off or PIF what can't beat the best of each of your favorite types. 

This is what I call a reasonable rotation, and anything more falls under the Law of Diminishing Returns, thereby losing more than you are gaining by having more.

For a broader perspective into this subject, see the following thread: 

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=39422

(The above does not consider collecting, as in coins or stamps, or investing, but rather only considers actual use in a regular rotation.)

2 308
 05-22-2016, 02:59 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I really don't know, I am not there yet. Hopefully I will when the time comes but I regret every razor I have sold or passed on. Soaps are different. I have narrowed it down to what I like. I will try new stuff but I am happy with my top 15 or so.

7 445
 05-22-2016, 03:11 PM
User Info
However many you want, like, or can reasonably afford.

Everyone's different.

If you're stressing about it, you might be doing it wrong.

There's no rules or set achievement levels to reach.

I don't use straights, so I don't keep mine ready in my rotation.

I usually use one blade until it's shot. For me that's when it tugs or pulls or I get irritation. DE or SE blades the same.

With DE I can use a different razor every day if I want, but I usually use the same razor a week. 

Not so easy with SE blades like injectors. Gem blades I could switch razors but I don't. Same for artist club blades and razors.

SE blades usually last me a bit longer. I don't keep track too rigidly, but I go with 10 days as a max.

DE I use a new blade Sunday morning whether the old blade is running poorly or not. 

There's so much variety that it's impossible to put a number to what a healthy rotation should be. There's sub sets and tangents to everything.
I'd say a reasonable one might look like this;

DE 
* Safety Bar
* Open Comb
* Slant
* Super Mild
* Super Aggressive 

SE
* Injector type 
* GEM type 
* Artist Club type

Straight
* ?

For me, I have about 10 razors max I'll keep at the ready at any given time. Normally only one blade going at a time. So if I have a DE blade going I may use a TTO Gillette one day and maybe a Feather AS D2 the next. More usually I'll pick a razor on Sunday morning and, all things being equal, will use that razor every day that week through Saturday.

I pick a different brush each night. I firmly believe two brushes is necessary to let one dry completely. Anything more is for fun.

7 1,316
 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
As has been mentioned, as many as you can afford or desire, really. If you are trying to be sensible, then you don't really need more than 4-5, but if you are looking to experiment and you have the funds, then try as many as you are able to. There is no harm in having a healthy collection of things that will bring you great joy on a daily basis as long as you have enough for food, rent and other amenities for you and your family.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 05-22-2016, 05:02 PM
User Info
delete

6 185
 05-22-2016, 05:03 PM
User Info
(05-22-2016, 05:02 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I started this thread since I view razors and blades differently from other shave related items, and I was curious how others felt.  I have many creams, soaps,  and brushes, but I am coming to the conclusion that razors and blades are different.  Once you find a few razor/blade combinations that work for you then you should stop if a BBS shave is the goal.  Soaps, creams, brushes, and other shave paraphernalia are in a different category since they play a supporting role to the razor and blade.  Getting a BBS shave is dependent on the razor and blade that I use, while the other shave stuff makes that task more enjoyable, but not possible.

6 185