07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
I've been a user of brushes for over 35 yrs. In the last 10 or so, I've had Kents, M&Fs, Rooneys, many TGNs, Semogues, Frank Shavings, to name but a few.

I've learned the following about my own taste: I like variety of course. But primarily, I love backbone, good flow through, a hint of scritch, a brush that is on the larger side and nothing that is too cloudy soft. I parted with a beautiful big Rooney for that very reason. Too soft.

I have big hands, primarily scuttle lather soaps and creams but also face lather too. My current favorites are my M&F Polo (25 mm), M&F Stubby (28 mm), Semogue OC boar and TGN Finest (24 mm bulb) Eveready restoration.

All that said, I believe it is time for my first Simpson experience. But where to begin? That which have my attention are: Chubby 2 (best), Keyhole 3 (best), 58 (best) and Duke 3 (best). Any of the afore mentioned in 2-band is not out of the question if available.

So I defer to all of you that have been down this road before. Can anyone (maybe Mark?) give me any advice, input or direction? Again, ergonomic handle, backbone, backone, soft tips that let you know that they are there. Someone said "a Rooney Finest is for you" but availability and budget prohibit that.

So I thank you all for your feedback and don't say "buy them all and sell what you didn't like." I just might.

Jon

2 202
 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Chubby 2 in best. You like big brushes? Maybe take a good look a the Chubby 3 in best. I've heard the Chubby 3's handle described as a baseball bat.

7 1,018
 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
Chubby 2 in 2-band super. Best if price is an issue.

9 2,988
 07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Start with Duke 3 in best badger,Hard to beat it for its price.I think is also Mark's favorite brush.
However,Gary Young and his relatives favorite brush was the Chubby 2 in best badger,for what I remember,so it seems you have to winners there.

86 7,123
 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
User Info
Duke 3 in best or 2 band super. I love 2 band super Smile

7 1,179
 07-26-2012, 11:40 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Another vote for a Duke 3. My favourite brush.

1 290
 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:So I defer to all of you that have been down this road before.
I haven't been down that road but it's a road I would certainly like to travel someday soon. The Chubby line is the one that interests me the most. Good luck with your choice.

12 743
 07-27-2012, 12:03 AM
User Info
Hi Jon,

Thanks firstly for giving us a shot, that's appreciated.

I'm thinking that you may struggle with the CH2 based on your requirement for a brush with good flow-through. They take a bit of getting used to, certainly in terms of lather release.

It's true that the Duke 3 Best for me is everything good in a shaving brush - handle shape, ergonomics, knot size, material & density. You wouldn't be disappointed if you chose this brush I hope.

The 58 is a wonderful alternative, essentially for all the reasons I've listed in regards the Duke.

I'd like to do something special for you though since you've made the call to try the brand - How about a custom M7 in Best? A real Goldilocks piece.

Hey, at the end of the day it's what grabs your attention, what looks & feels right for the individual - we have about 250 differing configurations on Simpson brushes and that's just in Cream handles!!!

Whatever you need, I'll look after you Cool

Mark

1 630
 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-27-2012, 12:03 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Hi Jon,

I'm thinking that you may struggle with the CH2 based on your requirement for a brush with good flow-through. They take a bit of getting used to, certainly in terms of lather release.

It's true that the Duke 3 Best for me is everything good in a shaving brush - handle shape, ergonomics, knot size, material & density. You wouldn't be disappointed if you chose this brush I hope.

The 58 is a wonderful alternative, essentially for all the reasons I've listed in regards the Duke.

I'd like to do something special for you though since you've made the call to try the brand - How about a custom M7 in Best? A real Goldilocks piece.

Hey, at the end of the day it's what grabs your attention, what looks & feels right for the individual - we have about 250 differing configurations on Simpson brushes and that's just in Cream handles!!!

Mark
After reading this,I should get a Duke 3 in best badger (again...)

86 7,123
 07-27-2012, 12:35 AM
User Info
Get one T, its a brush that id' never be without!

7 1,179
 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM
User Info
I indeed appreciate and enjoy all of your input.

Mark, your offer of guidance is an offer that's hard to refuse and for that I thank you. An M7 is the most comfortable handle I know (I had an M&F) so that's a great suggestion.

I'll cogitate on this a bit. After all, anticipation only enhances the experience.

2 202
 07-27-2012, 06:10 AM
  • jss
User Info
Another vote for the Duke 3..Its not an M7, but its very nice....

Happy hunting,
Julian

0 264
 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
My recommendation is for the Duke in best. I currently have a Duke in best and have owned one of the M7 Simpsons brushes. The Duke 3 is not as large as Chubby 2 or 3 but the flow through on the Duke is much better. Simpsons best does not really feel like a scritch to me but it does not have the softness of a 2-band super or a Rooney heritage. I like the Duke so much I can't imagine my den without one.

29 1,731
 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@Jon-

IMHO. I have a GYLE (M7) and a Duke 2 Best. Since you have large hands and lather in a scuttle, I think you'd find the M7 to be more satisfying that a Duke.

Mark's generous offer seems to offer a brush that fits your desires.

47 1,378
 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Jon,
A lot of votes for the Duke 3 from fans of the brush. I will be the dissenting opinion. I think you will find this handle uncomfortably small. If you like a bigger brush, then the best options before you are a 58 in Best, 58/59 in 2-band (check thesuperiorshave.com), a Polo 8 or 10 in Best, or a Chubby 2 or 3 in Best. My personal recommendation would be the Chubby. Sure, there's a learning curve. Sure, the density changes the flow through. All for the better. You've been at this a while. Why not try something new?

And then there is Mark's suggestion of the M7 in Best. I don't see how you could go wrong here. Not only would the brush be unique, it would also be totally awesome. Nicely done, Mark.

43 1,690
 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
(07-27-2012, 12:03 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Hi Jon,

Mark

This is how vendor loyalty is built. Legendary reputation for customer care.

5 298
 07-30-2012, 03:46 AM
User Info
Marks' is an "offer I can't refuse!" The Godfather of Simpsons.

A 58 sounds like a Duke 3 with a larger handle. If that is so, it might be perfect. An M7 sounds even better...

2 202
 07-30-2012, 05:09 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
We need pictures guysBiggrin

100 12,438
 07-30-2012, 05:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Duke 3 in Best would have been my recommendation, but I'd be all over that offer of an M7 in Best!!!

91 17,823
 07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Surely someone has a Duke 3, 58, and M7 and can post pictures side-by-side. I only have the M7.

43 1,690