05-22-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
Let me start this post by members mentioning the razor they own and what blade(s) seems to work well with that particular razor based on experience.

In my short time experience with the Muhle R89, it has worked well with Personna Blue, & the Feather all stainless steel. The feather being the most aggressive.

The Feather AS-D2 works well with the Astra SP.

Hopefully you guys can chime in.

0 103
 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
I used Polsilver Super Iridiums in the R89 for a very smooth shave.

80 464
 05-22-2016, 05:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
With the Shavecraft 101 my current blade of choice is an Israeli Personna. My other modern razor is a Merkur 44C. That razor works with any blade I choose! My Red Tips like Med Preps best, and the old Techs seem to prefer the Russian blades. Re: SEs, I've only tried GEM SS PTFEs and Personna injectors. My favorite shaver with the GEM blade is a Featherweight. So far the only injectors I've tried are G types. They work great together. Must try the Chicks.

4 1,913
 05-22-2016, 08:05 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-22-2016, 03:41 PM)capri Wrote: Let me start this post by members mentioning the razor they own and what blade(s) seems to work well with that particular razor based on experience.

With the Feather AS-D2, both KAI Stainless blades and Feather Hi-Stainless blades work well with the razor in stock configuraton; but when I swap an iKon Open Comb baseplate into the razor in place of the Feather baseplate, the KAI significantly outperforms the Feather blade.  Both the Feather blades and the KAI blades outperform Polsilver SI blades in that razor,  

In the iKon Stainless DLC, again the KAI blades work best, with Gillette Platinum and Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades tying for runner up, and the Feather blades trailing.

0 1,049
 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM
User Info
(05-22-2016, 08:05 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 03:41 PM)capri Wrote: Let me start this post by members mentioning the razor they own and what blade(s) seems to work well with that particular razor based on experience.

With the Feather AS-D2, both KAI Stainless blades and Feather Hi-Stainless blades work well with the razor in stock configuraton; but when I swap an iKon Open Comb baseplate into the razor in place of the Feather baseplate, the KAI significantly outperforms the Feather blade.  Both the Feather blades and the KAI blades outperform Polsilver SI blades in that razor,  

In the iKon Stainless DLC, again the KAI blades work best, with Gillette Platinum and Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades tying for runner up, and the Feather blades trailing.

Hi Mel,

What does the ikon open comb baseplate do ? can you buy Just the baseplate ?

are yo referring to this:

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ikon-b1-open-comb-deluxe-stainless-steel-head-only/

Thanks
Capri

0 103
 05-23-2016, 04:46 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(05-22-2016, 08:25 PM)capri Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 08:05 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: With the Feather AS-D2, both KAI Stainless blades and Feather Hi-Stainless blades work well with the razor in stock configuraton; but when I swap an iKon Open Comb baseplate into the razor in place of the Feather baseplate, the KAI significantly outperforms the Feather blade.  Both the Feather blades and the KAI blades outperform Polsilver SI blades in that razor,  

Hi Mel,
What does the ikon open comb baseplate do ?

Here is a metaphor:  think of the balance beam scale that the nurse asks you to stand on in your doctor's office for a last-minute weight measurement before the doctor sees you.  The nurse moves a weight along the scale from lightweight readings on the left to heavyweight readings on the right.  When one substitutes the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate into the Feather AS-D2 in place of the stock Feather baseplate one moves the figurative slider on the scale away from the safe-from-cutting-oneself end toward the sloppy-technique-will-still-shave end.  Or, throwing out the metaphor, the iKon baseplate makes the razor less mild and more aggressive.  A careful and experienced shaver can shave with a very aggressive DE razor and not nick himself; the same shaver can get just as close a shave with a very mild razor as he can with a very aggressive razor, but he may need more time each shave to get the same result he could get in a jif with an aggressive razor.  A less experienced shaver will end up with blood on his face from an aggressive razor if he is not very careful, or will complain that he does not want to take the effort to develop technique, or does not have the time to try to get a close shave, with a mild razor.  The stock Feather AS-D2 is a very mild razor, but, as I use it every day, my technique has become second nature, and now I can get a BBS shave with the stock baseplate installed in almost as short a time as I can complete a close shave with the iKon OC baseplate installed.

(05-22-2016, 08:25 PM)capri Wrote: can you buy Just the baseplate ?

are yo referring to this:

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/iko...head-only/

Actually, iKon, on its own direct-sale website, sometimes sells “blem” units of components of its razors; I bought a DLC (diamond-like carbon) coated Deluxe OC baseplate from that site for $20.  Functionally, the blem baseplate is identical to an unblemished baseplate; the differences are cosmetic and minor.  It is a function of blind luck whether a specific blem item will be in stock when you visit the website.  Tip:  the iKon Standard (closed comb) head, blem units of which may be available if OC baseplates are not, also will swap directly into the Feather AS-D2, and (reputedly, not based on my personal experience) the Standard baseplate makes the razor even more aggressive than the iKon Open Comb baseplate does.  Effectively, by swapping baseplates, you get a different razor, because the baseplate in these razors is, far and away, the biggest determinant of how mild or how aggressive the razor is.

The link you gave to the Maggard website is to an unblemished entire head with iKon’s B1 coating, which is more durable than its DLC coating.  The head as a whole will work with the Feather handle (or with Maggard’s own MR5 handle), and the resulting iKon Open Comb razor is a very highly regarded razor; the baseplate part of that head is functionally identical to the iKon DLC OC baseplate that I have, while the top cap part of that head also would function as a spare top cap for a Feather AS-D2.

To get back to the topic line, my theory as to why the KAI blades work better with the iKon OC baseplate in the Feather AS-D2 than the Feather blades do is that the iKon OC baseplate provides less underside structural support for a blade than the stock Feather baseplate does, and the Feather blades are fashioned from a very thin gauge of steel, while the KAI blades are made from a heavier gauge of steel.

I hope that you find this helpful.

0 1,049
 05-23-2016, 05:05 AM
User Info
Thanks Mel much appreciated.. will try to digest what you just wrote....

Is this the plate you are referring to:

http://ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-heads/b1...ase-plate/

0 103
 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
I like Gillette yellow 7 O'clocks in the Gillette NEW.

0 26
 05-23-2016, 07:55 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If the factory address includes St Petersburg I'm good to go
[Image: VrGp0wq.jpg]

2 3,171
 05-23-2016, 08:32 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
It has really surprised me but I've been getting great shaves with the Fatip Testina Gentile/Voskhod combo.
Equal or better than the Wolfman SB, Baby Smooth or the always reliable Progress.  Never tried the aggressive Fatips but this all brass gentle model shines!

[Image: 8276fc19fd979a2d603352e74a95acfc.jpg][Image: 208147a835c03270b4b178f71b4e9a93.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(05-23-2016, 05:05 AM)capri Wrote: Thanks Mel much appreciated.. will try to digest what you just wrote....

Is this the plate you are referring to:

http://ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-heads/b1...ase-plate/

Your link points to the OSS baseplate, a different animal.  In my earlier post at 9:05 p.m. yesterday, I referred to the $20 “blem” DLC version of this product; the unblemished $40 B1 coated one (the second link) should perform identically.  The very aggressive Standard baseplate that I alluded to in my second post in this thread is available as of this writing for $20 here, but I cannot from personal experience vouch for how it shaves as I can for the Open Comb Deluxe baseplate.

0 1,049
 05-23-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
For me, Feather Hi-Stainless in the Feather AS-D2 is great.  Also, Astra SP in my ATT S1.

0 168
 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM
User Info
Wolfman OC, Nacet

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

0 40
 05-24-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info

In my short time experience with the Muhle R89, it has worked well with Personna Blue, & the Feather all stainless steel. The feather being the most aggressive.

Having only been wet-shaving now for about 7 months, I continue to learn new things and was about to start a thread on this very topic.

I absolutely love Polsilver blades - hands down the best I've tried, and I've tried perhaps ten of the more popular blades to date.  

I've been shaving with Muhle and Merkur razors primarily (Mergress being my favorite) but recently I bought an ATT M1/R1 to begin my stainless experience.  Great razor but I thought it a little odd to see they'd put a pack of 5 ASTRA blades in with this $185 razor.

ASTRA was #5 on my list of blades - then I put one in my ATT and was surprised to find I got a better shave with the ASTRA in my ATT than I did in my Mergress.

I was curious if anyone else has had similar experiences - and apparently you have.

Polsilver is still my #1 blade, but I now have a viable reason to put my ASTRAs back in the daily rotation.

0 377
 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM
User Info
ASTRA SP -- ATT R1/M1
POLSILVER SI -- Mergress and all other Merkur and Muhle razors

0 377
 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM
User Info
I tried a Ikon Slant 102 with the Derby Blades and it was a not very good combo.....

0 103
 06-01-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
(05-24-2016, 06:43 PM)Niemander Wrote:

Having only been wet-shaving now for about 7 months, I continue to learn new things and was about to start a thread on this very topic.

I absolutely love Polsilver blades - hands down the best I've tried, and I've tried perhaps ten of the more popular blades to date.  

I've been shaving with Muhle and Merkur razors primarily (Mergress being my favorite) but recently I bought an ATT M1/R1 to begin my stainless experience.  Great razor but I thought it a little odd to see they'd put a pack of 5 ASTRA blades in with this $185 razor.

ASTRA was #5 on my list of blades - then I put one in my ATT and was surprised to find I got a better shave with the ASTRA in my ATT than I did in my Mergress.

I was curious if anyone else has had similar experiences - and apparently you have.

Polsilver is still my #1 blade, but I now have a viable reason to put my ASTRAs back in the daily rotation.

How's the Polisilver on the ATT razors ? I read that the Astras works well on the ATT but how about the Polisilver ? Thanks in advance.

0 103
 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM
User Info
I've been experimenting lately with my Rockwell, so this is a work in progress.  But I've had good shaves with:
Baseplate 3:  Gillette 7 o'clock Blacks
Baseplate 4:  GSB, Polsilver, Durasharp
Baseplate 5:  Personna Red IP

11 193
 06-05-2016, 12:08 AM
User Info
ATT M2 -  Polisilver
ATT S1- Polisilver

0 103
 06-05-2016, 07:25 AM
User Info
ATT S1 + Feather