05-22-2016, 04:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It seems as if Microsoft has stepped up their efforts to force users to upgrade to Windows 10. It started with popups in which you could opt to upgrade but they ramped it up recently with pop-ups that require you to opt out. If you do not react quickly enough, they start the upgrade.

I found a program that will remove the Windows 10 files and allow you to prevent future downloads . I was shocked to find that there were 15,000 Windows 10 related files on my computer for a whopping 3.5 gigs of space. In less than a minute, I was able to zap them.

Just a public service announcement. Check out Never10

46 18,210
 05-22-2016, 04:07 PM
User Info
Yes! Thank you, Phil!

0 622
 05-22-2016, 04:09 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm still using 7 and those popups are like the old hit the gopher arcade game.

2 3,171
 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-22-2016, 04:07 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Yes! Thank you, Phil!

My pleasure Shane. It was out of control.

46 18,210
 05-22-2016, 05:34 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Just used Never10 this afternoon.
Windows can bite my bottom. I think I'm gonna look at Linux.

2 1,683
 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
(05-22-2016, 05:34 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Just used Never10 this afternoon.
Windows can bite my bottom. I think I'm gonna look at Linux.

Linux is great, but it can bring its own set if challenges... For the love of all that is holy... Why can't I get the USB hard drive on my father-in-law's machine to mount automatically at boot?!?

0 1,061
 05-22-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
I use Windows 10 because I chose to.

It's messed up the lengths that Windows is going to to force it upon people who do not want it.

If Linux and Ubuntu and the like weren't so intimidating to me from a learning curve perspective I would be off the Windows boat already.

Windows 10 for me is functionally better than 7 but only after a lot of customization and tweaking. I don't care for their heavy handed approach to updates in general on the consumer editions. Windows is not a service regardless how bad they want it to be. I bought it and use it. It's software. 

The digital landscape is pushing hard to shift the paradigm away from owning everything into streaming, subscriptions, and renting programs and media.

No thanks to the Cloud unless it's on my terms. 

Windows 10 being free means that they've monetized something else to justify the business model. A lot of that something else is you. Your data. Your information. Your acceptance of the terms and conditions. You know, to improve your experience...

7 1,357
 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
User Info
I just got a new SSD on Saturday and re-installed Windows 7 Pro. The first thing I did was install GWX Control Panel before running Windows update (for the 1GB of patches and service packs). It blocks all the Win10 stuff.

I don't mind Win10 on my MS Surface because of the touchscreen support but I, like many others, don't care for the privacy invasions and having our OS throw advertisements at us. So I will keep Win7 on my other computers.

I also am putting up resistance due to the way Microsoft is being so adamant about it. Nobody gives things away for free so their attitude is suspect.

6 700
 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM
User Info
I upgraded to win10 and it wasn't the horror show I expected after experiencing win8.

I don't know what you gents mean by the pop-ups. I don't get any of them, but I also deactivated all of the spy ware and reporting back to hdqtrs switches that are in 10. I also don't rent any software or space. I either own it or I won't use it. The cloud? What manure. I can't be trusted with my own data but someone else can be? I don't think so.

32 6,451
 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
Wow this is so useful if it has been downloading things that'd explain why my SSD is full... 64gb is so small nowadays

0 26
 05-23-2016, 05:02 PM
User Info
(05-23-2016, 07:15 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I don't know what you gents mean by the pop-ups.
On Windows 7/8, there are "upgrade now" pop-ups.

Then you upgrade, and by default Microsoft has advertisement on. And sure, savvy people like you and me turn them off, until Microsoft puts in new ones or makes the setting name sneaky

For example -
http://bgr.com/2016/02/25/windows-10-ads...n-disable/

And the setting to turn off advertising:
Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen.

They also increased the number of "recommended" live tiles (aka ads on the start menu) from 5 to 10.

I don't need this crap on my desktop. Or my Surface, but I'm sort of stuck there.

6 700
 05-23-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
Thanx. Then I'm probably not getting them because I upgraded and undid all of the big brother crap.

The reason I upgraded was because win7 pro or whatever it was called had some issues. The most bothersome was a cursor that wouldn't "stay put" when editing text. I'd put it in one place and it would jump one character over sometime between putting it in place with the trackball and getting the right hand to the keyboard. It made editing text a huge PITA. Even Windows in it's simplest form back when it was an IBM/MS collaboration behaved better than that.

32 6,451
 05-24-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
I bought a Chromebook when my Sony Vaio running Windows Vista began having some problems. There is a slight learning curve with the Chrome operating system, but only very slight. I use it almost all the time, except that it hasn't got a CD/DVD drive. Also my ancient printer doesn't like Chrome, and vice versa -- I must upgrade my printer soon.

Another small problem with Chrome is that when someone sends me an audio file in .wma format (windows media audio), Chrome won't play it; A minor annoyance, but it recurs often. I am very unlikely to ever buy a WINDOWS machine again.

5 395
 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM
User Info
I spent 10 hours with a dell senior tech rebuilding my entire computer which is the lifeline to my business.  I purposely left the windows 10 off on this cycle only to find that 10 was loaded back onto my computer overnight while I slept.  all I could seem to do was not accept the terms and conditions page and then they would "reinstall windows 7"  but this will take some time ie almost 15 minutes. damn, was I mad.  The metaphor is that Microsoft came in to my driveway and took my car away and gave me theirs and said I had no choice.   Thank you Phil for this tip.

73 1,278
 05-25-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
I delayed installing Never10 until an hour ago. I got up from my computer and came back to see Win10 installing. I shut it down and it reset to 7 when I rebooted. Promptly ran Never10 right away. Close call Smile.

0 622
 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM
User Info
After installing windows 10, for first 15 days you have the right to uninstall. I did it that way, now it does show any pop up for windows 10.

0 129
 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
(05-25-2016, 09:06 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: After installing windows 10, for first 15 days you have the right to uninstall. I did it that way, now it does show any pop up for windows 10.

Then I suppose I was a bit dramatic in panicking and shutting my PC down right away... Blush

0 622