07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
I just acquired a cup of this today and hand lathered it tonight.

OK, the scent is completely different, but it definitely reminded me of another soap... From France. The quality of the lather and the small quantity required reminded me of MdC. I couldn't help but think that it is Germanys answer to MdC. Has anyone else noticed the resemblence?

But what's with the miniscule cup? It's going to require a different technique to use it w/o making a mess.

32 6,312
 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
WOW, high praises.

what does the SPORT smell like? similar to any other big names soaps/creams?

8 2,718
 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(07-26-2012, 07:07 PM)Bruce Wrote: WOW, high praises.

what does the SPORT smell like? similar to any other big names soaps/creams?

Here's a pic from my recent introduction into klar siefen line. This is the sport, and I've since ordered and received the sandalwood.

[Image: AKCRZ.jpg]

I'm terrible at basenotes type descriptions of scents, but I love drawing comparisons to other products that I've tried.
The "sport" scent, IMHO, is everything tabac could have been but isn't.
I get a spicy alt-innsbruck with some musk in the background. It really is a fantastic scent!

11 366
 07-26-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
Well, it's difficult for me to describe the scent.

Very strong floral right out of the cup. It mutes quite a bit as it's lathered. But it's still strong to my nose. I'm sensitive to scent, but this doesn't bother my nose despite the strength of it.

The way it was described to me was stick your head in a florists flower refrigerator and add a touch of powder. I can't improve on that description. The scent lingers on the skin after the shave and it's definitely floral, but it's a sharp floral scent, not sweet at all. It's definitely a masculine floral.

Other folks have commented on the Klar soaps giving a great feel to the skin after the shave, and while I haven't shaved with it I can get that skin feel from my hand. I think following the shave with only Witch Hazel would work for me in the summer. I'm airing the soap out, but I might try it tomorrow and use the Witch Hazel splash to see how it works for me.

I'm so impressed with the quality of the lather that I'm looking for some Klar Kabinett. Like I need more soaps. I think it will make an extremely easily produced ultra lather.

32 6,312
 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
thanks for the info on the scent guys.

let us know how the shave goes. i hear great things about this soap and it appears it's a winner with everyone.

8 2,718
 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-26-2012, 06:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: But what's with the miniscule cup? It's going to require a different technique to use it w/o making a mess.

I wonder the same thing. Not only is the cup too small for most shaving brushes, it is about as thin as aluminum foil. I always sold it at a discount as a scratch and dent item because...it always arrived from Germany scratched and dented. Confused

45 16,364
 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Yeah this soap is top of my list, It is small batch made, and i have a few people i very much trust rate this at the top of their shelf, above MdC and a few other highly regarded soaps, its not cheap either, but goes a long way

though i want the klassic scent myself, thanks for the pictures and posts
(07-26-2012, 06:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I just acquired a cup of this today and hand lathered it tonight.

OK, the scent is completely different, but it definitely reminded me of another soap... From France. The quality of the lather and the small quantity required reminded me of MdC. I couldn't help but think that it is Germanys answer to MdC. Has anyone else noticed the resemblence?

But what's with the miniscule cup? It's going to require a different technique to use it w/o making a mess.

3 748
 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
It is definitely a very nice soap

45 16,364
 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
(07-26-2012, 08:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(07-26-2012, 06:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: But what's with the miniscule cup? It's going to require a different technique to use it w/o making a mess.

I wonder the same thing. Not only is the cup too small for most shaving brushes, it is about as thin as aluminum foil. I always sold it at a discount as a scratch and dent item because...it always arrived from Germany scratched and dented. Confused

Yeah, the packaging is definitely the pits, attractive pits if it isn't dented, but it needs to be on steroids. IMO, make a better container, and make it wider, double the amount (or whatever) and charge what it's worth. The price would be similar to MdC, but maybe they don't want that comparison. I can't understand why not! It's a favorable comparison.

Absolutely no way that folks who think MdC smells like a hot tar roof :-) will think that of the Sport.

I'll contact them, or did you already Phil? They need to have export packaging, heck, already the stuff isn't inexpensive. What's a dollar more? Or package it like the Kabinett to cut costs. They already have that packaging line so it's no big deal (IMO as seen from the sidelines). They may have a reason, but still the packaging is the pits and needs an upgrade.

32 6,312
 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
One of the other venders out there got them to send her refill pucks once, but she has been unsuccessful in getting them to do it again, and it cut the cost down quite a bit too,... i missed out on it and sorry i did

3 748
 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(07-26-2012, 09:26 PM)syngent Wrote: One of the other venders out there got them to send her refill pucks once, but she has been unsuccessful in getting them to do it again, and it cut the cost down quite a bit too,... i missed out on it and sorry i did

When I used to stock it, Klar always offered the option of buying refill pucks only. It only saved about a dollar though and at the price point the soap sold at, I figured people would want a container of some sort.

It would be nice if the pucks had a wider diameter and fit nicely in a wooden bowl.

45 16,364
 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
User Info
I had assumed this was the size of a tin of PdP... I'm guessing it's smaller?

12 1,243
 07-26-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-26-2012, 10:28 PM)insomniac Wrote: I had assumed this was the size of a tin of PdP... I'm guessing it's smaller?

A tiny little bit smaller,I would say.
I have tried the sandalwood and I can assure its a very good German soap,like the Dittmar/Riviage soaps.

86 7,124