07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
So, either I damaged a brush or it was damaged in transit. Either case, I don't feel as though I can sell it. The handle was scratched. Instead I decided to PIF.

The brush features a 22mm knot and a 48mm loft. This is the extra firm version of the brush. The extra firm version has a lower effective loft due to a larger bump in the middle of the knot. The bump is the glue from the knot making process. The brush comes in a normal version with a higher effective loft. The difference in loft is ~5-7mm

Great for face lathering and loading soap. Does fine with creams & bowls, just doesn't whip up a lather that quickly.

Anyway, VFerdman has it now, he'll write up his thoughts on the brush and ship it to the next person. Hopefully he can post a picture too.

Rules:
They are simple. First come, first serve. When you're done with the brush pass it on to the next person in line. I'll leave the details up to the two people involved.

Required: Say hello in the introduction section of the forum.

If you are the last person and no one else wants the brush, I suppose you get to keep it until someone else wants it. I'm open to suggestions on this.

So, if you would like to be put into the que, reply to this post with the phrase "I'd like to try it" at the top. I'll try to keep a running list.

Currently in possession of:
SharpSpine

Que:

Tylerbrycen
Zenless
Moorecharlie1

9 2,988
 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have received this brush a little while ago and it was brand new. The brush looks and feels amazing. It's heavy (65 grams) and the handle is on par with Simpson resin handles. the hair in the knot feels very similar to Simpson Best. I gave the brush a de-funking with Proraso white tub old formulation. Not too much funk was present, but it was persistent through several lathers. The brush felt really good on test lathers. Loaded up great and contained a lot of lather. Then I shaved with it and that's where I encountered some problems. As Lee said, the knot is set with the bump inside so as to create a strong back bone. It does accomplish that, but I found the brush to not splay at all and that created some difficulty for me applying the lather to my face. It could be me, but I would think that the brush needs to give a little so as to splay the bristles and distribute the lather. Anyway, the hair itself is outstanding. As I said, similar to Simpson's best and that's a good thing. The fit and finish of the brush is first rate. The handle is very comfortable and hefty. All in all this brush is a pleasure to handle. The application of lather is kind of strange, though. I will use it a few more times and post my thoughts. Perhaps it will change character a bit after a few more uses or I will discover some better way of lathering with it. As of now I seems to "scrape" the lather off my face and not be able to apply a nice thick layer. Again, this could be me, but this is the only brush I have used that does that.

Here are some pictures of this brush next to my Berkeley 46B, which is similar in size, but a very different brush in use:

After de-funking, but dry

Next to Berkeley 46B. Both dry

Demonstration of the internal glue bump:

Immediately after lathering and shaking dry (still damp)

25 1,705
 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
User Info
That looks like a great brush for face lathering. I already have a similar brush, so don't count me in, but I just wanted to say that anyone looking to make the jump to face lathering could do well with that brush.

2 129
 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
User Info
Lee, I'd like to try this brush out and see how it stacks up against my EJ best badger.

0 35
 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-27-2012, 12:33 PM)ChiTownCliff Wrote: Lee, I'd like to try this brush out and see how it stacks up against my EJ best badger.

Sorry sir,but would you mind introducing yourself to this community?Thanks a lot.

86 7,124
 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM
User Info
That looks like a very nice brush.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
User Info
I would like to try this brush as well. Please add me to the que. My only badger experience is the pure badger brush that came with my VDH luxury shave kit.

1 168
 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
User Info
I'd like to try it.

As per our conversation Lee this will be a great opportunity for me to see how the handle feels in my hand. Thanks for this opportunity.

31 7,914
 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM
User Info
I can't wait to try that brush out

12 568
 08-04-2012, 12:54 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for being the first to review this brush and the pictures are outstanding.

100 12,448
 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM
User Info
I have this brush right now, but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check it out yet as I'm headed to Duluth, MN for the weekend. I'll let everyone know my thoughts on it by next week!

1 168
 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
User Info
I'd like to give this guy a shot if i can!

11 183
 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
User Info
Well, I received notice that my LE TSN Semogue is waiting for me at the post office, so I believe it is time for me send this to the next fellow on the list. I agreee with Vferdman on the the brush being a bit too stiff. Lather building in both a bowl and on my face was quite easy, and the brush held a great amount of it as well. Though it could have used a bit more loft, I found the stiffness to be useful in lifting my whiskers while also exfoliating more than any other brush I own has. I did not find a single hair in my lather in any of my shaves, and the funk is pretty much non-existent now. Overall, this is a great brush for those who appreciate the stiffness of a boar, with the softness of a badger. Thank-you Lee, for letting me take the opportunity to try this brush! I'm sure the rest will enjoy it as well!

1 168
 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
The brush just arrived at my office. I'll play around making some test lathers tonight and then I'll try it out tomorrow.

31 7,914
 08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
User Info
I would like to give this brush a Try count me in!

0 14
 09-02-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
I'm done with it & have PM'd the next on the list. Thanks for this opportunity Lee.

31 7,914
 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
What does a glue bump have to do with the brush I hope I'm not being rude

12 568
 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 12:12 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: What does a glue bump have to do with the brush I hope I'm not being rude

No, it's a good question and apparently one that confuses people a lot.

Knots are glued at the base. Due the handmade nature of the brushes, the amount of glue being used can vary. This happened in the first generation of Stubbies. Some came out with "normal" height glue bumps, some came out with larger than expected glue bumps.

Visually there is no difference whatsoever. But performance wise, the extra glue acts to shorten the effective loft of the brush. Thus, the hairs are shorter than they would appear due to the un-moving nature of the glue.

Not supposed to be that way and once the current stock is gone, there will be no extra firm WSP brushes again.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
So it's a bad thing to have to much glue bumb

12 568
 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 12:24 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: So it's a bad thing to have to much glue bumb

It is if you want more flex, but some or many serious face latherers love the scrubbiness.

Neither good nor bad, just how the brush performs. If you want a 40mm lofted silvertip brush in a 22mm knot, this is it.

9 2,988