05-26-2016, 09:35 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
So, I went into Walmart yesterday for an unrelated reason and saw a VDH branded box with a TTO DE razor (a Super Speed knock-off) and a tuck of 5 VDH blades (Made in Germany, so probably Wilkies or Merkur) for $17.50! Yes, under $20 with a pack of 5 blades. I bought it immediately to try. Fit and finish on this thing far exceeds Merkur 3xC razors I had. It is super shiny chrome, no zamac, it's all sheet metal on the head. I am not a big TTO fan in general. Had many vintage Gillettes and let them go because did not like the shave (loved construction and mechanics). I shaved with this razor today and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shave. I loaded a fresh Personna Lab blade (I never liked German Walmart blades) and had a fantastic mild, but efficient BBS. I am not a fan of Walmart or TTO razors, yet, this sub-$20 razor gets respect from me. This means that for under $50 a new shaver can have a real nice kit to start out with and you do not need to scour ebay or flea markets, just go to Walmart (I wonder if Target also sells them as they do carry VDH stuff). I see absolutely no reason to get a Merkur 34C in light of this. This inexpensive razor shaves with about the same level of aggressiveness and looks a lot better and costs a lot less.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this razor?

26 1,739
 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
When Walmart pays a living wage, stops bullying their suppliers to shift production overseas, accept their payment terms and starts a shaving forum I will check it out.

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-26-2016, 10:01 AM)kav Wrote: When Walmart pays a living wage, stops bullying their suppliers to shift production overseas, accept their payment terms and starts a shaving forum I will check it out.

Kav, I understand your sentiment and have no love for Walmart, believe me. I go in there for very few things and am not a regular customer. This razor, however is not a Walmart brand. It's VDH, which is also sold at Target. Not sure if the razor is, but I have seen VDH shaving products at Target. So you can go to the red devil instead of the Blue devil to check it out. For a budget minded shaver I recommend this razor. Anything to get off the 17-blade cartridge that are also made in Chinese sweat shops, BTW and are such a waste of material and resource. This is a non-disposable razor that looks like it will last, actually, since it's not made of zamac and is very well finished.

26 1,739
 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I received a Weishi branded model from a well-meaning friend and was reluctant to use it considering the vast collection of vintage and modern razors that I have grown to love.  I will admit that I was shocked after using it at how mild yet efficient it actually was.  It wasn't as close as I prefer, but more than acceptable and for the price a no-brainer to recommend to others looking to try out safety razors.  I still think a vintage Gillette Super Speed or Tech is a better tool due to it's superior build quality and materials, but for those that are grossed out by using something not new, these make for an excellent choice.

144 2,752
 05-26-2016, 10:49 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
BULLGOOSE SHAVING @$17.75 and you get a flashlight pen; immediate access to other shaving products AND a forum. Should one patronize the 'Red Devil' DO NOT stop a knife wielding attacker of a pregnant woman. Target will file a lawsuit.
[Image: v40WI7d.jpg][Image: RQskRar.jpg]

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 03:20 PM
User Info
Its great to hear that Walmart, Target, et al. are selling safety razors in prominent positions, advertising a higher quality shave and gear! I only expect to see more of this in the future.

Thank you, @vferdman for your shave report, and don't mind those that would choose to hijack the thread pushing other products and services.

2 308
 05-26-2016, 03:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I hardly hijacked the thread. Consumers are responsible for the social impact of our purchasing power. This post is about a cheap introductory razor. I merely pointed out A. There are real social ramifications of WHAT and WHERE you buy. A diamond with a traceable provenance VS a 'blood diamond'
funding terrorists organizations shines a little bit brighter even if both are 1 carat, VS1 clarity, clear color with a brilliant cut in Amsterdam. B. I demonstrated an even better deal from the host of this very website with demonstrable positive social impacts. Now, if you think I err please do go to the WALMART website and post questions about shaving and  selling your overpriced MERKURS. Do let us know how you make out.

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
(05-26-2016, 03:48 PM)kav Wrote: I hardly hijacked the thread. Consumers are responsible for the social impact of our purchasing power. This post is about a cheap introductory razor. I merely pointed out A. There are real social ramifications of WHAT and WHERE you buy. A diamond with a traceable provenance VS a 'blood diamond'
funding terrorists organizations shines a little bit brighter even if both are 1 carot, VS1 clear with a brilliant cut in Amsterdam. B. I demonstrated an even better deal from the host of this very website. Now, if you think I err please do go to the WALMART website and post questions about shaving and  selling your overpriced MERKURS. Do let us know how you make out.

This forum is great! Bullgoose is great! And 99.9% of shavers know nothing of either.

I am happy if regular, hard working (and less affluent) sorts of folks get introduced to wet shaving by having these products in their local communities. And if VDH is a great, low cost shaver, all the better. VDH is hardly a 'blood diamond', and hope they succeed in giving a larger % of the population a better shave!

2 308
 05-26-2016, 04:18 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
'Hard working ,less affluent sorts of folks'  who hand over their money to 'effluent  companies' will remain less affluent. Interesting numbers you posted. They match the .1% who hold 50 % of the world's wealth. They do so, by noticing  Bullgoose and peers.

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
(05-26-2016, 04:18 PM)kav Wrote: 'Hard working ,less affluent sorts of folks' would who hand over their money to 'effluent  companies' who, representing your 1%ers certainly seem to have noticed the wetshaving community.

Yes, they have. Credit certainly goes to Bullgoose and other small vendors... and perhaps more credit may even be given to Walmart, Target, Amazon, James Bond, and Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars. Thank you to each of these. And for the purposes of this thread specifically, thank you VDH and Walmart!

2 308
 05-26-2016, 06:51 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
My point was about DE razors being available in mainstream outlets. Moreover, said offering is affordable, of good quality and shaves great. No politics here. I am sure the razor Boolgoose sells for $17.50 is also Chinese or Indian. Same difference. Yes, I think we should all support small independent shops and I have bought my fair share of stuff from such establishments. However, as was pointed out before, the point is not Walmart sells this, but rather there is a DE razor on the store shelves in front of mainstream Americans that is an excellent value and works well. I have not tried Boolgoose's razor above, so can't comment, but this VDH TTO rocks! And I bought it on the spot without having to know about Boolgoose's deal (just heard about here fro the first time, and I am a seasoned DE shaver), order and wait. I can also take it back within 30 days and get my money back. There are advantages to brick and mortar shopping.

26 1,739
 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
'No politics' is a polite term for I don't give a damn. You managed to miss product from the creator of this website but not the announcement of the Lotus; another business move displaying 'no politics'.

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 07:44 PM
User Info
(05-26-2016, 07:15 PM)kav Wrote: 'No politics' is a polite term for I don't give a damn. You managed to miss product from the creator of this website but not the announcement of the Lotus; another business move displaying 'no politics'.

I think if you want so badly to discuss politics, kav, you should be doing so on a politically oriented forum. I, for one, would have lots of fun with the likes of you there! (Unfortunately or fortunately, here, political discussion is against the rules. [2. This is a site that is primarily about shaving and grooming. Please keep your political and/or religious beliefs to yourself.])

Also, if you want to discuss Bullgoose products, I'd suggest creating or participating in dedicated threads to such products.

This thread, as much as you can't stand it, is about the VDH razor and its mainstream availability. And it sounds like a great beginner's razor (mild, forgiving, and cheap) that I can recommend to folks that feel more comfortable purchasing locally.

2 308
 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Is English your native language? Politics concerns power struggles by political parties to govern. I was talking about social issues and ethics that impact this curious hobby of ours. I doubt highly you would find any fun with the likes of me. Come back in twenty years when you're interesting.I'm done with  both of you  and this thread.

2 3,171
 05-26-2016, 08:14 PM
User Info
(05-26-2016, 07:54 PM)kav Wrote: Is English your native language? Politics concerns power struggles by political parties to govern. I was talking about social issues and ethics that impact this curious hobby of ours. I doubt highly you would find any fun with the likes of me. Come back in twenty years when you're interesting.I'm done with  both of you  and this thread.

'Blood diamonds', 'living wage', 'lawsuit(s)'... (and on other threads the legality of whaling, and endless non-sequitur, etc.)... not sure how these topics aren't political. But perhaps you are correct, and my English needs a tune up. Foolish me, I thought we were discussing shaving!

We differ on what is interesting, for sure. Discussion I find most interesting when it is a focused, on topic, point of shared interest, rather than deviating into obscure references about ancient demons, dead novelists, or French vocalists. (All interesting in their own sphere, but not as points of distraction.)

In any case, I do hope you'll return to this thread when you have the ability to discuss the VDH or the mainstream trend and availability of traditional wet shaving products.

2 308
 05-26-2016, 08:19 PM
User Info
Easy guys, is just a razor Rolleyes

61 3,796
 05-27-2016, 04:06 AM
User Info
Vladimir....remember no good deed goes unpunished.

54 325
 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
It's sad to see such hostility for no apparent reason.

8 93
 05-27-2016, 11:46 AM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
The discussion went off topic... That same razor is sold under different brand names. It is about $2 on eBay. Cheap does not necessarily mean bad. If it shaves well - fine. Enjoy the shave. Because this is a wet shaving enthusiasts group, we appreciate not only the quality of the shave, but also all the nice things that accompany the shave: looks, feel, aesthetics, scent, design and even the history behind the razor/brush/aftershave/soap!

1 90
 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Wow! In just under 24 hours I seem to have created a storm by uttering the word Walmart! Amazing. Oh, well, back to discussion.

This razor seems a bit better finished than the $2 ebay deal, but I may be wrong. I just did not expect that level of chrome plating on a sub-$20 razor. Merkur 34C can not hold a candle to this in terms of finish at 3 times the price. I have had numerous good quality three piece razors from India that were very inexpensive, but what I like here is that it's available to the "masses". This is what social police misses. Not all people have the privilege of being able to buy a $40 razor. This is why they shop at Walmart. To save money so they can pay rent and buy food for their families. I realize that on this forum we are mostly into the finer parts of shaving, but many of us, including myself started out on the DE shaving journey to do away with the insanity if cartridges. To this end, Walmart's offering of VDH razor and other shaving accoutrements is excellent. Sure Boolgoose and WCS and such are wonderful shops and I definitely shop there, but I am not the typical representative of a mainstream culture, I assure you. Joe the Plumber may like the $17.50 razor at Walmart and that's a good thing.

26 1,739