05-27-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
ok, I'm one of those lucky guys that has sensitive skin, and stubborn whiskers. Right from the start of my wet shaving journey, I 've been using soaps, and believe me, I 've used quite a lot. I've had some really excellent shaves from most of them, but for one thing...irritation, in one form or another. In fact, I have a Simpson Duke3 Best, that I was so tempted to sell at one point, due to irritation from the bristles. But now, it is the brush that I reach for whenever I purchase a new soap...why? Because I've learned that if I get irritated when I'm lathering my face, then that is not a soap that agrees with my skin. When did this epiphany happen? The moment that I tried Mike's shaving soap. I lathered my face, and, hang on! This is a really nice brush, and I actually enjoyed an irritation free face lathering, and the shave was also free from irritation. The only factor that had changed was the soap. So, what I'm trying to say is, if you have sensitive skin, and you've had a really nice shave, but you know that your face should feel better than it does, try a different soap. Finding a soap that agrees with my skin totally changed my shaves for the better. At the moment, I only use 2 soaps on my face, and that's 'Mike's Natural Soaps' and 'Phoenix and Beau', both unscented... I have some Le Pere Lucien to try at the weekend, so fingers crossed. If this post makes the penny drop for just one person, then I'll be happy..

0 297
 05-27-2016, 07:31 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Sensitive skin may also be from dehydration, diet, stress, lack of sleep. People forget it is the body's largest organ. If you can improve any of these factors sensitivity may be managed better.

2 3,171
 05-27-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
Good to hear you are having good results with those soaps. Most artisanal soaps offer unscented versions as well as the soaps you use with comparable attributes if you are interested in adding some more to your rotation.

83 21,078
 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I agree, Str8 Shaver, and I could have started this thread too.  I am starting to believe there are only a few soaps that "love my skin".  And I'm pretty sure, when all is said and done, I'm going to be using "Unscented" products only, too.  

Right now my go-to soap is AoS Unscented (tallow)… in fact, the "clay" scent has turned into a "leather" scent in my mind (and a very natural leather scent too… not a cologny-leather… just straight leather and nothing else).  It should be stated, I am still using other scented soaps, including AoS…. I still have a LOTTTTT of software to down-size, if I go that route fully.

This discovery is a bit bittersweet at first… but I know will be beneficial in the long run.  My hunting days will probably be few and far between (though I leave myself very vulnerable with that statement).

Likely, to be continued….

59 2,825
 05-27-2016, 08:08 AM
User Info
true, I've recently discovered Phoenix and Beau... OMG, It's a real treat when you find another one that clicks with you. I'm hoping LPL works, as I picked up some Martin de Candre from Paris, a couple of weeks ago, and it'll be used on my head I'm afraid... just doesn't work with my face...DAMN!!

0 297
 05-27-2016, 08:12 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-27-2016, 08:08 AM)Str8 Shaver Wrote: true, I've recently discovered Phoenix and Beau... OMG, It's a real treat when you find another one that clicks with you. I'm hoping LPL works, as I picked up some Martin de Candre from Paris, a couple of weeks ago, and it'll be used on my head I'm afraid... just doesn't work with my face...DAMN!!

MdC was one of my first HORRIBLE shaving experiences.  Had razor marks and blotchy skin for 10-20 days from it, it dried me out so bad.

59 2,825
 05-27-2016, 08:33 AM
User Info
ouch, it's an expensive lesson, eh?

0 297
 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
...Quite

59 2,825
 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
Gotta love artisans that offer sample sizes... It makes it a lot easier to find something that won't irritate your face!

0 1,072
 05-28-2016, 06:08 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I use some unscented soaps too.  Le Pere Lucien is really 100% unscented and it delivers great lather.

18 414
 05-28-2016, 06:40 AM
User Info
Have you tried any of the aos tallow editions? The sandalwood is mild enough to not irritate my skin, I think, I'm going through the same process as you right now actually.

28 781
 05-28-2016, 10:44 AM
User Info
To everybody, that suffers from sensitive skin and want to avoid fragrances, also soaps with fragrances in them.

You could try some of the milder scented soaps before you decide to skip them all and just go with the unscented versions.
It makes shaving a little more exciting to still have a little bit of a scent lingering around you.

For me, I used to think I was allergic to some of the stronger scented soaps, and I would probably be, if I used them daily.
What seems to have stopped my allergy was, when I started to collect shaving soaps and cream in a huge number, so I now can shave with a different soap year round, and almost not use the same soap more than twice yearly. This seems to have stopped the allergy. So I suggest go seek out some of the lighter scented soaps, and try to get a rotation of shaving soaps, so you can rotate netween them, so you don't use the same more often than say once a month. It's worth a try at least, I think Thumbsup 

Some of the more lighly scented good/great soaps, I own are:

DR Harris Almond hard tallow soap - very mild nutty aromatic scented soap, fine performance
Savonniere du Moulin - fantastic soap with a mild soapy clean scent to it
Valobra Tallow hard soaps - all 4 are very mildly scented
Klar Seifen - all 3 are very mild
Haslinger - all the 6 Haslingers I have owned were all very midly scented
Martin de Candre Unscented - Still has a faint lavender in the background. Less drying for me, than the two scented versions  
Esbjerg Sensitive - very light lime/verbena scented great artisan cream
St. James of London Geranium-Lavender - very mild scented great cream
Truefitt & Hill - Ultimate Comfort cream, very light lavender
Body Shop Maca Root cream - quite a miild scent, fine performance

24 5,971
 05-29-2016, 01:49 AM
User Info
the fragrance is only part of the problem.. it also has to provide protection, as my shave with LPL showed. It went on well, great lather, but just didn't provide the protection my face needs. YMMV, but for me, the soap has to provide total comfort.

0 297
 05-29-2016, 04:58 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-29-2016, 01:49 AM)Str8 Shaver Wrote: the fragrance is only part of the problem.. it also has to provide protection, as my shave with LPL showed. It went on well, great lather, but just didn't provide the protection my face needs. YMMV, but for me, the soap has to provide total comfort.

Agree.
Many soaps just leave the face feeling burnt, itchy, or beat up. That's from chemicals, whether the irritant is the fragrance or the soap base, or both.
This is different from slickness and cushion problems.
For me it's a lot more important to have products that "work excellent for shaving (with mediocre scent, if it comes to that)" as opposed to ones that "smell great (primarily)
and work only ok".

I also don't really agree that we have "all these excellent soaps to choose from" but maybe that just me and my skin.
IMO, there is a handful of truly excellent shaving products, and hundreds of mediocre ones that leave the face feeling BEAT UP.
Morning rant 5/29.

59 2,825
 05-30-2016, 08:10 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I don't have sensitive skin.  That being said, I did find that some soaps that are heavy on almond oils (the Italians, as a group) and coconut oils (MDC, LPL) can be a bit more harsh/stinging on my skin.

I'd suggest you try the tallow based soaps that have neither almond oils nor coconut oils.  Cold River Soap Works & Mystic Water soaps come to mind.  I can also wholeheartedly recommend Santa Maria Novella shaving cream and analcolico post-shave balm for sensitive skin for a wonderful shave & post-shave skin care.

168 1,387