05-27-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
The title says it all. Disregarding cost and scent, which soaps are your best performers? By performance, I mean to consider pre-shave prep qualities, glide, cushion, residual slickness (for buffing, etc.), skin care qualities, lather that won't likely dry out during shave, ease of lathering and post shave feel. Please try to keep your top soaps to under five choices, with possible honorable mentions if you feel bad about leaving any out. Feel free to also post your disappointments at the end.

My favorites in order:

1. PannaCrema Nuavia - best pre-shave qualities prepping the whiskers like no other soap, residual slickness, glide, and cushion are above average, soap acts like an aftershave like none other so that a splash may not even be required. Post shave feel is tops. Ease of lathering is average. My favorite soap.

2. La Savonniere du Moulin - Very close second, almost a tie for my favorite soap. The very best slickness and glide, and skin care qualities are second to none. Matched in post shave feel with Nuavia, but a completely different kind of feel, more moisturizing and nourishing. Feel on skin during the shave just feels the most gentle, creamy, healthy and nourishing.

(These top two soaps are so good, I could drop all the rest and never use another soap again (not doing that quite yet though Wink ), but for completely different reasons and qualities.)

3. Barrister & Mann - Best 'looking' lather, and stays hydrated in bowl better than any other soap. Top marks in residual slickness and glide. Ease of lathering is second only to MdC. Cushion and post shave is average. All around strong top performer in nearly every category.

4. Czech & Speake - Best cushion, and most protective of all my soaps. Residual slickness is below average, glide is average, but cushion makes up for this. Excellent post shave feel!

5. Martin de Candre - Ease of lather is a the very top of all other soaps here. Skin care qualities are also top of the line, but may not do well for those with dry skin, as it cleans as it shaves. Nothing cleans while shaving like MdC. Stays well hydrated in the bowl. Cushion is average. Glide is above average, while residual slickness is below average. Love the post shave clean feel.

Honorable mentions go to Esbjerg as my favorite cream (and may break into my top 5)... and Mystic Water...

My greatest disappointments are AdP, LPL, and Soap Commander, for various reasons.

Still looking to eventually try MWF, Tabac, SMN, Meißner Tremonia, CRSW, and Haslinger.

2 308
 05-27-2016, 08:28 PM
User Info
I only use one soap, but there are quite a few that are equal in performance. If it is a good soap, then I can make it work for me with my shaves. Shy

83 21,081
 05-27-2016, 08:50 PM
User Info
Nothing has happened with my taste, since I wrote these two threads:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40805

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40800

24 5,972
 05-27-2016, 09:26 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Len, I am curious what you find disappointing in the AdP?

59 2,826
 05-27-2016, 09:56 PM
User Info
Best soaps for me are Barrister and Mann, particularly Hallows, Le Grand Chypre, Beaudelaire, and Fougère Imperiale. Antica Barbieria Colla cream is just as good. I haven't found any others that work as well as these for me. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 05-28-2016, 01:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-27-2016, 08:28 PM)celestino Wrote: I only use one soap, but there are quite a few that are equal in performance. If it is a good soap, then I can make it work for me with my shaves. Shy

Pretty much the same here although I do use more than one soap.

0 1,694
 05-28-2016, 03:38 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Martin de Candre
Castle Forbes
Antica Barbieria Colla
Boellis Panama
Creams I like ToB, T&H, Penhaligon, GFT, Esbjerg

I know that is more than 5

Disappointments other than quite a few artisanal offerings, LPL, meibner. Meibner is a fine paste but the coloring stains.

7 451
 05-28-2016, 03:50 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Mike's
Strop Shoppe
B&M
Cella [le brick]
MWF 

Honorable mention to Valobra/Czech&Speake and Tabac.

1 795
 05-28-2016, 04:12 AM
User Info
Looks like I'm going to have to get busy on Google and figure out what and where all those different soaps are.  Smile

La Terra Verte (Catie's Bubbles) and their La Piement de Vie both work quite well for me.  
For creams I like TOBS and Proraso

0 377
 05-28-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
I'm going to mention vintage Yardley , I always passed my bowls of Yardley along due only to scent. I have had a tub smell like band aids , a few smell like not much at all , but in terms of performance it really is up there with the likes of Valobra IMO.

60 1,542
 05-28-2016, 12:53 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Tallow:
CRSW Select V2
Mike's Natural
Valobra 

Non-tallow:
MDC
LPL Fougere. (This scent performs better for me than other LPL scents)
Floris #89 cream 
SMN cream

168 1,392
 05-28-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
(05-27-2016, 09:26 PM)Nero Wrote: Len, I am curious what you find disappointing in the AdP?

I don't want to bash AdP, as I know its in a lot of guys favorites lists, but it is not a soap for me. Ease of lathering is poor... doesn't do well on residual slickness, glide, or cushion... At the very bottom of the list for staying hydrated in the bowl (lather breaks down quickly), and the lather it does produce is very airy/bubbly. I do give it high marks on post shave feel, and it seems to have a very slight menthol coolness during the shave which I enjoy. (YMMV)

2 308
 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM
User Info
ymmv for certain...
SMN
ABC
Barrister & Mann
Savonnerie du bon Berger (volcans)
Softsoap
XPEC
I cannot count, this is 6...

36 893
 05-28-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
Mike's
Phoenix and Beau

0 297
 05-28-2016, 08:10 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-28-2016, 10:59 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: I'm going to mention vintage Yardley , I always passed my bowls of Yardley along due only to scent. I have had a tub smell like band aids , a few smell like not much at all , but in terms of performance it really is up there with the likes of Valobra IMO.

+1
except that, for me, they stand alone as THE best performing product, soap or cream, I've ever used. From Arko and TOBS to Czech & Speake and Xpec.
I had to edit to include some vintage Penhaligon's of my cousin's I got to try some time ago. It's up there with the Yardley.

7 2,328
 06-01-2016, 11:11 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
Phoenix & Beau leaves my cheeks feeling silky smooth and just ever so slightly numb, like they've been buffed by angels. The bloom water doubles as a pre-shave, at no added cost. The lather erupts in thick pillows of sweet cream that give your skin deep-down protection against multiple passes and buffing. It's endurance and slickness are remarkable: you could play a hockey tournament on this stuff. After a P&B shave, there's no need for aftershaves, witch hazels, lotions, or balms – just pop a rosebud in your lapel, and you're out the door.

5 140
 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
(06-01-2016, 11:11 PM)Bouki Wrote: Phoenix & Beau leaves my cheeks feeling silky smooth and just ever so slightly numb, like they've been buffed by angels. The bloom water doubles as a pre-shave, at no added cost. The lather erupts in thick pillows of sweet cream that give your skin deep-down protection against multiple passes and buffing. It's endurance and slickness are remarkable: you could play a hockey tournament on this stuff. After a P&B shave, there's no need for aftershaves, witch hazels, lotions, or balms – just pop a rosebud in your lapel, and you're out the door.

Sounds awesome! I've got some Sanskrit on the way

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 06-02-2016, 11:15 PM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
In no particular order 
  • Nuavia
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Mystic Water
  • Mike's
  • Jabonman Eufros
  • Meisner Tremonia

0 1,076
 06-03-2016, 12:54 AM
User Info
MWF
D.R.Harris shaving soap

Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream

0 57
 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
Sampsons, with an "a." Great performance during and after the shave, negligible scent. Price is higher than I'd like, but the tub holds enough soap to last a long time.

29 1,776