07-27-2012, 06:17 AM
User Info
Although I've been using a brush and shaving cream from T&H for about 3 years, the real journey didn't begin until February of this year nearly 6 months ago. Specifically, it happened because my brother and I have slowly been getting stuff out of our mother's house a little bit at a time. She gets stressed and upset when too much leaves at once, so we go over for dinner with the grandkids, admire something, she asks if we want it and then we take it. We have to promise not to throw it away and so we end up giving most of the stuff away to friends, co-workers or the salvation army. A few have gone up on eBay.

In February, however, I was staying over and saw an old Gillette razor (turned out to be the travel tech) and a few containers of Wilkinson blades. What the heck, I thought, I'll give it a try. With no guidance, no previous research or study, I went at it. Don't recall how well that shave went, but it changed everything. From that moment since, I've not used a disposable razor with the exception of one night in MN when I couldn't check my bags and had to take a Bic. All other shaves have been DE.

My wife and I live well below our income and so we have some disposable income for other things. What that meant is that by May 5, my shave den looked like this:

The top middle shelf are empty boxes and you can see the number of samples on the bottom shelf. One of the things I discovered is that the sample sizes were insufficient for telling me anything meaningful about shaving soaps and creams. Those samples ended up being included in a sale of Razors I'd eliminated from my rotation.

The razors hanging from the wood bar at the top were my regularly used razors. Interestingly, none of them are in my rotation now and several have been sold.

As of last week, here is the current state of my shave den:

There is the obvious dramatic increase in razors and I feel the need for culling, but cannot decide or bring myself to do much in that direction. There are two SE's that get no love, but I keep thinking I'll go back to try them. A couple of TTO's I cannot bring myself to get rid of. One is my Birthyear Fatboy that Greekguy very generously fixed. Another is a re-plated Aristocrat that came in a mystery box and the other is a Milord that i just like the looks of. My preference is for OC's and some of the closed comb razors, especially the French ones, but having these classic gillettes pleases me.

The top row is nearly all French with the exception of the Gillette Bulldog at the end (thanks Celestino). This is my heavy rotation and the Kirby Beards and Leresche's get most of my love which they return with excellent shaves. I keep the Bulldog up there in case a Merkur shows up in the den and tries to invade the top shelf (sorry...pitiful humor).

The big philosophical change here can be seen in the bottom row with my clear move to soaps. Many of these were to satisfy curiosity as much as anything else, but what you see there are soaps that really work for me: MdC, MWF, Mike's (great performer and i've come to an armistice with the scent of the black pepper/orange/something else),vintage yardley and bombardier (1946!! had an inscription on it), Knize and DR Harris in the Blue Bowl. The chrome bowl on the second shelf from the bottom is the Cade which is still under evaluation and the T&H 1805 is there only as an additive to the triple milled soaps when I want an uberlather.

The other surprise when I look at this pic is the relative paucity (compared to you degenerate enablers) of brushes. Keep in mind that I've given away three (my brother and two people at work) and two others are on loan to another friend who's getting into it. He also has most of the creams I'd assembled.

I suppose the reason for this is that the brush doesn't seem to affect the quality of the shave for me and I'm happy with what I have. Also, there's a robust market for custom brushes and so I tend to look for more unique and bespoke pieces. It's a character flaw, but I get pleasure out of knowing that something I own is one of a kind or at least rare.

Finally, you can see that I have relatively little now in the way of AS and ASB. That did not used to be the case. I stopped acquiring them after discovering the Emerald Water you see in the old bottle in the top left and Oud. The Emerald Water is the most soothing thing I've ever used for an Aftershave and if I want a scent, reach for some Oud oil or some of the pure Sandalwood that I got recently. This leaves my bottles of Floris Santal feeling dejected, so I give them a squeeze every so often just to know they're still loved.

Unfortunately, this pic is already out of date. There are a few more razors on their way and one or two have been pulled from the lineup this morning for sale. I've also put off buying the Calani for too long, so that's got to find a place on the shelf. My lovely bride says that this is cheaper than a mistress, but when I asked her for the mistress price list, she refused to let me confirm.

I enjoy seeing the chronicles of other's in this hobby, so I just thought I'd share mine at the 6 month mark.

EDIT: sorry about the orientation of the pic. I can't figure out how to fix that. It's oriented correctly on my computer, but somehow in the upload, it got all tipsy. I'm assuming it was the weight of the razors on the top shelf.

5 298
 07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome to the addiction club. It looks great and well organized.

100 12,436
 07-27-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
I like that razor stand at the top. did you make it?

40 5,830
 07-27-2012, 06:37 AM
User Info
(07-27-2012, 06:28 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I like that razor stand at the top. did you make it?

Andrew,
You are too kind and the real woodworkers on this site would be horrified at the execution of what was a good concept, but yes, I did make it.

It's just a 2x1 piece of extra wood and using a jigsaw, I cut a triangular opening into the wood into which the razor sits. The cool part of it is that it's constructed such that nothing permanent was done to the cabinet. The length of wood was cut only very slightly smaller than the width of the cabinet and then black electrical tape was applied to the ends to act as shims. As you can see from the pics, I later added another bar (while my wife was out of town-insert shameful emoticon here) just below it and alternated the resting spots for the razors. If I need to, these bars can just be pulled out and tossed and replaced with something more genteel. Total cost? 0 dollars. Used scrap wood and the electrical tape was on hand. I estimate, however, that to have a skilled carpenter do it would have cost somewhere around 500 dollars and so that is what I've allocated for myself for future shaving spend in 2012.

5 298
 07-27-2012, 07:09 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Very ingenious!

nice display work, and congratz on growing your craft(shaving)!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
That looks awesome and quite a nice selection as well. Keep it up! A person can never have too much.... right? Not to mention all the awesome shaves you will get from it and how good you will feel as a result.

7 405
 07-27-2012, 07:45 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Excellent! I LOVE seeing pics like these.

I'm always jealous because my "den" has to reside in the bedroom and the daily supplies have to be carried into the bathroom to shave. There is no room for anything in either bathroom in our house, even a lovely shelf like that one!

Great stuff! (And awesome for you that you can part with something when you no longer use it. I gotta shave hoard thing going on.....)!!! Biggrin

6 905
 07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
(07-27-2012, 06:17 AM)oakeshott Wrote: This is my heavy rotation and the Kirby Beards and Leresche's get most of my love which they return with excellent shaves.

Thanks to this post, I researched French DEs and I must try them now. The Kirby Beard razors look amazing, so I'm now on a quest to purchase one. Thanks for enabling. Tongue

(07-27-2012, 06:17 AM)oakeshott Wrote: I suppose the reason for this is that the brush doesn't seem to affect the quality of the shave for me and I'm happy with what I have. Also, there's a robust market for custom brushes and so I tend to look for more unique and bespoke pieces. It's a character flaw, but I get pleasure out of knowing that something I own is one of a kind or at least rare.

Well put, as the brush doesn't affect my shave either and I have the same character flaw as I tend to shy away from the most popular items and look for custom items. Wink

Thank you so much for a fun read and great post! Thumbup

6 135
 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
User Info
Hey Shave Nook Mods,
Whoever fixed the orientation of the pics, Thank You.

Paisley E,
The Kirby's are expensive and hard to find. Just a warning. One of the overlooked French brands is L'Essor. I have one and was simply shocked at what a great shaver it was and how little I paid for it compared to the Kirbys. I bring this up only because you may be able to satisfy your RAD a little sooner.
oake

5 298
 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-27-2012, 11:54 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Hey Shave Nook Mods,
Whoever fixed the orientation of the pics, Thank You.

That would be me and you are welcome.

173 23,482
 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
Mark, very nice den, my friend. Thanks for the pictures.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Nice! Good ideas too!

So AD can be passed on over the 'net. I always suspected as much.

32 6,308
 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 10:47 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Nice! Good ideas too!

So AD can be passed on over the 'net. I always suspected as much.

Yes. Having a Mac doesn't keep you safe from that virus.

5 298
 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Great den, solid collection and well organized. Something I have to also do; have collected alot of items but have not got around to organizing and properly displaying them. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108