07-27-2012, 07:50 AM
User Info
My mind has been in soap mode for the past month, and I've acquired soaps that I never thought I would MdC was the first, Klar Seifen Sport being the second that has spurred this review. I'd heard of Klar Kabinett, but never the Seifen.

OK, so KS Sport compares quite favorably to MdC, but just how favorably? The best way I know of to determine this is in a review. I have some Klar Kabinett coming in and when it arrives I'll include it into my daily shaves.

I'll add to this as I think I have something to add.

I probably should begin by saying I never thought I would ever actually like flowery scents. Enough on that for now.

Today I shaved with the Klar Seifen Sport. I was going to air it out for a time to reduce the flowery scent, but in hand lathering it last night the scent isn't all that bad on the skin. It's a masculine flowery scent. Not sweet at all, at least to my nose. It's a flowery sharp fragrance. I'm scent sensitive, but my nose has no problem with this scent. It's strong scented in the cup, reduces in strength slightly as it's lathered, but my nose grew accustomed to the scent fairly rapidly.

In use today I deliberately went for an ultra lather. This is a lather that closely resembles yogurt or a butter icing. It's fully hydrated, but contains far more soap solids than would normally be used for the amount of lather produced. The cup is tiny, far too tiny IMO. If the brush is allowed to splay as it's loaded it'll be a mess. So a different technique is called for. After wetting the brush I held the bristles to keep them in a tight round bunch. Then using that tight bunch loaded just the tips on the soap. I used far more than I could have gotten away with, but I was rewarded with the lather I wanted; lots of dense, creamy and slick lather; ultraprotective.

The lather is exactly what you would expect for one of the best soaps (whoops! Did I show my hand?) available. There are no negative qualities to the lather. IMO, it's among the very few of the very best. Except for that PITA tiny aluminum cup. What terrible packaging for such a great soap!

Tomorrow I'll do the "versus" with MdC.

Then if things get uncovered in using these soaps over the course of a week or so I'll add to the thread. Next week the Klar Kabinett will be here and I'll add that to the mix.

Have a great weekend Gents!

Edit: Fixed some errors.

32 6,310
 07-27-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
Thanks Brian for the excellent review. I look forward to hearing more. Smile

6 135
 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
(07-27-2012, 07:57 AM)Paisley E Wrote: Thanks Brian for the excellent review. I look forward to hearing more. Smile

Can't wait! Sounds fun.

6 119
 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Ughhhhh Brian......... I've got the Klar AD now.......Rolleyes

Excellent review. I can't wait for the versus MdC portion.

This one is the Sport, otherwise, there is the Sandalwood and the Classic, correct? Sport scent = Flowery surprises me!

Can anyone describe the scent of the Classic and are the ingredients the same across the range?

6 905
 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
Yes, this is the Sport and you're correct about the other 2 scents.

I went onto the Klar site last night and I saw that the classic has some citrus scent added to the ingredient list. I don't remember what the Sandalwood had.

In fact, there is nothing on the soap cup that tells you what you have. They all just say "Klar Seifen". I was forced to go to the ingredient list to find out what I had.

That would be another negative to the packaging. It would be nice if the package indicated the scent inside.

32 6,310
 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
User Info
Have a sample of Klar Klassic and it smells almost exactly like YSL Rive Gauche (which many says smells like the old Barbasol). Citrus I get not at all, but haven't looked up the scent components of Rive Gauche. But if you are looking for a lemon or lime scent, this is not it. Some have said that there is leather; don't get that yet either.

3 543
 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
Just curious -

Do you all that use Klar Kabinett use it like a stick, or smash it in a bowl?

12 96
 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Great review! I honestly dont know why this soap is so unknown around here, more people need to get there hands on this stuff its nothing short of amazing. I have used both the klar klassic and MDC and feel as if the klar is better than the MDC. I know I know, But the klar is just much easier to lather and the scent is spectacular. I will post up my reviews when I get a chance.

1 73
 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
Yes. Stick, smash and/or grate.

(07-27-2012, 05:24 PM)norton Wrote: Just curious -

Do you all that use Klar Kabinett use it like a stick, or smash it in a bowl?

3 543
 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Brian.

75 20,883
 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried both the Klar Kabinet and the Klar Seifen (sandalwood),as well as other German non tallow shaving soaps,like Riviage and Dittmar,and,when I dont find them as top notch like Martin de Candre,I can tell you that are close enough to be top notch.
Yes,the Klar Seifen is one of those soaps that provides great,creamy lather,and also its skin care properties are very high.

86 7,123
 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Klar Seifen is my favorite soap! I like it even better than MdC. Although truthfully, at this level its really just personal preference. I also find Calani neck and neck with the both of them

9 541
 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM
User Info
Today was Martin deCandres turn.

It's a scent you either love or hate, I don't think there can be any middle ground here, but I find that it's growing on me. I never disliked it, I was just trying to place the scents my nose was picking up... Lavender and Rosemary are the 2 principal scents that I get from it. I've said it before, I'm sensitive to scents, especially synthetic scents. I had no problem with the scent of MdC, except the strength of it. It isn't as srong to my nose as the KS soap is. When the sopa is rinsed from the face I detect none of the scent remaining. The KS scent remains stuck to the skin.

I kept as much as what is required to do the test the same; same brush, same loading technique of using my hand to keep a tight knot even though the better packaging doesn't require it. I didn't time the loading yesterday or today, but just stopped when I had the brush tips loaded.

If anyone doesn't know about MdC, it's fantastic in the lathering and the lather is simply top notch. I won't waste time saying more than that.

OK, Klar Seifen (KS from now on) vs MdC.

KS packaging is the pits, MdC packaging is considerably better.

KS has an immediately likeable scent even if it is a bit strong. MdC scent may take some getting accustomed to it and some folks never can like it.

KS scent lingers quite strongly on the skin after the shave, MdC, if it lingers is quite muted and I don't detect it. I just had the wife check it. Her determination, "Yes it's there, but not overpowering.". I'll do the same thing tomorrow with the KS and get back here.

Both soaps are very high on the skin "goodness" scale. Both are highly super fatted soaps. For this testing I only finish the shave with witch hazel, counting on the soap to moisturize my face. While it's not as good as what I normally use to keep my skin moisturized after the shave, it's OK for the summer (I miss the ultra soothing though). My skin feels pretty good right now, and did yesterday as well.

IMO, these soaps compare favorably to each other where it counts, in the lathering and protective aspects during the shave and after the shave as well. When soaps get this good it's very difficult to pick one out from another as being better. These soaps aren't alone in that. There may be a handful that are this good as far as being superlative in use. Some of those aren't nearly as expensive as these soaps. The difference is in the scent and what is used to make the scent IMO; real vs synthetic. Real scent is far more labor intensive and quite frankly costs more.

I'd really like to have the KS in a "real" container so that I could load both in a more normal manner, but that isn't possible.

So until the Klar Kabinett (KK) comes in, I intend to continue using these 2 soaps on alternate days. Yeah, I know this is a tough assignment that I've given myself, but I'm doing this for the team! When the KK does come in I'll use it and update this KS vs MdC vs KK review.

Have a great weekend Gents!

32 6,310
 07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
I can't wait to see how the KK holds up to both KS & MdC. I'm not a huge floral & rose fan so that's the only thing I knock KK on & that's completely personal preference. With my non-affinity for lavender so far I'm not sure I'd want to drop the $$$ on MdC. Fortunately the different scents of KS may keep me very happy.

31 7,914
 07-28-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
Biggrin Yes, Brian I get it.

Well, if it hadn't been for Fathers Day I never would have considered the MdC, and had it not been for the S/T forum on another site, I never would have bought the KS. I've wanted to try a Klar soap for quite some time and it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. The KS may have also been in this S/T forum, I just don't remember.

I don't know about the Rose especially. The KK may wind up on the S/T forum fairly rapidly becasue of the scent but I intend to give it a decent shot. For the test, I'll judge everything, but I'm most interested in the lather and quality of the soap. Others can judge what they like for scent and choose.

Other than strength of the scent of the KS and MdC, I find them quite pleasant, and I never thought I'd say that about any floral scent. If the MdC didn't have the rosemary it wouldn't work for me. If the KS wasn't a sharp scent that wouldn't work for me either. But these companies hit the nail right on the head to make them right. (IMO)

Scent is a very difficult thing for me to judge, but if others get some of the other KS scents I'm definitely interested in their descriptions of them.

32 6,310
 07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reviews and interesting thread ... and thanks for taking one for the team.

0 140
 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Im truly enjoying this thread.Thanks Brian!

86 7,123
 07-28-2012, 04:05 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I'm in the "I can't stand the smell" crowd when it comes to MdC. This might be crazy but it smells like pine tar to me. Excellent shaving qualities, however. I have a little bit left and the smell has diminished greatly. I won't replace this one regardless of how good it is. My next soap purchase will be Klar Classic unless I pick up the new Windsor instead.

12 743
 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'm having a hard time locating a vendor for Klar Seifen.

43 1,690
 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 06:32 PM)Andrew Wrote: I'm having a hard time locating a vendor for Klar Seifen.

Royal Shave has it. Not sure of other vendors. Edit: Vintage Blades also has it.

3 543