05-29-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
I've absolutely fallen in love with the scent of Proraso White sensitive shave soap. My problem, however, is that, of all of the soaps and creams I've tried, the performance, slickness and post shave feel of the Proraso consistently falls short in comparison.  Has anyone had experience with a performing soap that has a similar (or close enough) scent to Proraso White?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

30 264
 05-29-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
Interesting .

It's lightly menthol. I've always wondered whether menthol was a scent or strictly a feeling.

7 1,314
 05-29-2016, 07:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Proraso is the stunning redhead who can't cook and snorts through her nose laughing. Keep dating other soaps and you will find another.

2 3,171
 05-29-2016, 07:57 PM
User Info
Personally, I don't enjoy the scent of Proraso, but quite a few artisans offer menthol-scented soaps, so you might try getting a few samples, possibly.
Good luck. Shy

82 21,056
 05-30-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
(05-29-2016, 07:52 PM)kav Wrote: Proraso is the stunning redhead who can't cook and snorts through her nose laughing. Keep dating other soaps and you will find another.

Fell off my chair when I read this - hilarious!  And so true. Time for online speed dating...

30 264
 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM
User Info
menthol? 
budget an issue?
yes - Savonnerie du bon Berger (volcans)
no - SMN

36 886
 05-30-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
I always thought that Proraso White was quite similar to many of the White Tea and Ginger scented soaps, unfortunately many don't have menthol in them.

Check out:
Mystic Waters White Tea & Ginger
Reef Point Earl Grey
Soap Commander ??? (Can't remember the name)

4 642
 05-30-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
(05-30-2016, 08:06 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I always thought that Proraso White was quite similar to many of the White Tea and Ginger scented soaps, unfortunately many don't have menthol in them.

Check out:
Mystic Waters White Tea & Ginger
Reef Point Earl Grey
Soap Commander ??? (Can't remember the name)

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll definitely check these out.  I actually don't love mentholated soaps, so the less menthol (or none ideally) the better.

30 264
 05-30-2016, 06:00 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(05-29-2016, 06:55 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Interesting .

It's lightly menthol. I've always wondered whether menthol was a scent or strictly a feeling.

It has a smell also. Kinda camphor/eucalyptus/medicine-y smelling.

10 231
 05-30-2016, 07:43 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Here's a few that come to mind immediately - excellent all!

1.  Haslinger "Schafmilch".  Mild, clean scent, excellent performer (super slick), nice post shave, and extremely economical.
2.  Mystic Water, "White Tea & Ginger".  Subtle scent - same as above.
3.  Stirling "Rosemary & Mint" or "Bergamot Lavender".  Both on the subtle side for scent - same as above.

13 645
 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM
User Info
The Proraso White has a unique scent. Hard to clone. I get tea, menthol, Musc, aloe Vera and oat from it.

A tip:

Mix the Proraso White soap and cream in a superlather to get a better cushion.
Use Proraso White Pre Shave cream before the shave for better post shave feel and slickness.

Thank me later

24 5,842
 05-31-2016, 06:13 AM
User Info
(05-30-2016, 07:43 PM)cmh8890 Wrote: Here's a few that come to mind immediately - excellent all!

1.  Haslinger "Schafmilch".  Mild, clean scent, excellent performer (super slick), nice post shave, and extremely economical.
2.  Mystic Water, "White Tea & Ginger".  Subtle scent - same as above.
3.  Stirling "Rosemary & Mint" or "Bergamot Lavender".  Both on the subtle side for scent - same as above.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I already have the Haslinger Schafmilch and I think it's one of the slickest and best performing soaps I've ever used.  The post-shave feel is also amazingly good.  The scent is similar, but I think the Proraso has more of a woodsy, rose and tea-like quality.  That's why I ordered a sample yesterday of your second suggestion: MW White Tea & Ginger.  I'm pretty excited about the prospects of that soap b/c I've heard that MW performs well (although it may be a little tricky to lather?).  I have other samples coming in, so I'll keep you all posted on my findings.

30 264
 05-31-2016, 06:15 AM
User Info
(05-30-2016, 08:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: The Proraso White has a unique scent. Hard to clone. I get tea, menthol, Musc, aloe Vera and oat from it.

A tip:

Use Proraso White Pre Shave cream before the shave for better post shave feel and slickness.

Thank me later

Claus - Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have the Proraso White in cream, but I do have Top Secret Portuguese cream (w/ lanolin), and I think it could be a cousin of the Proraso White in terms of scent.  I'll try this superlather tomorrow morning and will report back.  Thanks!

30 264
 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Proraso White is my favorite of the line. Claus' scent description is spot on.

49 1,940
 05-31-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
(05-31-2016, 06:13 AM)shaveser Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions.  I already have the Haslinger Schafmilch and I think it's one of the slickest and best performing soaps I've ever used.  The post-shave feel is also amazingly good.  The scent is similar, but I think the Proraso has more of a woodsy, rose and tea-like quality.  That's why I ordered a sample yesterday of your second suggestion: MW White Tea & Ginger.  I'm pretty excited about the prospects of that soap b/c I've heard that MW performs well (although it may be a little tricky to lather?).  I have other samples coming in, so I'll keep you all posted on my findings.

Great choice on the White Tea & Ginger as it is a very lovely scent. Good luck. Shy

82 21,056
 05-31-2016, 08:10 AM
User Info
(05-31-2016, 06:15 AM)shaveser Wrote:
(05-30-2016, 08:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: The Proraso White has a unique scent. Hard to clone. I get tea, menthol, Musc, aloe Vera and oat from it.

A tip:

Thank me later

Claus - Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have the Proraso White in cream, but I do have Top Secret Portuguese cream (w/ lanolin), and I think it could be a cousin of the Proraso White in terms of scent.  I'll try this superlather tomorrow morning and will report back.  Thanks!

You're welcome.

Expense of buying the tube of white shaving cream and the white pre shave cream is less than what an artisan soap will cost. And you keep the White scent, and I almost promise you will enhance your shave by using the 3 Proraso white in combination.

For me I now prefer Myrsol Emulsion and Myrsol Antesol and the 3 GFT Skin foods as preshave. But the White Proraso pre shave is no slouch.
Apply it correct is key.
Wet your face, add an almond size pre shave cream to your palm. Add 5-6 drops of warm water to the preshave cream in your palm. Put your palms together and massage it in to your palms, then massage both your palms on to your beard area. Massage it thoroughly in until you can't see it on your face.

Wet face again in warm water.

Superlather - how to do !

Take the tube of Proraso White shaving cream and squeeze two almond sized portions into your palm. Put palms together and massage the cream out into your palms.
Now put your palms in your beard area and massage the shaving cream into your stubbles. Do it until you start building a bit of proto lather in your face.
Now dip your wet brush in the White Proraso soap pot. Swirl it until the brush is fully loaded.

Take the brush to your face and build the lather on top of the cream on your face. Continue until the lather is flying off your face

You now have a great SUPERLATHER !

Enjoy the shave !

24 5,842
 05-31-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
(05-31-2016, 08:10 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 06:15 AM)shaveser Wrote:

A tip:

Thank me later

You're welcome.

Expense of buying the tube of white shaving cream and the white pre shave cream is less than what an artisan soap will cost. And you keep the White scent, and I almost promise you will enhance your shave by using the 3 Proraso white in combination.

For me I now prefer Myrsol Emulsion and Myrsol Antesol and the 3 GFT Skin foods as preshave. But the White Proraso pre shave is no slouch.
Apply it correct is key.
Wet your face, add an almond size pre shave cream to your palm. Add 5-6 drops of warm water to the preshave cream in your palm. Put your palms together and massage it in to your palms, then massage both your palms on to your beard area. Massage it thoroughly in until you can't see it on your face.

Wet face again in warm water.

Superlather - how to do !

Take the tube of Proraso White shaving cream and squeeze two almond sized portions into your palm. Put palms together and massage the cream out into your palms.
Now put your palms in your beard area and massage the shaving cream into your stubbles. Do it until you start building a bit of proto lather in your face.
Now dip your wet brush in the White Proraso soap pot. Swirl it until the brush is fully loaded.

Take the brush to your face and build the lather on top of the cream on your face. Continue until the lather is flying off your face

You now have a great SUPERLATHER !

Enjoy the shave !

Great tutorial, thanks Claus!

30 264
 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM
User Info
(05-29-2016, 06:49 PM)shaveser Wrote: I've absolutely fallen in love with the scent of Proraso White sensitive shave soap. My problem, however, is that, of all of the soaps and creams I've tried, the performance, slickness and post shave feel of the Proraso consistently falls short in comparison.  Has anyone had experience with a performing soap that has a similar (or close enough) scent to Proraso White?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The one ingredient that the "white" version has that differs in scent profile from the "green" is that the white has thyme flower/leaf extract.  It also mutes (but doesn't eliminate) menthol and doesn't have eucalyptus or camphor.  To me the signature scent of the "green" line is the eucalyptus/camphor mix (with menthol to "open it up").  Its difficult to tell exactly what else the white's scent is since one of the ingredient is "parfum" but when I had the white soap I remember the strong herbal/mint/lemony thyme scent.  So if you're looking for a substitute of the "white" soap or cream, I would look for a cream or soap that contains thyme as one of the main scent ingredients.

84 1,505
 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
(05-31-2016, 12:01 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 06:49 PM)shaveser Wrote: I've absolutely fallen in love with the scent of Proraso White sensitive shave soap. My problem, however, is that, of all of the soaps and creams I've tried, the performance, slickness and post shave feel of the Proraso consistently falls short in comparison.  Has anyone had experience with a performing soap that has a similar (or close enough) scent to Proraso White?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The one ingredient that the "white" version has that differs in scent profile from the "green" is that the white has thyme flower/leaf extract.  It also mutes (but doesn't eliminate) menthol and doesn't have eucalyptus or camphor.  To me the signature scent of the "green" line is the eucalyptus/camphor mix (with menthol to "open it up").  Its difficult to tell exactly what else the white's scent is since one of the ingredient is "parfum" but when I had the white soap I remember the strong herbal/mint/lemony thyme scent.  So if you're looking for a substitute of the "white" soap or cream, I would look for a cream or soap that contains thyme as one of the main scent ingredients.

This is very pragmatic and helpful advice - thank you!  I like your approach and will look for thyme flower leaf extract in artisan soaps, especially where menthol and/or eucalyptus is also present.  TSN is an amazing community . . . because of its members!

30 264
 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
(05-31-2016, 12:24 PM)shaveser Wrote: This is very pragmatic and helpful advice - thank you!  I like your approach and will look for thyme flower leaf extract in artisan soaps, especially where menthol and/or eucalyptus is also present.  TSN is an amazing community . . . because of its members!

Good luck! Unfortunately I haven't seen too many products out there with thyme as a scent though (and don't forget that Proraso white does not have eucalyptus). It might be a good challenge you could issue to one of the soap artisans present on TSN!

84 1,505