05-31-2016, 07:06 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Greetings again fellow wet shavers.

Appreciate the site visits, comments, questions, and purchases thus far. I decided that since there will be fairly frequent updates coming this summer, I'll just keep it in one thread for the time being, then once things level out and updates are less frequent, separate threads will be used for those in the future.

The lineup for shaving soap is pretty well set in stone: Old Norse (Barbershop scent), Tree of Life (Oakmoss & Sandalwood), Ironside (Musky), Hedeby (Tweed), and Citron (Citrus/Bergamot/Menthol) - and those are all currently available at the site (5.5 oz tub). I may add one additional scent with a Lavender base in it within the next month or so.

Small sample tins are also available (~1.7 oz) for each scent. I have been asked about how to lather from the tins, and I would recommend loading like you would in a larger tub, but with a more concentrated 'swirl' to load the brush and then move to face/lathering vessel. You could also physically remove some soap from the tin and spread it about in a lathering vessel.

Viking Shaving Soaps

The lineup for aftershave balm is nearly complete, the mainstay there is the Bay Rum and there is a complimentary scented balm for Tree of Life, Ironside, and Citron (has a great menthol blast to it), and I am awaiting a shipment of new bottles (should arrive in the next few days) to get the Old Norse and Hedeby stocked. One thing I should have mentioned in my introductory post is that while I am a big fan of scents, I do not like them to be overpowering in soap, so you probably won't find my scents to be 'over the top,' and almost all of them bloom when lathered to a nice level. If you go the extra step and use the complimentary aftershave balm, then the scent really jumps IMHO.

Viking Aftershave Balms

Body/bath soaps will be a frequently changing landscape for me as I like to experiment. The base recipe for 'The Dream' - tallow based - and 'Conditioning' - Vegetable based - will remain the same, but I like to play with scents there. I am a huge fan of Lavender, so that will likely stay around in some capacity, and if I find that other scents become popular and generating positive feedback, then those will become regulars as well. You will find that soaps that use essential oils only will be 'named' with the scents, and those using fragrance oils or blends will usually be 'named' otherwise (e.g. Lavender vs. Blom). 

Viking Body Soaps

Not that it will pertain to many here, but I do also have some beard oil available if anyone is interested - I tried it as a pre-shave oil last night and it worked great for that also.

I have been asked by a few folks if international shipping is an option, and yes it is, but I would ask that for now you contact me via PM or at (orders@vikingsoap.com) so we can work out the details one on one to make sure we get everything ironed out properly.

I think that's it for now, thanks again for your interest!

10 233
 06-01-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
Thanks for the updates. I look forward to trying out some of the balms. Soap performance is top notch!

147 3,539
 06-01-2016, 08:56 AM
User Info
I can't wait for the lavender soap!!!! All of Andrews soaps are definitely in my rotation.

15 162
 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
A few updates to share:

We have a new essential oil only scent to offer: Lavender/Cedar. I've been asked to describe which one is predominant, and I would say at first, the cedar, but the lavender takes over the back end, and I'd say overall, it's a nice 50/50 split. Available in both the standard 5.5oz tub and a 1.7oz sample tin.

[Image: LavCedThumb.jpg?w=300]

Also, all soaps (minus the lavender/cedar) now have matching aftershave balms available. The Citron, notably, is mentholated, and I must say has quite a nice cooling blast to it! I've also added a new pump style to the aftershave balm bottles as a few users were having difficulty with the treatment-style pumps with our balm. New orders (with the exception of the Hedeby balm, which is a tad thinner in consistency) will ship with the new pump style head (more like a normal lotion bottle), which are working very nicely.

[Image: NorseBalmThumb.jpg?resize=122%2C300]        [Image: HedebyBalmThumb.jpg?resize=122%2C300]    [Image: CitronBalmThumb.jpg?resize=122%2C300]

We have added a new 'Conditioning' soap scent - Conifer, which smells just like you'd expect it to with that name.

[Image: ConiferThumb.jpg?resize=300%2C202]

I am also working on aftershave splash, but don't expect those to be available until much later in the summer as there's a lot of tinkering going on with ratios, ingredients, etc, but will be sure to update as that progresses.

Thanks for all of your support!

10 233
 06-13-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info
I bet that lavender cedar is a nice scent!

0 413
 06-17-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
Just tried the Lavender Cedar soap. AMAZING!!! I love the scent combination.  It provides amazing slickness and cushion for a great shave. Once I loaded my brush and worked a lather up, I was able to get three full shaves out of it. Highly recommend Viking Shave Products.

15 162
 06-18-2016, 05:14 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(06-17-2016, 04:45 PM)Bloodwood87 Wrote: Just tried the Lavender Cedar soap. AMAZING!!! I love the scent combination.  It provides amazing slickness and cushion for a great shave. Once I loaded my brush and worked a lather up, I was able to get three full shaves out of it. Highly recommend Viking Shave Products.

Thanks so much for your kind words, glad you are enjoying it!

10 233
 07-14-2016, 10:46 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Greetings folks, happy July to ya! Warm and humid here in Iowa, but a nice summer overall, interestingly there seem to be fewer mosquitoes than in recent years... Which I'm cool with.

Have a few updates for you:

1) Lavender Cedar (essential oil only) Tallow-based soap is back in stock, we received very positive feedback on the first batch and it went quick. Scent strength was increased a bit in this batch.

[Image: 20160713_222441_001.jpg]

2) After several requests, I have developed a vegan shaving soap recipe that has been through a few iterations and is now finalized and ready to roll. I only have 4 tubs of this soap in stock right now, and would like to offer them at in introductory price of $10 + shipping (price will normally be $12.00 for the fragrance oil ones and $13.00 for essential oil scents). Please PM me to arrange this as this has not been added to the website yet, but will once the next, larger batch (at normal price) is ready. I have received great feedback from some beta-testers on this recipe and am very happy with how it turned out. The scent for this first small run is our version of Creed Aventus. Thanks to our own @CHSiefert for some translational help. The "Frø" term is Danish for 'seed' to represent only plant-based oils used in this formulation and no animal by-products at all. I've been able to develop this formula to behave very similarly to the tallow-based formula - I have a hard time telling a difference between them.

[Image: IMG_20160713_224425.jpg]

3) Aftershave splash is in the final stages of production and will be available soon on the website, I will update again when ready. I am very excited about how these turned out as well! All will contain menthol. Will be offering the following 3 scents to start with.

[Image: 20160713_220738.jpg]

4) We also have a few new body soaps available (Lavender/Rosemary/Orange) and (Lavender/Cedar) available.

Thanks for your continued interest!

10 233
 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
The products look great. I hope to try them at some point.
The "Golden Age" thread rings truer than ever.

8 917
 07-15-2016, 05:16 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Vegan introductory tubs have been spoken for, but second batch is now available for sale on the website: http://www.vikingsoap.com/?product=vikin...gnar-vegan

Aftershave splashes have been added to the website and are now in stock: http://www.vikingsoap.com/?product_cat=splash

Thanks for looking!

10 233
 08-05-2016, 07:48 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
A few updates from Viking Soap:

1) We have updated our formula to incorporate several bits of feedback received with respect to the hardness of the soap. It was very soft to begin with and we decided to modify a few things to make the soap harder and therefore, easier to load in the tubs. The composition of the oils and butters has not changed, so you will experience the same performance with the soap, just in a slightly harder format. All old stock has been swapped out with the newer formula.

With that being said, I do have a lot of the old formula soap packed into containers that I will let go at a very low price if anyone is interested. PM for details.

2) New soap flavor in the vegan line has just been introduced, "Iceland". This is our take on a more mentholated soap than the 'Citron,' and on top of the mentholated scent, has esesntial oils of fir needle, cedar, tea tree, camphor, and patchouli added. No fragrance oils in this one:

http://www.vikingsoap.com/?product_cat=shaving-soap

[Image: FroIcelandThumb.jpg?w=300]

Thanks for your support!

10 233
 08-12-2016, 07:14 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Just wanted to mention that we are now offering free shipping for orders of $50 and more.

Thanks!

10 233
 08-30-2016, 06:10 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(08-12-2016, 07:14 AM)Viking Wrote: Just wanted to mention that we are now offering free shipping for orders of $50 and more.

Thanks!

Great offer Andrew! 
I'm really enjoying the bar soaps. Well Done!
[Image: OygdVgb.jpg]

59 4,503
 09-21-2016, 09:04 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Well, I guess technically it's still summer!

Just wanted to issue a quick update that all shaving soap samples are now back in stock!

Also, will have a few new body soaps added to the website here in the next week or two. One is a Rosemary Grapefruit (tallow-based), second is a Mint Rosemary Orange (vegan), third is a simple fragrance, 'clean' smelling (vegan) soap.

Will update with pics soon.

Also, I plan to 'up the game' with our scents here soon. I will have at least 2, if not 3 new scents added to the line over the course of the fall. Looking very forward to these!

10 233
 09-22-2016, 05:39 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 09:04 PM)Viking Wrote: Well, I guess technically it's still summer!

Just wanted to issue a quick update that all shaving soap samples are now back in stock!

Also, will have a few new body soaps added to the website here in the next week or two. One is a Rosemary Grapefruit (tallow-based), second is a Mint Rosemary Orange (vegan), third is a simple fragrance, 'clean' smelling (vegan) soap.

Will update with pics soon.

Also, I plan to 'up the game' with our scents here soon. I will have at least 2, if not 3 new scents added to the line over the course of the fall. Looking very forward to these!

Will these be tallow or vegan? I've yet to try your vegan soaps but your tallow soaps are fantastic!

0 8
 09-22-2016, 08:52 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(09-22-2016, 05:39 AM)Rattlehead Wrote: Will these be tallow or vegan? I've yet to try your vegan soaps but your tallow soaps are fantastic!

Thanks for the kind words!

Not 100% sure yet, but will probably start with a few vegan ones since I only have 2 scents for those currently.

10 233
 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM
User Info
(09-22-2016, 08:52 AM)Viking Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 05:39 AM)Rattlehead Wrote: Will these be tallow or vegan? I've yet to try your vegan soaps but your tallow soaps are fantastic!

Thanks for the kind words!

Not 100% sure yet, but will probably start with a few vegan ones since I only have 2 scents for those currently.
Look forward to it, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

0 8
 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM
User Info
I'll keep you in mind for my Christmas wish list.

0 596
 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Howdy again folks!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've taken a hard look at the pricing structure of our products and have decided to lower them.

Shaving soaps with essential oil are now $11.75 each (5.5 oz tub)

Shaving soaps with fragrance oil are now $10.75 each (5.5 oz tub)

Aftershave balms now $11.00 (4 oz)

Aftershave splash now $12.00 (4 oz)

Body soaps now $4.75 (~4.5 oz)

Still preparing to get the new scents going, will update when they are available!

Thanks!

10 233
 09-29-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
Those are great prices on some great products Andrew! Going to have to look at placing me another order! 

Anyone on the fence about trying Viking Soaps should jump on this! You won't be sorry!

147 3,539