06-01-2016, 04:28 AM
User Info
I am not sure where to post this or if it is allowed. So if not allowed please remove the thread.

Badger and Blade have managed to step on their poncho once again. In their infinite wisdom they have taken away all posts/threads that deal with prototype razors or coming to the market razors. This includes Ikon's X3 slant, ATT SE 1 Bamboo, Bull Goose's Rx, the Rocnel SE50. The Colonial General and so on. I guess the administrators there do not want their readers to be informed regarding new products until they are actually available for sale. They have actually removed all threads dealing with these and other products. What an incredibly stupid and short sighted thing to do.

Thankfully that is not the policy here at the Shave Nook and should be a competitive advantage at some point for this shave forum. I know I will spend most of my time here and not there, actually had already made that transition months ago when Panjo appeared on the scene. The Shave Nook is much more open and thoughtful in their approach. Particularly as it relates to new products that are interesting to follow and read people's opinions of them. There is even an area a new product can be introduced by vendor's here.

I find it interesting to read about the Turkish members who are commenting on the Rocnel SE50. All of that is very helpful in understanding the unique design features of the SE50 and how they are translated to the shave. One even talks about it being a "homerun". I did not know baseball was popular in Turkey. Anyway, you get my point. Shave Nook is confident enough to allow meaningful discussion on new products as they go through the process of being introduced and finally manufactured and sold to the shaving public. Apparently, Badger and Blade is not and does not.

51 315
 06-01-2016, 05:24 AM
User Info
I'm kind of at a loss to understand what the issue is here.  Why would B&B management care about discussions of new products?

The whole Panjo and marketplace changes that they did didn't pan out, but I could at least understand what they were trying to do. 

I don't get this.

20 162
 06-01-2016, 05:36 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I can understand and appreciate what they're trying to do. They don't want to let the forum devolve into a hype machine for as-yet unreleased products. If I were an unscrupulous prospector, I could tease a new product, get everyone whipped up into a frenzy, and make a mint when and if I actually release a product.

However, one of the things that I enjoy most in a shaving community is discussing and speculating on what a new design might entail. In particular, I really like marvelling at novel concepts, even if they don't make it to market.

The other flaw is the selective enforcement of this rule. There are numerous examples of people talking on that site about as-yet unreleased products. If you happen to have curried favor of the moderators there, you can talk about your new product until the cows come home. However, if you happen to run a competing forum, or if you have done something to make the moderators angry in the past, they can remove your thread without warning and without discussion.

It may take a while, but I believe this policy will be their undoing. I'm not in any way rooting for the forum to decline. I have a strong affinity for the members of that community. But I rarely feel like posting there, because I don't want to have to wonder if my post will make the wrong person angry, or violate some rule that a moderator felt like enforcing, and end up in the dust bin. I put a ridiculous amount of thought into every post I make, and when that gets undone at someone's whim, without even a friendly heads-up, it hurts.

22 824
 06-01-2016, 05:56 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I don't know.  This whole concept of crowdfunding sort of throws the entire business model for a loop.  Things like Kickstarter and indiegogo allow you to support projects with certain benefits once the drive meets its funding level.  It puts everyone who supports a project in the position of benefitting from a successful fundraise.  How do you separate someone being excited about a new product from one who really, really wants the drive to be successful so that he gets his prize?  The Rockwell guys appear to be innovative and to deliver on what they promise.  Can we say the same thing about the guys that were making that laser razor a year ago?

0 1,137
 06-01-2016, 06:05 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Websites and forums are private property without the social contract of our radio and print media. The ideal of free speech doesn't apply. If a HELLO KITTY forum wants to ban pink kitty discussion  The only option is to patronize a HELLO KITTY forum that allows pink kitties.

2 3,171
 06-01-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
No offense, but why do you care what the owners of a different website have to say and why post about it here?

If you are that upset, send a B&B admin a message with your concerns.

I don't see much use for this thread.

18 586
 06-01-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
Threads and posts getting deleted and locked down due to politics and moneyed interests is pretty disgusting, on any forum.

I also like when a forum thinks of its members as more than children that, as adults, can make up their own minds on products and others' opinions.

2 308
 06-01-2016, 06:09 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't have the right to run their forum any way that they see fit. They absolutely do, and if anyone started calling for any sort of infringement on any forum's right to be run the way the owners want to run it, I would absolutely be on the front lines of that fight.

That doesn't, however, mean that I have to be as enthusiastic about posting on said forum. I don't like our brothers over at that forum any less. I just find that I've lost my zeal for spending more than 30 seconds composing a post to put on there, because I don't know if it will still be there the next day.

22 824
 06-01-2016, 06:20 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I also must agree with Elendil. Crowd funding definitely complicates things. How do you differentiate between Rockwell and the Lazer Razor? What specific rule will allow the former and prevent the latter?

Personally, in the end, I think it comes down to this simple quote from many centuries before the birth of Christ:

"Laws are made to instruct the good, and in the hope that there may be no need of them; also to control the bad, whose hardness of heart will not be hindered from crime." - Plato

In other words, good people do not need rules to behave, and bad people will find ways around the rules.

And in response to PanChango: I think people want to talk about it here because they want the moderators here to know that a) they appreciate the decision to allow this discussion and b) they hope that a similar decision is not made here.

22 824
 06-01-2016, 06:42 AM
User Info
A quick recap of the rules gentlemen; No badmouthing other shaving sites, no direct discussion or linking to eBay actions, crowdfunding (before they hit production), groupbuys etc.

As pointed out this thread serves little useful purpose; it is therefore locked.

3 4,374