06-01-2016, 10:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was walking home from the market this morning; my rucksack holding a gallon of milk,  canned foods,cheese,butter,frozen fish, 2 bottles of wine.Two sacks holding fresh produce and a chocolate bar in my breast pocket. 30 minutes military pace and
geeze I'm getting to old and in to good of shape to do this.
I sit down and watch MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS while catching my breath and having a healthy meal ;wine,sausage
bread and cheese. I look at the multiple cases of luggage, the hat box, the dedicated toilet items. Geez again, did people really lug all that stuff?
I think of dedicated shaving kit for travel; the Wee Scot brushes, vintage razors with sectional handles or shortened length. WHY? I can see it for infantry moving fast and light with every ounce thought out. But what was, or is the advantage now?

2 3,171
 06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info
For me? Space and weight - the GoBag is only so big  Wink

3 4,483
 06-01-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
They didn't pay $25 to check each bag - each way on the Orient Express. Nor did they have to deal with 3 oz limits due to TSA regulations.  Now days if all of your travel gear/clothes doesn't fit in to a slightly over sized shoe box and weigh just under that of a 2 liter bottle of soda you have to endure having your bag gate checked and the scornful look of the unpleasant gate agent.  Otherwise you have to shoe horn you bag in to the every shrinking overhead compartment only to have the flight attendant move it 12 rows back to make room in the overhead for the person who did not want to check the soft sided steamer trunk then have to wait for everyone to deplane in order to retrieve your bag which defeated the purpose of paying the extra $25 for the seat 4 rows back from first class that has the 1 3/4 inches of extra leg room and allow you to get off the plane quicker to make it to the next gate because of the 35 minute layover and you already landed 17 minutes late.

Then again they tell us that travel is so much better these days. Angry  I have to fly next week for work and do not look forward to the colossal hassle.....

4 465
 06-01-2016, 12:36 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Back in the day, travel was luxurious. Leather luggage; porters, cocktails and uncompromised service. 
Nowadays, it is..at best...an arduous task.

168 1,378
 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I wanted to stimulate a discussion on present day travel kit. Long before Hobbits and Imperial Storm Troopers I woke up one morning @ 1A.M. at the impressionable age of 5. I turned on our Monochrome T.V. with 13 channels to the late Show and was enthralled by a movie that remains my favorite and fervent wish someday it would happen . Sadly, except for  mad pilots, surly refueling crews and mobs fighting to board that part
hasn't happened.

2 3,171
 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
BTW Kav I agree with you. I don't think a miniature brush or razor (compared to their normal sized counterparts) is necessary. Not like a few mm in knot size or handle length is gonna lighten my load. 

Unfortunately, those small "travel sized" liquids are mandatory.

168 1,378
 06-01-2016, 04:51 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
MI'm leaving for a holiday next week spending a week in Vienna, a week in Winchester and a week in Aberdeen.  My shaving and toiletry kit comprises:

A medium Muhle synthetic shaving brush
A Harris Lavender shaving stick
A Sensor handle and 4 cartridges
A styptic pencil
A 60ml bottle of AV Original Sport aftershave
A German-made black boar bristle hair brush
A Kent comb
A toothbrush
A 50 ml tube of toothpaste
A 60ml bottle of shampoo
A 50ml bottle of hair gel
A stick of lip balm
A 60 ml tube of Uremol hand cream
A small pack of Q-tips
A couple of thingies of dental floss
An emergency role of toilet paper
A couple of pocket packs of Kleenex
A Deoderant stick
A dozen or so Tylenol
A few BandAids
A small bottle of sanitary hand cleaner

All the above fits into my LL Bean small personal organizer toiletry bag and the one litre plastic bag for liquids, etc., which I carry in my carry-on bag.  In my carry-on bag I'll also have my travel documents, reading material, earphones, iPad, complete change of clothes and down sweater.  In my checked bag I'll have 3 pairs of trousers, 6 pairs of underpants, 6 pairs of socks, 6 shirts, a hat, a pair of walking shoes, a Goretex rain suit, PJs, a pair of sandals, miscellaneous electrical converters and plugs, a small sewing kit and a role of duct tape.  On the flight over I'll be wearing an unstructured sports jacket, dark (washable) trousers, underwear, socks, sturdy shoes and money belt.  Actually, if I want to I can fit everything into an unstructured LL Bean Quickload Travel Pack, a nylon bag with compression straps that meets airline carry-on size and weight limits and have done so on several occasions.

7 909
 06-01-2016, 05:51 PM
User Info
I skip the minature shaving gear and take along regular sized items.

Most razors are small enough they don't have to be broken down any farther.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 465
 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(06-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Cincinnatus Wrote: I skip the minature shaving gear and take along regular sized items.  

Most razors are small enough they don't have to be broken down any farther.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes. That's what I think of my 1975 Gillette travel razor.   Biggrin

18 415
 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
If Blaireaux Plisson had made their synthetic brush back in 1915, you can bet it would be standard issue in French army kits. The synthetic fiber brush is a game-changer for travel, IMO. Soft, whips up lather in a hurry, and dries in minutes instead of days. Combine with a sturdy Palmolive shave stick (which I'm convinced one could lather with ocean water), and you can get a class-A shave in the Marne or the Mandarin Oriental.

16 1,027
 06-10-2016, 11:22 PM
User Info
Gotta have a synthetic brush for travel since they dry fast. So I bought the travel handle version for when I am low on space. Since then I have a full size synthetic that I much prefer.
For soap and cream the TSA is a pain so I have small containers for those too. Or shave sticks

6 738