06-02-2016, 09:16 PM
User Info
I shower shave exclusively, and wouldn't have it any other way. It will be awkward at first for those used to shaving in front of a mirror, but once you get used to it, there are several distinct advantages:

1. It forces you to 'shave by feel', and if you rely on sight too heavily in the mirror, you confuse or partially block out what feedback is gained by touch alone. For example, a person can never see the closest possible BBS shave vs. a DFS or CCS. One has to feel it to know the difference. Also, shaving by feel heightens one's senses to the proper angle and blade exposure. One can only approximate these things by sight, but it is known, and can be adjusted instantly by touch. With practice, this will ultimately result in closer, safer shaves.

2. Better hydration. The humidity from the shower and closer access to a water stream ensures slicker shaves, and better pre-shave prep with cleaner and more open pores. These aspects/benefits cannot be fully duplicated in front of a mirror and sink.

3. Less mess and easier cleanup. Sick of water, lather, and shaved whiskers all over your body, clothes, and sink-top? These are instantly and effortlessly washed away whilst shaving in the shower. No mess.

4. Comfort. You just can't beat the comfort of a long, hot shower. Who wouldn't want an excuse to take longer, more soothing showers under that massaging, spa-like stream? And to do so while shaving, now that is bliss x2! The closest thing to having your own shave maidens massage you while shaving. This is something no messy sink can ever offer!

No doubt there is a learning curve and adjustment period to switching from the mirror to the shower, and may not be comfortable at first. But if you persist, and master the shower shave method, you will soon be experiencing the best, most aware, cleanest, most luxurious, most comfortable shaves of your life!

2 308
 06-03-2016, 01:29 AM
User Info
I agree with your post, after I tried my first shower shave with a DE (it was my 4th shave ever) yesterday. 

While I thought it would go like your post (mentally) but (physically) it was difficult to do my face, then head with virtually no shaves under my best. I avoid a disaster, no nicks nor cuts. But, like a Atlanta Brave reliever, I didn't have the stuff-yet.

I cam to your same conclusion :

"No doubt there is a learning curve and adjustment period to switching from the mirror to the shower, and may not be comfortable at first. But if you persist, and master the shower shave method, you will soon be experiencing the best, most aware, cleanest, most luxurious, most comfortable shaves of your life!"

Seeking to exhibit patience while I get there with time and experience. 

0 37
 06-03-2016, 01:44 AM
User Info
I might give shaving in the shower a try.

1 400
 06-03-2016, 03:28 AM
User Info
I shave my head in the shower, but not my face.

48 5,717
 06-03-2016, 04:10 AM
User Info
I used always do it this way when I was a cart shaver...but not since switching to DE/other traditional razors.

8 896
 06-03-2016, 04:30 AM
User Info
I find it to be a total waste of water and heat personally.  But I'm a cranky old man in training.

84 1,505
 06-03-2016, 04:37 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I shower shave exclusively (unless traveling) but use a little fogless shave mirror which works well.

Eric

46 931
 06-03-2016, 05:03 AM
User Info
I was a shower shaver for years before discovering traditional shaving. Sure, it did feel good to stay in the shower a while and my shaves were pretty good. But I often ended up missing spots and going to work with some patch of unshaven hair. I prefer shaving in front of a mirror where I can see exactly what I'm doing. Also, I did always feel like I was wasting water.

38 1,159
 06-03-2016, 08:45 AM
  • HUF
  • Massachusetts
User Info
It's like shaving in the dark... If I ever try shower shave, I will use a fogless mirror for sure. Then, it probably will not qualify for a shower shave anymore.

1 90
 06-03-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
(06-03-2016, 08:45 AM)HUF Wrote: It's like shaving in the dark... If I ever try shower shave, I will use a fogless mirror for sure. Then, it probably will not qualify for a shower shave anymore.

Not a bad idea for those wishing to dip their toes in the water so to speak, and you'd still get benefits #2-#4 of the OP! If I still felt really uncomfortable not being able to see, this would be my solution.

2 308
 06-03-2016, 02:45 PM
User Info
I can shower shave relatively successfully. However, there are a couple huge detractors in my experience. First, the constant heat increases blood flow at the skin surface. For those with decently elastic skin this means that less of the hair follicle will be exposed for shaving as the skin has swelled up around it. The result is a smooth shave that doesn't seem to last as long as you feel the hidden stubble reveal itself as the swelling in your face goes down. Second, as others have mentioned it is a huge waste of water compared to what I normally use. Would you jump in the shower to wet your toothbrush and then leave it running the whole time until you were ready to rinse it off? I'm by no means a tree hugger, but water and heat costs money and I'm not into the constant flow of greenbacks down the drain.

31 8,055
 06-03-2016, 03:55 PM
User Info
I've done it several times and generally like it.  When I'm in a hurry, I always shower shave with a cart.

0 168
 06-03-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
I only take baths, so I doubt this would work for me. Biggrin

82 21,056
 06-04-2016, 01:47 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Never have shaved in the shower. Now that I use mostly straight razors I don't think it would be a good idea for rust prevention on the blades.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-04-2016, 04:02 AM
User Info
(06-03-2016, 05:55 PM)celestino Wrote: I only take baths, so I doubt this would work for me. Biggrin

Celestino, as a confession, the only thing more luxurious than shaving in the shower, is shaving in the bath. Wink

2 308
 06-04-2016, 05:59 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(06-03-2016, 04:30 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I find it to be a total waste of water and heat personally.  But I'm a cranky old man in training.

Hmm, yeah I'm stuck between this and the lure of a better shave.

I do remember when I was young, my father shouting at my older sister when she took too long in the shower:

EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY.

57 2,549
 06-04-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
(06-04-2016, 05:59 AM)Nero Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 04:30 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I find it to be a total waste of water and heat personally.  But I'm a cranky old man in training.

I do remember when I was young, my father shouting at my older sister when she took too long in the shower:

EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY.

That's the thing though, isn't it, the lure of a better shave. 

Is it more wasteful to buy more soaps, brushes, and razors we don't need, or to use a few extra gallons of water in the shower that ends up getting recycled anyway (does not hurt the environment)? The water is certainly cheaper, way more! Like pennies in most places. If you can afford an extra puck of soap you don't need, that may not ever even be fully used, the extra few minutes in the shower costs so little in comparison, it's hard to even calculate. Heck, tap water is so cheap in most locales, if you are renting, water is free!

As for time, you're actually saving time by shower shaving over sink shaving. To shave while you're showering gets 2 things done at once, so there is less set up, and clean up is instantaneous. You are guaranteed to get out of the bathroom quicker by shower shaving.

2 308
 06-04-2016, 08:06 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(06-04-2016, 07:50 AM)Len Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 05:59 AM)Nero Wrote:

EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY.

Is it more wasteful to buy more soaps, brushes, and razors we don't need, or to use a few extra gallons of water in the shower that ends up getting recycled anyway (does not hurt the environment)? The water is certainly cheaper, way more! Like pennies in most places. If you can afford an extra puck of soap you don't need, that may not ever even be fully used, the extra few minutes in the shower costs so little in comparison, it's hard to even calculate. Heck, tap water is so cheap in most locales, if you are renting, water is free!

(Please take all this lightly, I am in the middle and just playing devil's advocate.)

I don't know if it is that simple. Haha

Lots of people have ethical issues over these types of things.

A lot of people would say it does hurt the environment.

Others would say there is a (sort of) finite amount of water (you can run out, depending on one's geographic location).

Others would say it's just not good practice to be wasteful (of anything)...for their own various reasons.

I think most people in the East USA (where I am originally from) do NOT think of water as "scarce".
People in the West USA think differently, on average: Water can run out.

As well, younger people generally are more sensitive to environmental issues, all else equal.

57 2,549
 06-04-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
(06-04-2016, 08:06 AM)Nero Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 07:50 AM)Len Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 05:59 AM)Nero Wrote: Hmm, yeah I'm stuck between this and the lure of a better shave.

EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY.

(Please take all this lightly, I am in the middle and just playing devil's advocate.)

I don't know if it is that simple. Haha

Lots of people have ethical issues over these types of things.  

A lot of people would say it does hurt the environment.

Others would say there is a (sort of) finite amount of water (you can run out, depending on one's geographic location).

Others would say it's just not good practice to be wasteful (of anything)...for their own various reasons.

I think most people in the East USA (where I am originally from) do NOT think of water as "scarce".
People in the West USA think differently, on average: Water can run out.

As well, younger people generally are more sensitive to environmental issues, all else equal.

I guess it is locale dependent, as water in a desert is harder to come by. But even in a desert, if your community has modern (1st world) water reclamation, that water is treated and recycled, no waste.

I just find it a little ironic in a forum that overall is known for stocking up shaving gear like the apocalypse is coming, using extra water would be the greater concern... As water tends to be recycled... But killing countless badgers is okay (or using petroleum products for synthetics) for a brush collection you could make a coat out of, creams drying out or soap going bad is par for the course, and razor collections gather dust in a case...

To me, it's a rationalization that doesn't hold water (pun intended).

2 308
 06-04-2016, 08:31 AM
User Info
(06-03-2016, 04:10 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I used always do it this way when I was a cart shaver...but not since switching to DE/other traditional razors.

Me too -- I was using the disposable Schick ST2 twin blade. I still keep a couple around and, when super rushed, I will do the "quick shave while showering". But, as others have mentioned, I dislike wasting so much water, both for the personal expense and the feeling of "hogging" the shower. Also, the environmental cost is real, and wasting water (hot or cold) is not the way to be a good steward of the planet.

Really though, I have come to cherish the whole practice of shaving; standing quietly over the sink, hearing the whiskers being cut, smelling the wonderful aroma of whichever gourmet shaving soap I've chosen, feeling the soft badger against my skin, the gentle sound of the water, and even the cleanup at the end. I guess if I get bored with my regular shave ritual and lose my appreciation for the minutia of shaving, I might easily go back to my ST2s and regular bath soap in the shower, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

[Image: toonvectors-36840-940.jpg]
On a related note, I do often brush my teeth while showering.

5 395