07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Opening Ceremony = Proud to be British. That is all.

23 1,872
 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Very impressive opening ceremony so far. I'm a huge fan of Danny Boyle's work!

35 1,732
 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM
User Info
Being of English and Scottish decent (with a name like Arley Canterbury, does it get more British?) I must say I was very disappointed with the Opening Ceremony.

The only parts I truly enjoyed was the film in the beginning and the Queen with James Bond entrance.

I think Danny Boyle should be drawn and quartered for that mess..although I probably am not the best judge of those things
Undecided

5 833
 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Us too! Really, really impressed that the Queen threw herself into it; and the whole thing started by the Tour de France winner. You can't beat that. Went in expecting to be disappointed, but LOVED it. Go team geeb.

1 290
 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I thought it was a great opening ceremony. Loved the Corgis!

Ol' Sir Paul was a little choked up there at first.

The whole Ralph Lifshitz debacle with team USA dressed in garments made in China was embarrassing. AND he charged $1500-1900 for them. Ouch. Shame on him.

Great fireworks! Fantastic spectacle!

Bravo to London.

5 270
 07-28-2012, 03:30 AM
User Info
Not a Brit myself, but I do work in live production and thought the opening ceremony was very well done. The stadium wide LEDs made for a fantastic view for those of us at home and to see and hear the story of the different periods of development was neat for those of us who may not know much of the history of England.

6 135
 07-28-2012, 03:42 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I missed the opening ceremonies last night but will watch it today. I am sure it was spectacular as usual and wish all the countries good luck.
Let the games beginBiggrin

100 12,437
 07-28-2012, 05:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I enjoyed watching the military gents carrying the flag up the hill and raising it while the children sing and signed the national anthem.

I would have liked to watched more but right after they got through with that, the darn electricity went out.

173 23,490
 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Me and the family thought it was fantastic, well done Danny Boyle......I felt proud to be British and I have not said that for a long time!

0 62
 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
One drawback of not having cable TV. Oh well, but i do not miss it.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
Quite complex and spectacular. Not equal in any way to the Beijing show, however. And here in Seattle, by the by, we say "Keep clam."

183 12,002
 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I thoroughly enjoyed the Opening Ceremony for the 30th modern day Olympiad

The presentation went quickly, with enough commentary that I could follow what was being highlighted.

The walk-of-nations went so quick that I had to keep pausing for the smaller groups Tongue so I could read the notes on the tele

Capped it off with an excellent view of Sir Paul doing Hey Jude, wow... noticed that the USA camera seemed to represent our own Team USA enjoying Paul more so than the Team Brits during Hey Jude... but the stadium crowd seemed into it

My final thoughts... how cool would it be to have a life-time job of planning/engineering/building in each country/city the games are hosted!!! Of course I enjoyed my time stationed in Europe (late 80s/early 90s) and love to be able to mingle with other cultures, so that may be just one of my fantasies

(07-27-2012, 06:53 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Opening Ceremony = Proud to be British. That is all.

Hey Mike, one thing that irked me was that they didn't play the Clash "London Calling"!!! how cool would that have been!

9 1,684
 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
Yes. Very nicely done.

The singing of traditional UK songs was an unexpected, wonderful highlight.

0 140
 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
Incredible & very moving I thought, but I'm a soppy old get.

Only downside was Sir Macca dragging Hey Jude out again.

I swear when we finally make contact with the extra-terrestrials he will be there singing it to a stadium full of martians.

1 630
 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-28-2012, 10:03 AM)gijames Wrote: Hey Mike, one thing that irked me was that they didn't play the Clash "London Calling"!!! how cool would that have been!

Hi James

I may have missed it, but "London Calling" would have made an excellent addition to the "21st Century Land" part of the opening ceremony.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
User Info
I really liked the ceremony. And I was delighted with the Rowan Atkinson scene! Laughing1

2 5,527
 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(07-28-2012, 11:48 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Incredible & very moving I thought, but I'm a soppy old get.

Only downside was Sir Macca dragging Hey Jude out again.

I swear when we finally make contact with the extra-terrestrials he will be there singing it to a stadium full of martians.
Heard that exact view SO many times now. At least it was pretty good in the round. The Queen did herself a huge favour joining in like that.

1 290
 07-29-2012, 05:45 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Awesome opening ceremony.

Yes one can be critical and say that it was high in pageantry, complexity, length, or that the flame was hidden, the traffic is unbearable, the city has become chaotic, etc.; the latter being a non-exhaustive list of criticisms and complaints I have seen individuals complaining about on the news. But when was the last time an Olympic opening ceremony was not one of these things or did not cause one of these things.

I think people need to chill, sit back, enjoy the games and adopt a "Keep Calm and Carry On" approach to the whole situation. I am sure that the British will do an exemplary job in their undertaking of the Herculean Task of hosting a modern Olympiad in the bustling urban center of London.

Enjoy the Olympics and Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
Enjoyed the opening ceremonies. Very creative and well done. Surprised by the participation of the Queen in the James Bond segment but that made it all the more enjoyable.

29 1,731