07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
When I was a kid we used to vacation in Cape Cod every summer with my late father. Cape Cod has always held a special place in my heart, it arouses an overall sense of well-being, reminiscent of a simpler by gone era.

Anyways, I am actually headed to the Cape in August for a week, after about 15 years. I remember being a kid and purchasing fish directly from the fishermen at the Chatham Pier. I did some research online and saw that they now have the Chatham Pier fish market and restaurant. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the fishermen still sell directly to the public or if the fish now have to be purchased through the fish market?

Back in the day when the boats arrived it was a spectacle, you would watch the fishermen unload their catches from the top of the pier and you could bargain with them to purchase what and how much you wanted. I was wondering if things are still the same? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Shaving Sam.

0 108
 07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Sounds like you have a lot of awesome memories of that place. I hope your holiday lives up to at least some of those memories.

I've never been there so I'm not much help, but if no one else knows maybe google can help.

7 405
 07-27-2012, 09:58 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
(07-27-2012, 09:54 PM)krissy Wrote: Sounds like you have a lot of awesome memories of that place. I hope your holiday lives up to at least some of those memories.

I've never been there so I'm not much help, but if no one else knows maybe google can help.

Thanks again for the good words Krissy. Can't wait for the trip. Sam

0 108
 07-28-2012, 06:30 AM
User Info
I was born and raised in that area. Been a while since I lived there. I'll email a relative and see if you can still get fish at the wharfs.

2 62
 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
(07-28-2012, 06:30 AM)Alan Wrote: I was born and raised in that area. Been a while since I lived there. I'll email a relative and see if you can still get fish at the wharfs.

Hello Alan,

I would really appreciate the information. Thanks.

Sam.

0 108
 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Check out Monomoy Island when you're out there. Beautiful, secluded, and full of seals!

9 408
 07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Don't forget to post pictures when you get back for those of us who haven't been there before.

7 405
 07-28-2012, 02:29 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I was at Cape Cod back in the early 70s on vacation and loved it. I remember seeing all those blue claw crabs going down stream and some fisherman trying to net them.

100 12,449
 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
I am at the Cape all the time. It is my favorite place to be.

I am not in Chatham much as I prefer to go all the way out to Provincetown. From what I see, there aren't many fishermen who sell directly off the dock in any regular schedule. The one fisherman I know in Provincetown sells to markets in the area only. Fresh markets are your best bet, enjoy!

2 65
 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 02:24 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: Check out Monomoy Island when you're out there. Beautiful, secluded, and full of seals!

Just don't get bit by a shark!

72 1,407
 08-03-2012, 01:47 AM
User Info
Checked with the relatives. Most of the wharfs now have enviornmental inspectors hanging around so its rare to be able to buy off the commercial boats. If you can find a sport fisherman coming in they may sell you some, otherwise its the fish market.

Times have changed.

2 62