06-10-2016, 04:29 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
For those interested Dominica Bay Rum appears to be in stock at 

http://www.calantilles.com

Not sure if I am just playing with an old website or not but it allowed me to add it to my cart and took my payment. I remember it was "out of stock" for the longest time on the website but it appears to be available!  The Lime too!

168 1,384
 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM
User Info
You are correct. I just ordered the bay rum. Thanks for the heads up.

0 61
 06-14-2016, 01:42 PM
User Info
I received a delivery of the aftershave from them a couple weeks ago.  I have a bar of Dominica soap on my desk to lightly scent my office.  Wonderful stuff.

9 55
 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Dominica's bay trees were hit by blight and even limes were in short supply at one time. One of the interesting opportunities renewing ties with Cuba is that island's bay
trees. The embargo has benefited many natural wonders left untouched or grown without a lot of chemicals.

2 3,171
 06-27-2016, 10:38 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
Great link.  Thanks!  I actually ordered the AVA coconut butter infused shave soap from Dominica.  Been to that Island before but I wasn't checking for shave products lol.

129 320
 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM
User Info
Good news

0 84
 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
For those that have tried both, how does this compare to Derby Chop Shop?

Also, regular or w/ Lime?

13 494
 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
The Chop Shop smells sweeter than either of the Dominicas, with not quite the same amount of burn. Both evaporate quickly upon application and the scent doesn't linger. Great face feel afterwards on all of them. Dominica Lime and CS are my two favorite alcohol-based aftershaves even though I don't usually have a thing for spicy concoctions. If I had to live with one it would be the Dominica.

29 1,776
 06-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  • Steelman
  • Delaware
User Info
I own Domenica, Domenica Lime and DC Chop Shop. 

Domenica and Domenica Lime are pure, authentic Bay Rums. They are made with a quality alcohol base and Bay Leaves. Nothing else. No cloves, cinnamon, spices, etc. (except pure lime for the Limes version).  They are THE authentic bay rums. 

Derby City Chop Shop is more of a spicy concoction made with bourbon, bay leaves and many spices. An updated Bay Rum with a twist. 

They are each high quality. The Domenicas are lighter, cleaner and have more of a burn. They are also more fleeting. The Limes may stay around a few hours, the regular bay rum is gone in under an hour. I tend to use them in warmer weather. They are a very nice, healing aftershave that makes your skin feel very clean. The Chop Shop can be used in warm weather but I prefer it in cooler weather. It lasts (on me) up to 8 hours. As far as lasting power, it's Chop Shop > Domenica Lime > Domenica. 

They are all relatively inexpensive and all definitely worth owning. I'd give the slight nod to Domenica Lime over the regular.

168 1,384
 07-07-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
I've decided to move away from citrus-based products (because reasons), so no more Dominica Bay Rum Lime. Instead, I've got a new bottle of straight Bay Rum. The distributor Calantilles likes to change bottle shapes (all 10 oz.) from batch to batch; this one is taller and comes corked as opposed to my earlier BRL bottle which is shorter and sports a twist cap. Unfortunately, allergies/stuffy nose keep me from enjoying the scent, but I'll assume it's as mildly spicy as earlier versions. All my software at the moment is "unscented."

29 1,776
 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM
  • Steelman
  • Delaware
User Info
(07-07-2016, 07:52 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I've decided to move away from citrus-based products (because reasons), so no more Dominica Bay Rum Lime. Instead, I've got a new bottle of straight Bay Rum. The distributor Calantilles likes to change bottle shapes (all 10 oz.) from batch to batch; this one is taller and comes corked as opposed to my earlier BRL bottle which is shorter and sports a twist cap. Unfortunately, allergies/stuffy nose keep me from enjoying the scent, but I'll assume it's as mildly spicy as earlier versions. All my software at the moment is "unscented."

Don't get rid of the Limes, my friend. I'm told by the importer that Dominica is gonna discontinue the Limes permanently, and only offer the regular version.  Your sensitivity may resolve...and you may wind up wanting to use it again!

168 1,384
 07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info
(07-07-2016, 09:40 AM)Steelman Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 07:52 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I've decided to move away from citrus-based products (because reasons), so no more Dominica Bay Rum Lime. Instead, I've got a new bottle of straight Bay Rum. The distributor Calantilles likes to change bottle shapes (all 10 oz.) from batch to batch; this one is taller and comes corked as opposed to my earlier BRL bottle which is shorter and sports a twist cap. Unfortunately, allergies/stuffy nose keep me from enjoying the scent, but I'll assume it's as mildly spicy as earlier versions. All my software at the moment is "unscented."

Don't get rid of the Limes, my friend. I'm told by the importer that Dominica is gonna discontinue the Limes permanently, and only offer the regular version.  Your sensitivity may resolve...and you may wind up wanting to use it again!

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard about the demise of Lime.

29 1,776
 07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
User Info
Just ordered a Lime Bay Rum...thanks for the heads up.

39 3,919
 07-09-2016, 07:56 AM
  • Steelman
  • Delaware
User Info
(07-08-2016, 10:45 AM)primotenore Wrote: Just ordered a Lime Bay Rum...thanks for the heads up.

Primo I think you'll love it! Clean, masculine scent with great healing properties.

168 1,384
 07-09-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
(07-09-2016, 07:56 AM)Steelman Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 10:45 AM)primotenore Wrote: Just ordered a Lime Bay Rum...thanks for the heads up.

Primo I think you'll love it! Clean, masculine scent with great healing properties.
I really enjoy the Dominica Bay Rum, so I am fairly sure I'll like the lime.

39 3,919
 07-09-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
For those that have tried both, how does Dominica compare to Captains Choice?  I am not a fan of the "heaviness" of the CC, just wondering how they compare?

TIA

13 494
 07-09-2016, 01:47 PM
User Info
Dominica isn't as spicy, and dry down is quicker. It's bay rum without the sugar coating.

29 1,776