06-10-2016, 07:48 AM
User Info
Hi!  I am new to this shaving forum, but with the seemingly higher concentration of OneBlade users I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I love my new OneBlade, but there is a noticeable bend in the safety bar where it meets the pivot mechanism.  I can't see this on any of the OneBlade pictures online.  Does anyone else see this on their razor?

Here is a picture... It is a bit hard to capture and easier to see if I could flip the picture upright (turn your head or your phone sideways):

[Image: 2u89ut3.jpg]

0 17
 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
I'll have to check mine out and report.  I do see what you are talking about.

61 3,796
 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM
User Info
For such a premium product OP, if there's a concern about a possible defect or issue with the product, I'd be contacting oneblade pronto. Good luck with the resolution, it's a gorgeous razor.

0 650
 06-10-2016, 10:17 AM
User Info
Yeah, I am contacting them now.  Looking at it from the back side, the articulation between the head and the pivot mechanism is definitely bent.  Here is a better picture from the back.  It's still hard to really capture it, but the blade exposure is definitely uneven due to this.

[Image: 30bmjgl.jpg]

0 17
 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
willhs, I'm afraid I'm still not seeing it but hoping they will be able to resolve it to your satisfaction.

0 650
 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM
User Info
Well, I just got my replacement yesterday and it is better in several ways.  The spring seems smoother, and the safety bar seems much more straight (though, honestly it does seem just barely uneven).  The big deal is that, with a properly seated Feather blade, the blade is clealy "smiling" at me as you can see in the picture.  The previous head didn't have this problem.

Ugh.... 2 razors in a row with head problems... I really don't think I can do another replacement now.  I am thinking a return is the next step.  I am surprised no one has reported issues with quality and finishing.  In fact, the quality reports are usually exceptional. Maybe my luck is terrible?

[Image: a2t6wo.jpg]

0 17
 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
(07-01-2016, 09:25 AM)willhs Wrote: Well, I just got my replacement yesterday and it is better in several ways.  The spring seems smoother, and the safety bar seems much more straight (though, honestly it does seem just barely uneven).  The big deal is that, with a properly seated Feather blade, the blade is clealy "smiling" at me as you can see in the picture.  The previous head didn't have this problem.
[Image: a2t6wo.jpg]

How does it shave? As you probably have read on TSN, many OneBlade users like the Gem blades that have a slight smile when inserted into the razor...and get great results.

Following is a photo of my OneBlade with a Feather I loaded just for this post. I was surprised to see mine ALSO has a slight smile - middle lower than the edges - but I can tell you I have been shaving with it for months and it shaves fabulously. My opinion: trust your experience, and if you get great shaves I would not worry about how the blade looks. If you get subpar shaves I would not hesitate to return the razor.

[Image: 03309d85e8f28dad74b469592483d7a7.jpg]

61 487
 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM
User Info
Honestly, to me it looks like you've got the one edge pushed too far in and it has ridden up on the blade stop. Remove the blade, slide it in smoother, more even, and with less force. See if the smile doesn't disappear.

31 8,057
 07-06-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
I initially thought so, but it is definitely not the case.  The tabs in the back are held tightly in place, and there is no way to have the tabs locked in and for it to be "too far."  It is a fool proof design, but the tolerances aren't as tight as advertised.  

It could be that the injection molding degrades.  The smile wasn't present in my first model, serial numbered in the 4,000s, but it is certainly present on this one which is in the 8,000s.

0 17
 07-06-2016, 06:44 PM
User Info
It is possible as I've done it, but if you are sure it isn't so, then I'd personally send it back or get a refund. I wouldn't be happy with a single flaw from something in that price range.

31 8,057
 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
The reply from OneBlade was that the blade is supposed to have a smile... They suggested I give it a chance before returning it.  Honestly, it shaves differently than the last one and the smile does bother me.

One last ditch question to other users - when it rests on the tabs, should it lay flat on the little floor in there? On mine, the fit in the tabs is so snug the blade sort of hovers and I wonder it this is part of the reason for the smile.  This picture might help.

[Image: 30dcva9.jpg]

0 17
 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM
User Info
Just to circle back on this, the OneBlade support was helpful and ultimately replaced the razor.  It appears that the smile is normal with the feather blade.  I did find that a properly cut GEM actually smiles a little bit less and shaves more effectively for me personally.  It really is a great razor.

0 17
 09-08-2016, 03:45 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
The Feather blade isn't supposed to smile. This is a defective batch or mold that has degraded. The fact that they lied to you about this is crazy - myself and another customer have been having problems with OneBlade regarding this exact issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
Watch out for these on the used market.  It sounds like they are trying to dump the defective batch on to unsuspecting customers that don't know better.  Its only going to hurt them in the long run if a bunch of guys get these and have terrible shaves with them.  Bad word of mouth can kill there business.

0 115
 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
User Info
That's a good point.

"Wavy blade" hysteria had to be part of what drove Weber to stop making razor heads.

9 1,415
 09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
User Info
I had read elsewhere from a guy that contacted them that they changed materials to a diff spec that is supposed to be stronger and more durable, and it had a different shrinkage something or other. So the tolerances were different and they didn't catch it. They were getting it fixed and would have good razors available again in 30 days or so. They gave him the option of full refund or swapping it out once the new ones were out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-09-2016, 02:20 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
(09-08-2016, 09:24 PM)youngunn2008 Wrote: I had read elsewhere from a guy that contacted them that they changed materials to a diff spec that is supposed to be stronger and more durable, and it had a different shrinkage something or other. So the tolerances were different and they didn't catch it. They were getting it fixed and would have good razors available again in 30 days or so. They gave him the option of full refund or swapping it out once the new ones were out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's the first I've heard of a material change. Where was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 09-09-2016, 04:48 AM
User Info
Wow that is very different from what they told me.

0 17
 09-09-2016, 06:09 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
(09-09-2016, 04:48 AM)willhs Wrote: Wow that is very different from what they told me.

Yes - that's why I wanted to find this thread and post recent experiences - just not from myself either.  I would be in immediate contact with them if I were you.

12 323
 09-09-2016, 06:11 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
There's a thread on another forum that I won't post here, but if you're interested in an email that was sent to another member from OneBlade PM me and I'll direct you there.

12 323