06-10-2016, 11:10 AM
User Info
We would like to say hello to the established fellow artisans here on TSN and the members as well.  We have a shop nestled in central NC near the Pisgah National Forest but moreover near Purgatory Mountain which is a Native American area the NC Zoo in located on and backs up to several hundred acres of land with plenty of wildlife as well as a source for iron ore from the Civil War where a Confederate mine still exist to this day (But one needs a map to find it!).   Our shop is a stand alone structure of a woodturning business where we complimented our straight shaving love to make custom shaving brushes from the finest materials we could/can source.  We will source locally as often as possible from domestic hardwoods to turn out beautiful brushes for the discerning customer.  We do have several brushes on hand at any given time for immediate purchase and shipping.  We also take custom orders and try to work with the customer to design and craft what they desire.  We do not use a fancy wood lathe that is computer driven (CAD).  We use the old fashioned lathe of hand turning each and every brush so each is as unique as the buyer.  We also make a few other items for sell as well as can be seen on our retail store site at:

Our web site which details our business can be viewed at:

We also have developed a line of all natural aftershaves that utilize only witch hazel and 100% pure pharma grade essential oils.  We also add other natural ingredients for medicinal purposes such as potassium alum to help stop those pesky nicks and cuts from razor use as well as using either lanolin or glycerin in each "single batch" made 4 oz. bottle as the main emollients.  We do not produce voluminous amounts of our aftershave to set on a shelf for potential buyers.  We make each bottle per order for the consumer to ensure it is as fresh as the morning drawn milk! 

Some would ask why we set out to make 100% natural aftershaves?  Simply to give your face a break from the mundane and ordinary daily use of moisture depleting alcohol based formulas.   This was a venture that took a life on of itself for several months researching and talking to naturalist on the proper way to mix and create such a product.  In fact I had at times wanted to vacate the idea but the drive was in me to develop and create a product that will have more than a slight pleasing aroma.

We at "As The Brush Turns" know you have many choices and while even I shop many retailers for their individual items I like, we too hope you may shop with us to find maybe that hidden gem you have been looking for.

So I end in saying thank you to Phil for setting us up in this great forum and thread and allowing us to provide shavers and to include women with a great economical product for the working man and women who also desires to be pampered with quality custom products!

I will post any new additions we make as they come about.  I will say that we are looking to develop a woman's aftershave for applying to their legs post shave to give that same satisfaction as the men get from our aftershaves to their face.  I assure you women if viewing this thread it will be very flowery to almost that of a meadow in the spring with floral scents wafting in the air after a cool rain shower!

0 413
 06-10-2016, 12:33 PM
User Info
Welcome aboard!

0 676
 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 12:33 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Welcome aboard!

Thank you kindly Shane!  Glad to be here.

0 413
 06-10-2016, 12:49 PM
User Info
Here is a few shots of our 264 sq. foot shop nestled in the woods just behind the house.  There is nothing like stepping out of the house and walking to the shop with a cup of joe and some Wild Wild West on the tv in the shop to work by!  A relaxing porch to take breaks also makes for a nice days work turning out brushes and other items.

[Image: Yp0kIye.jpg]

[Image: mNHCt7D.jpg]

0 413
 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM
User Info
Welcome from Greensboro neighbor!

82 2,249
 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Welcome Aboard!

46 18,616
 06-10-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
Welcome.  Nice pictures of your shop.  Looking forward to seeing your brushes.

50 6,422
 06-10-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 02:13 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: Welcome from Greensboro neighbor!

Hello neighbor!  I live as you know just 20-25 minutes south of you in Asheboro!

0 413
 06-10-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 02:18 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Welcome Aboard!

Thank you Phil and thank you for allowing our little shop to be a artisan member here!

0 413
 06-10-2016, 05:46 PM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 04:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Welcome.  Nice pictures of your shop.  Looking forward to seeing your brushes.

Thank you Ricardo!  I will post some up in the coming days here that are on our sale site.

0 413
 06-10-2016, 06:44 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Welcome. Quick look and some nice products.  Any plans for a synthetic brush in the near future.

5 427
 06-10-2016, 08:27 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Wow, looks like a great space. Welcome to TSN! How about some pics of the interior???  Smile

10 233
 06-10-2016, 08:28 PM
User Info
Welcome and that is a lovely little shop! Thumbsup

83 21,110
 06-11-2016, 03:29 AM
User Info
Here are some of the brushes on hand that I have turned that are currently available at www.bonanza.com/booths/AsTheBrushTurns :

[Image: UD6AFcp.jpg]

The above is a locally sourced maple hardwood from Gibsonville, NC and turned with a double relief and lip as well as a decorative V-groove score.  It has a double band badger knot. 

[Image: 0sr9EEt.jpg]

The above is a burl/acrylic resin with a single relief and a decorative groove in the base of the handle with a full synthetic knot.

[Image: qfp0Jd3.jpg]

The above is turned to look like a acorn from locally sourced maple from Gibsonville, NC.  It is set to a Slivertip badger knot.

[Image: 0jtlb0S.jpg]

The above is a burl and alumilite resin with a Silvertip badger knot.

[Image: 6nrtYEA.jpg]

The above is a burl and alumilite resin with a double relief set to a Silvertip badger knot.

Thank you for looking.  And remember, we also can do custom orders as well.

0 413
 06-11-2016, 03:40 AM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 06:44 PM)SCOV Wrote: Welcome. Quick look and some nice products.  Any plans for a synthetic brush in the near future.

Sure my friend!  Here is the link:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Midnight.../341109089

0 413
 06-11-2016, 03:43 AM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 08:28 PM)celestino Wrote: Welcome and that is a lovely little shop! Thumbsup

Thank you celestino!  It is home for sure on many nights building customers brushes after a hard day of work at the fulltime job that pays the bills!

0 413
 06-11-2016, 03:46 AM
User Info
(06-10-2016, 08:27 PM)Viking Wrote: Wow, looks like a great space. Welcome to TSN! How about some pics of the interior???  Smile

Here is a old picture but things have expanded inside as far as added woodworking equipment!

[Image: PzNVO9f.jpg]

[Image: nAd4I9I.jpg]

My future plans are to add a nice vintage or modern day barber chair for relaxing and for friends who come over to hang out or a customer who wants to pick up their item in person.

0 413
 06-11-2016, 04:01 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard - I like your burl and resin turnings; it's not something I see too much of Smile

3 4,674
 06-11-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
(06-11-2016, 04:01 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Welcome aboard - I like your burl and resin turnings; it's not something I see too much of Smile

It really isn't something too many folks use and I love the two married up together.  I have a few bar stocks on hand for when someone wants a brush turned.  I will post those up later for people to see the color options as well.  I get those sourced from a gentleman that makes small batches only during the summer months then he takes a long hiatus over the fall and winter.

I also forgot to mention if one does not want a full brush that I also make the brush handles alone for those who wish to place a knot they have themselves.  In fact I have a odd turning I did from teakwood that will have 2 coats spar urethane and three coats lacquer coming up soon for someone to buy if they want a handle only.

We aim to please the consumer and make lifelong friends and not just a buyer.

0 413
 06-11-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
Is bonanza similar to Etsy?

0 676