06-12-2016, 10:53 PM
User Info
So I have been an avid wetshaver for years but about 5-6 years ago I got really serious about collecting and restoring vintage straights. Well back in January my wife and I split up. I was forced to pack away pretty much all of my collection. This consisted of about 500 straight razors in total. 150 of them fall into my prized possession category. These were all my finest razors, mint condition and many rare pieces.
Well today I went to the garage I am renting to store my belongings to find it had been broken into and almost every straight I owned has been stolen. Worst of all every one of my "prized possession" pieces are gone. These razors were in 15 cigar boxes,each one held 10 razors. The boxes were perfect with wooden dividers that separated the razors and I had anti dessicant containers in each.
I have to tell you I am devastated. I reported this to the police but I am sure they are gone forever. I keep going over in my head this razor or that razor that I restored and was so proud to own knowing it was probably pawned for pennies on the dollar to someone who could care less about the razor.
This has really taken the wind out of my sails. I just started frequenting shaving forums which actually prompted my visit to storage, I was gonna get out some special razors to use and post in sotd threads. I figured I'd share this here where people could understand how devastating this is. It's not so much the money per se although we are talking thousands for sure, its what they meant to me as I restored every one and spent hours and hours doing so.
Part of me is saying you can start over, the other part is saying maybe its time to become a minimalist as this really, really sucks.
Thanks for letting me vent.

0 38
 06-12-2016, 11:49 PM
User Info
(06-12-2016, 10:53 PM)SteveWetshaves Wrote: So I have been an avid wetshaver for years but about 5-6 years ago I got really serious about collecting and restoring vintage straights. Well back in January my wife and I split up. I was forced to pack away pretty much all of my collection. This consisted of about 500 straight razors in total. 150 of them fall into my prized possession category. These were all my finest razors, mint condition and many rare pieces.
Well today I went to the garage I am renting to store my belongings to find it had been broken into and almost every straight I owned has been stolen. Worst of all every one of my "prized possession" pieces are gone. These razors were in 15 cigar boxes,each one held 10 razors. The boxes were perfect with wooden dividers that separated the razors and I had anti dessicant containers in each.
I have to tell you I am devastated. I reported this to the police but I am sure they are gone forever. I keep going over in my head this razor or that razor that I restored and was so proud to own knowing it was probably pawned for pennies on the dollar to someone who could care less about the razor.
This has really taken the wind out of my sails. I just started frequenting shaving forums which actually prompted my visit to storage, I was gonna get out some special razors to use and post in sotd threads. I figured I'd share this here where people could understand how devastating this is. It's not so much the money per se although we are talking thousands for sure, its what they meant to me as I restored every one and spent hours and hours doing so.
Part of me is saying you can start over, the other part is saying maybe its time to become a minimalist as this really, really sucks.

I have had to deal with multiple break ins over the last few years and it is a really uneasy feeling. Luckily, the only thing of value I have lost is a laptop which had a lot of research and notes that I will never get back. That was hard to get over. But I am lucky enough that my other hobby and shaving gear have gone untouched. It still scares me leaving everyday and makes me wonder if I am a person who has too much value in property or physical possessions. The fact is most of these items have attachments that make me think of the artisans that produce them and who I have become friends with. 

I am truly sorry for your loss and can only hope that you will be patient and maybe some will make their way back to you. It does happen, maybe not overnight but sometimes years down the line. The world has its way of working and it is incredible and unbelievable sometimes but it isn't unheard of. Anyways, keep in touch and I wouldn't mind at all hearing if you need or want any gear to restart your dopp kit, I can definitely help. I'll be in touch via PM sometime this week. Stay cheers and best wishes to you!

82 1,373
 06-13-2016, 02:35 AM
User Info
I'm sorry that happened to you.  I can understand all the emotions you are experiencing right now.

50 6,429
 06-13-2016, 02:45 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Sorry to read but should definite continue if you still enjoy collecting and restoring straights. Might want keep absolutely those that you prize and sell or gift the rest away so at least someone will use it.

10 378
 06-13-2016, 03:40 AM
User Info
(06-13-2016, 02:35 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm sorry that happened to you.  I can understand all the emotions you are experiencing right now.
Yeah I figured on a shaving forum there would be some who could empathize. Thanks!

0 38
 06-13-2016, 03:43 AM
User Info
(06-13-2016, 02:45 AM)Devilanche Wrote: Sorry to read but should definite continue if you still enjoy collecting and restoring straights. Might want keep absolutely those that you prize and sell or gift the rest away so at least someone will use it.
Yes I love it too much too stop but perhaps I'll be more selective about the ones I keep from now on. It is heartbreaking to have the ones I really invested a lot of time into and really liked to be poof gone just like that. Infuriating actually. Thanks for the kind words of support.

0 38
 06-13-2016, 03:45 AM
User Info
I am sorry that this happened to you Steve. Hopefully with insurance, you can get your collection up and running again soon. Good Luck.

39 3,952
 06-13-2016, 03:49 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear about the theft.  Hope you can eventually track some down either at the local pawn shop or on eBay.

4 475
 06-13-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
So sorry to hear this, that is terrible!

75 2,320
 06-13-2016, 04:37 AM
User Info
That's horrible news... I has a sad now Sad

3 4,677
 06-13-2016, 05:22 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Sorry for the loss. Surely that many razors a few will surface in auctions.

9 462
 06-13-2016, 05:34 AM
User Info
I am sorry to hear that. Does the owner of the storage facility not bear any responsibility for the theft?

0 676
 06-13-2016, 05:47 AM
User Info
Oh man. Sorry for the loss. 

I can feel flutters in my veins reading this and thinking about the rollercoaster of thoughts I'd have in a similar situation.

Glad to hear that it happened at a storage unit and not where you reside. Either is bad, but the violation must be even more vile when it occurs where you also sleep.

Hope you have some kind of avenue to get any kind of restitution through insurance or something. 

Hang in there. Don't let one bad experience ruin your outlook. 

Also, welcome to the Nook!

10 1,455
 06-13-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your loss, it is terrible.

18 468
 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM
User Info
(06-13-2016, 05:34 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I am sorry to hear that. Does the owner of the storage facility not bear any responsibility for the theft?

+1  Best of luck and try to keep an optimistic view on things. Shy

83 21,115
 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
User Info
(06-12-2016, 11:49 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 10:53 PM)SteveWetshaves Wrote: So I have been an avid wetshaver for years but about 5-6 years ago I got really serious about collecting and restoring vintage straights. Well back in January my wife and I split up. I was forced to pack away pretty much all of my collection. This consisted of about 500 straight razors in total. 150 of them fall into my prized possession category. These were all my finest razors, mint condition and many rare pieces.

I have had to deal with multiple break ins over the last few years and it is a really uneasy feeling. Luckily, the only thing of value I have lost is a laptop which had a lot of research and notes that I will never get back. That was hard to get over. But I am lucky enough that my other hobby and shaving gear have gone untouched. It still scares me leaving everyday and makes me wonder if I am a person who has too much value in property or physical possessions. The fact is most of these items have attachments that make me think of the artisans that produce them and who I have become friends with. 

I am truly sorry for your loss and can only hope that you will be patient and maybe some will make their way back to you. It does happen, maybe not overnight but sometimes years down the line. The world has its way of working and it is incredible and unbelievable sometimes but it isn't unheard of. Anyways, keep in touch and I wouldn't mind at all hearing if you need or want any gear to restart your dopp kit, I can definitely help. I'll be in touch via PM sometime this week. Stay cheers and best wishes to you!
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. I hope in time some items somehow come home so to speak!
As for your generous offer I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. That being said I could never accept.
As to the other portion of your generous offer, to stay in touch, I'd be honored.

0 38
 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM
User Info
Thanks again to all for the kind words, I appreciate it.
Now as far as the circumstance this is not a public storage unit. Its a row home that is divided into 2 apartments and a garage, all rented separately. I rented the garage. This part is eating at me, to save $20/month I have effectively lost thousands but the money part well that's the thing with a niche hobby like ours. The razors are only worth that to a small segment of the overall population. The monetary loss hurts but not near the most. That was money spent. The time invested and the enjoyment of the razors is what really hurts. I even lost my stockpile of future restores. Heck I'd be happy if that was all I lost but the ones that were done and my absolute gems (IMO), ones I'm sure with hundreds of hours, that is driving me nuts!

0 38
 06-13-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
I'm so sorry that this happened to you!  Do you think that the thieves knew what they were looking for or was it a theft of opportunity and they didn't know what they were going to find in the garage?

0 281
 06-13-2016, 11:12 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm sorry you had to deal with such nonsense, and can relate to the feeling of being violated. Our home was burglarized about a dozen years ago. To know that some holewipe broke into our private space and had his way amongst all our belongings was a sickening feeling. Not only that, this jerk stole your time and hard work! Time is something we can never replace or get back.

Try posting your story on the various fora. Maybe someone in the community will recognize your razors in the wild or on a for sale/auction site. Good luck, Steve. Stay strong and find some nice pieces you'd like to start over with. Keep us posted on developments.

7 2,359
 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
That really sucks. 

But....

It's just stuff, brother. Look at what happened in Orlando yesterday. It can always be worse. Take a deep breath....don't let the anger consume you. Start off fresh...maybe just a few razors that you will use & cherish...and take it as a lesson learned.

169 1,424