07-28-2012, 08:46 AM
User Info
I think it's high time that I try some carbon SE blades. I've been hesitant due to the upkeep needed to hinder rust formation but I'm too curious about their reported sharpness to hold off any longer. I know the basics about keeping them dry after the shave so they need to be wiped down & possibly stored in an airtight container. I've read a little about using some kind of oil on them too, but I can't remember the details on that.

So if you have experience using carbon blades successfully, then would you be so kind as to share your rust defense routine with me? Thanks in advance!

31 7,912
 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
In my experience, they rust on your first shave, a real bummer, they are some good blades.

88 4,233
 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
i have been curious about this myself, Brian. i have been contemplating trying out the carbon SE blades as the stainless steel ones did not provide me with good shaves and i thought the carbon ones might work better as i have given up on SEs.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
Brian, I've used CS blades with great success, but we have our own well water. That's important because our water is treated with nothing. Municipal water is likely treated with Cl and that acidifies it.

But maybe this will work for you.

At the time of blade installation I put 2 drops of mineral oil top and bottom on the flat of the blade then put it in place and closed it up. Use it normally, and at the end of the shave, as I always do, I loosened the mechanism, rinsed the razor off, then put another drop of oil top and bottom of the blade right through the comb. That's it. I also actually used Avon "Skin-so-Soft becasue that's what my hand hit first to fill my dropper bottle with. It's a MO base I believe.

I couldn't believe this was working as well as it was, and at one point I actually gave it a torture test by using one blade once per week for a few months. At the end I was convinced that I actually had SS blades. But no, they really were CS.

I like CS blades, except I don't want to buy blades in 10 packs from the pharmacy. They're more expensive and it requires me to go inside the place. Well, I don't like the extra step either. But the extra effort is minimal.

Now I don't keep CS blades on hand because I don't want them to rust from moisture in the air since I keep my blades in the bathroom, and in the same cabinet that my damp brush goes into to dry off.

32 6,308
 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I've asked the question in the SE thread and have yet to get a reply. It would be great to get a carbon blade quality without it going rusty but I haven't found one yet. Taking it out and drying it makes no sense since it is already rusty after the first shave.

(07-28-2012, 10:34 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Brian, I've used CS blades with great success, but we have our own well water. That's important because our water is treated with nothing. Municipal water is likely treated with Cl and that acidifies it.

But maybe this will work for you.

At the time of blade installation I put 2 drops of mineral oil top and bottom on the flat of the blade then put it in place and closed it up. Use it normally, and at the end of the shave, as I always do, I loosened the mechanism, rinsed the razor off, then put another drop of oil top and bottom of the blade right through the comb. That's it. I also actually used Avon "Skin-so-Soft becasue that's what my hand hit first to fill my dropper bottle with. It's a MO base I believe.

I couldn't believe this was working as well as it was, and at one point I actually gave it a torture test by using one blade once per week for a few months. At the end I was convinced that I actually had SS blades. But no, they really were CS.

I like CS blades, except I don't want to buy blades in 10 packs from the pharmacy. They're more expensive and it requires me to go inside the place. Well, I don't like the extra step either. But the extra effort is minimal.

Now I don't keep CS blades on hand because I don't want them to rust from moisture in the air since I keep my blades in the bathroom, and in the same cabinet that my damp brush goes into to dry off.

Apparently we were typing at the same time Biggrin
Thanks for the info, I might just try that. Where do you get your blades if not retail?

88 4,233
 07-28-2012, 10:41 AM
User Info
I use carbon steel blades all the time and all I do is dip the razor in 91% alcohol after the shave and shake it out. The blade lasts me all week with no rust issues, and no other procedures are required.

0 372
 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Tried dipping in alcohol and/or barbicide, doesn't work for me... Probably the water is too acidic/hard/soft? Have no idea what carbon steel reacts to.

88 4,233
 07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 10:36 AM)beartrap Wrote: Apparently we were typing at the same time Biggrin
Thanks for the info, I might just try that. Where do you get your blades if not retail?

I buy in bulk from Ted Pella. He has SS ptfe coated blades (item # 121-3). With shipping a minimum order of 200 blades is $50. You pretty much can't get a further distance to ship CONUS than between TP and myself. But he screens the people he sells blades to I found out. So if they won't sell you blades, EMS also has them. I have no idea what their price is or what they're called. You want triple facet ground GEM SS ptfe coated, they may be called extra sharp or some such.

32 6,308
 07-28-2012, 11:21 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I have to dip carbon blades in alcohol and remove them from the razor otherwise they will rust the first day but by doing that I can get 5-7 days from them.
Of the carbons blades I tried Pal blades were the worse and Treets were a bit better. I have found that I like the SS Gem blades the best.

2 501
 07-28-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
After each use I remove the blade from my razor, rinse it with 91% alcohol, then put a few drops of mineral oil on it and put back into the razor. Seems to work fine for me.

I actually prefer the carbons over SS, but YMMV.

5 833
 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 11:32 AM)Azarius Wrote: After each use I remove the blade from my razor, rinse it with 91% alcohol, then put a few drops of mineral oil on it and put back into the razor. Seems to work fine for me.

I actually prefer the carbons over SS, but YMMV.

Arley, I've been reading a lot lately of guys preferring the carbon over the SS. That's why I have to give 'em a try.

I'm kind of a dote when it comes to things like this, but where does one pick up mineral oil at?

31 7,912
 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
Picked up some Treet SE blades & mineral oil today. For those that dunk your razors in alcohol do you reuse the alcohol a few times or is it one & done? What do you use for holding the alcohol in if you use it multiple times?

31 7,912
 07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I have little tupperware container that I use -- maybe 2 inch diameter by 1 inch deep. I rinse the blade under the tap to clean the lather off, and then a quick dip in alcohol to dry the water. I don't see any reason not to reuse the alcohol unless it gets nasty. Just have to top it off from time to time. I keep the blade out of the razor until the next shave.

I think you'll like the Treet blades, they are the nicer of the ones that I tried and sharper than the SS blades for sure. I could get a good 4-5 shaves from them.

2 501
 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
Brian,
I haven't had any issues with my carbon blades rusting lately, but when I did I would rinse the razor under the faucet then dip the head in a small container of alcohol. I'd shake off the excess and put the razor away. It worked well for me. I'd change the alcohol in the container every Sunday. It seemed easier than taking out the blade.

2 62
 07-28-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 07:31 PM)vuk Wrote: I have little tupperware container that I use -- maybe 2 inch diameter by 1 inch deep. I rinse the blade under the tap to clean the lather off, and then a quick dip in alcohol to dry the water. I don't see any reason not to reuse the alcohol unless it gets nasty. Just have to top it off from time to time. I keep the blade out of the razor until the next shave.

I think you'll like the Treet blades, they are the nicer of the ones that I tried and sharper than the SS blades for sure. I could get a good 4-5 shaves from them.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking that I'd do so I'm glad to hear that someone already does it successfully. Cheers mate!

31 7,912
 07-29-2012, 12:48 AM
User Info
I wonder if it would be possible to store the blade submerged in alcohol until the next shave? They might last "forever" then.Idea

(07-28-2012, 07:31 PM)vuk Wrote: I have little tupperware container that I use -- maybe 2 inch diameter by 1 inch deep. I rinse the blade under the tap to clean the lather off, and then a quick dip in alcohol to dry the water. I don't see any reason not to reuse the alcohol unless it gets nasty. Just have to top it off from time to time. I keep the blade out of the razor until the next shave.

9 1,199
 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
Well, of course it's possible CM. But there is always some water in alcohol that can't be removed. The alcohol bath only removes a lot of the water, not all of the water, and of itself has no preservative qualities. I think it would be a mistake since all alcohol has more water than even the most humid air, but try it, see what happens and let us know. IMO, it's a worthy experiment.

I think a better liquid to use for the drying bath would be Acetone. Virgin acetone is 100% dry at the time it comes out of the can, sucks up water like crazy and dries rapidly. Just don't store it in generic plastic; glass or a metal can is fine, so is polyethylene, and don't let it contact a razor with plastic parts or painted letters- just metal or plated metal razors. Not a problem with the old SE razors. Don't hang the razor in a plastic rack to dry or let it drip onto a plastic surface either. Unfinished wood is OK for a drying rack.

To trash the used acetone, don't put it down the drain. Just let it evaporate or burn it. Acetone burns readily.

FWIW, we used acetone to suck the water out of cellulose fiber. It does so virtually instantly, even the water that the cellulose takes "into" itself. So it will definitely remove free water from the outside of a blade. But it might remove any coatings too.

I'll try it right now and use the blade tomorrow. I have acetone on hand. I'll report back.

32 6,308
 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think the extra effort with these carbon steel blades is worth it. These are very sharp blades. My shave this morning with an OCMM loaded with a Blue Star was outstanding. The razor just sliced and diced those whiskers with the greatest of ease.

43 1,690
 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
User Info
I used one this morning & could definitely tell a difference. Since I'm starting back on the blind test soon I decided to experiment with this blade. It is currently submerged in isopropyl alcohol & I'm going to see how long it takes to show signs of rust.

31 7,912
 07-29-2012, 04:33 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
So, after your first shave, there were no signs of rust? What brand of blades did you use? Which SE razor did you use?

88 4,233