07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
I am doing some heavier training lately and have noticed the shaves after a longer workout have been particularly easy and good. I shave every morning so maybe it's just being up longer.

This morning after a 2+ hr slow run, I did a quick 2 pass shave with Williams (only mediocre lather, not a favorite, but am using it up on Saturdays) and day 5 on the blade. Results were BBS and I was only shooting for and expecting presentable.

I wonder if it's sweating or just being awake longer before I shave?

0 140
 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
User Info
Exercise will cause your blood flow to be diverted away from the skin & to the muscles that you're using. This could be part of what helps, & I'm sure being more alert & awake makes a difference too.

31 7,914
 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
User Info
Brian, do you think this may be similar to the cold water method where the cold water keeps the blood away from the surface of the skin to lessen irritation and resulting in better shaves?

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
I completely agree that my post-workout shaves are superior. I will not speculate too much on the why, but I suppose just the heat alone, like a steamy shower, softens the hairs, brings them more to the surface, and lends itself to perfect whisker whacking. My Friday routine is a long bike ride (spin if weather does not cooperate) followed by a straight shave.

1 55
 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 01:19 PM)celestino Wrote: Brian, do you think this may be similar to the cold water method where the cold water keeps the blood away from the surface of the skin to lessen irritation and resulting in better shaves?

Similar result, just a different mechanism.

31 7,914
 07-29-2012, 12:14 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
This is really odd, because what you guys describe is the polar opposite of my experience. When I get back from a run my body works overtime to cool down and I sweat buckets, and all my skin is reddened as the capillaries dilate and come to the skin's surface. Trying to shave in that state would be a nightmare for me. Here's another hypothesis for everyone to mull over: if you are gently sweating under the lather, does that provide a little extra hydration during the shave? So, are you hot and bothered after your run or nice and cool? How long after the end of exercise do you leave it before shaving? And, as an aside, do you stretch lits after the run. Stretching is the one top tip I'd pass on to any other exerciser. The benefits are many and well worth the effort.

1 290
 07-29-2012, 05:16 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Its strange how each of us can react differently to modifications and or adjustments in the shaving routine. My advice to you would be to avoiding shaving in the same part of the day as you exercise. Based on my experience, when I used to shave before exercise, my face got irritated, I mean extremely irritated during the workout, mostly from the sweat released by the body during exercise, over a freshly shaved and hypersensitive face. On the flip side, when you shave immediately after exercise your skin is inflamed and hypersensitive, in that it has not had the chance to cool down after the workout; putting a blade to your skin would set it on fire.

As such I decided to shave every morning and workout in the evening; by so doing I have separated the two activities, which themselves individually are skin irritants. I perform each activity in a different period of the day so as to minimize their cumulative effect on the degree of skin irritation. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 07-29-2012, 05:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I will say after the run you drink a lot which causes your body to cool down but (in my case) it also causes more sweat
which helps lubricate the skin.

100 12,444
 07-29-2012, 06:56 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 11:34 AM)Egmont Wrote: I am doing some heavier training lately and have noticed the shaves after a longer workout have been particularly easy and good. I shave every morning so maybe it's just being up longer.

This morning after a 2+ hr slow run, I did a quick 2 pass shave with Williams (only mediocre lather, not a favorite, but am using it up on Saturdays) and day 5 on the blade. Results were BBS and I was only shooting for and expecting presentable.

I wonder if it's sweating or just being awake longer before I shave?

Ha! What a coincidence,I had just mentioned something like this a day earlier here: http://shavenook.com/thread-barber-on-th...7#pid62977

I've been shaving before runs but do a final touchup before getting in the shower after running because I've noticed that it seems that whiskers seem to surface a bit more and I can get a smoother final result.I especially notice this as a head shaver.... I should probably try doing the entire shave after my run to see how that works out.

I don't for sure know the physiological explanation,but a workout may well function as an outstanding pre-shave routine.Here's something to think about:

The sebaceous glands are microscopic glands in the skin that secrete an oily/waxy matter, called sebum, to lubricate and waterproof the skin and hair of mammals.[1] In humans, they are found in greatest abundance on the face and scalp.

Sebaceous glands secrete the oily, waxy substance called sebum (Latin, meaning fat or tallow) that is made of fat (lipids), wax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland

7 414
 07-31-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
I always find it easier to shave after a workout as well

I chalk it up to hair absorbing sweat

2 65
 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM
User Info
(07-29-2012, 05:16 AM)Notary Wrote: Its strange how each of us can react differently to modifications and or adjustments in the shaving routine. My advice to you would be to avoiding shaving in the same part of the day as you exercise. Based on my experience, when I used to shave before exercise, my face got irritated, I mean extremely irritated during the workout, mostly from the sweat released by the body during exercise, over a freshly shaved and hypersensitive face. On the flip side, when you shave immediately after exercise your skin is inflamed and hypersensitive, in that it has not had the chance to cool down after the workout; putting a blade to your skin would set it on fire.

... Sam.

The above results Sam mentioned were the same for me. I've never attempted shaving immediately after exercise.
Disclaimer: I've never shaved before or after a workout using traditional wet shaving. The results I mentioned above were only after using the latest and greatest multi-blade.

6 135
 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
Just started a running habit, will test this and report back.

0 95
 08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
User Info
Fellows, Note, I do not shave immediately after a workout. First some cool down, stretching, hydration, then shower and shave.

0 140
 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
I tried this today! It was awesome - cool down, hydration, shower, shave. Gonna become a regular thing for me. Thanks.

0 95