06-15-2016, 03:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I started a past thread on the environmental and social impact of Palm Oil. Norway has enacted legislation banning the use of any product leading to deforestation. So here it is people. One of my favorite soaps is Brutalt Bra. I hope very much it will remain in production with some manner of real certification of responsible production or a substitute.
Brutalt Bra with tallow?

2 3,171
 06-15-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
Good luck tracing down deforestation ...

8 1,127
 06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
As I understand it, a deforestation ban does not mean banning the timber industry. It just requires sustainable harvesting, with 1:1 replacement of cut trees and quotas on total harvesting. As with most socially beneficial programs, this is far easier to implement in Norway than say, Brazil, since the latter is rife with corruption and decades of complete disregard for regulation of any kind.

For Brutalt Bra, I'm not sure it will have any effect unless they plan to make their Norwegian spruce soap a regular item.

16 1,027
 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My keyboard is malfunctioning or I would post a direct link. If you search for Norway deforestation policy the Christian Science Monitor has an in depth article that explains in detail the legislation.  I would appreciate anyone posting it.

Deforestation isn't just timber harvest. When you clear Amazon rainforest for beef production, native mixed Indonesian rainforest for monoculture palm oil, expel native peoples from hereditary lands in Honduras for hydroelectric dam projects or clearcut California redwoods to repurpose land for wine vineyards that is deforestation.

2 3,171
 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
The Norwegian deforestation ban, or rather the Norwegian Parliament's decision that the Norwegian Government's public procurement policy will be deforestation-free, is mainly aimed at preserving the rainforest - for some reason the Norwegian desire to safeguard nature increases in proportion to the distance from Norway...

It will in theory affect Norwegian forests as well, however responsible harvesting rules have been in place for Norwegian lumber for several decades. The major danger to Norwegian forests is not the lumber industry, but rather urban sprawling threatening to intrude on some of the oldest, untouched forested areas - overall it was planted more forest in Norway last year than we harvested.

Short version? I think the supply of Brutalt Bra is safe for the foreseeable future Smile

3 4,491
 06-15-2016, 07:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Scandinavian nations seem to place highly in standard of living, social services, education AND world activism. I read somewhere Denmark was rated the happiest society overall; though I think some petty official distracted Clause from protesting the compass direction of the Little Mermaid statue. Biggrin This is a harbinger of things to come. I would like to hear feedback from our chemist in Tiller.

2 3,171
 06-15-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
Maybe you are talking about this article.

You are right, there are many ways to deforest. The problem is they are not always straight forward. If you do not consider competing uses of land then you just increased demand for land deforested long time ago. With increasing pressure for more cultivated land, non controlled crops will find their way to newly deforested land and the net environmental gain of the policy will be zero at best. That already happens with exiting policies. For example, Europe imports wood pellets from the US to produce green energy. Resulting GHG emissions end up being higher than if they generated with coal.   

Now, I am not saying Norway's initiative will do nothing: the first one sticking out their heads will get burned but someone has to take the first step. All I'm saying is we need to work to make green policy smarter.

8 1,127
 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Thankyou, that is the article I referenced. Hans mentioned urban sprawl. We could start another wave of immigration to Minnesota with a promotional film narrated by Garrison Keillor before his coming retirement. I'm sure lake Wobegon and Powder Milk biscuits will attract hundreds.

2 3,171
 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM
User Info
Thumbsup
All I'll say is almost none of my neighbors wear shoes when at home.

8 1,127
 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
In a few years Norway will ban the use of petrol in autos.

I don't have my piece of paper on this with me, and you may correct what I say here.

1 441
 06-16-2016, 02:06 AM
User Info
Correction; Several of the political parties are talking about proposing to the parliament legislation that will place a number of restrictions on the sale vehicles with internal combustion engines in the future... the proposed proposal will include private vehicles, but exclude trucks, tractors, lorries and suchlike.

Personally I'm all for electric vehicles (provided I can have an outlet to charge it in), as long as they don't legislate electric razors... Tongue

3 4,491
 06-16-2016, 07:33 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Turn of the century 1900 a seemingly insurmountable problem was the removal of manure from horses. Cities also planted trees and built fountains for their benefit; and now those beautiful trees are largely  cut down, poisoned by cigarette butts or buckling sidewalks. The
Automobile replaced horses and also changed the entire dynamic of streets. What had been a artery for all kinds of traffic and activity became
near exclusive domain for machines over people. Reduced social interaction led to more alienation and aggressive behavior. You don't see many buses or cable cars engaged in drivebys.
I was able, with difficulty to enjoy horses for many years. My grandfather retreated to the back seat of his Packard with cigars and National Geographics. Wet shaving, with it's multiple appropriate technologies  will go on. We may see some tweeks; no palm oil in the future, perhaps
a ban on badger if they become endangered like the elephants who once provided ivory handles and razor scales.
We just need to be aware and prepared for these changes.

2 3,171
 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM
User Info
(06-15-2016, 08:59 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Thumbsup
All I'll say is almost none of my neighbors wear shoes when at home.

Missed this...

...the one thing my Better Half had the most trouble adjusting to when moving over here was the idea that everyone takes their shoes off inside - even the contractors doing filthy and messy work.

3 4,491
 06-16-2016, 09:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My Indian neighbors take off their shoes. My Japanese neighbor takes off her shoes. Sometimes, I don't wear shoes at all. However, we all wear clothing.

2 3,171