07-28-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
Good morning, gents. i hope everyone is well and enjoying their shaves.
Before i begin, i would like to thank Joseph (RazoRock_Joe) for his little procedure that i read in one of his threads.
To begin, i started this wonderful journey of traditional wet-shaving approximately ten months ago. i have followed most prep methods starting with hot water and towel letting the towel open the pores and letting the lather soak into the whiskers for a few minutes. Unfortunately, that method only caused irritation for me, especially, on my neck. Of course, it took me a few weeks to understand my razors and understand the "no pressure" warning. Hee hee. After i established good technique with my DEs, i was still prone to some irritation throughout, but especially on my neck as i have a bit of sensitive skin. Next, i tried the cold water lathering method which improved the irritation and i had been using it for the last four to five months. The shaves improved, but i was still, sporadically, getting irritation with even my best DEs, the open-comb Aristocrats and i could not figure out what i was doing wrong and what i could do to remedy the situation. Well, last week sometime, i was reading a thread where Joseph mentioned applying pre-shave soap and massaging it into his whiskers with his fingers for a few minutes. Well, that intrigued me and i experimented with Mystic Water and Mike's Soaps, my regular soaps which i absolutely adore. Well, i started with the cold water splash, loaded my brush and applied the lather, then i, somewhat vigorously, - and this depends on you to how much pressure you want to use - massaged the lather into my whiskers for two minutes in general and let the lather soak while i loaded my razor. i then proceeded to rinse the soap with cold water and reapply the first, real, lather to my face. i did my first pass, then rinsed with cold water; lathered for the second time and did the second pass; lathered once more for the third pass and small touch ups. When i was finished, i noticed that i had a very smooth, almost BBS shave - never can really get the BBS shave as my hair is too coarse in some areas.
i had no nicks, nor weepers and my skin felt great. i was very surprised. i tried this for seven days with different razors and a few different blades and i got consistently the same wonderful results. Even with my Pils which has never really providing me with excellent shaves, now, it was leaving me with amazingly smooth shaves and no weepers or nicks.
i would never had realized what exactly great prep was if i had not read Joseph's suggestion and experimented with it. i am sure that some of you have different methods of preparation, but, even if one of you out there benefits from this friendly and simple reminder, then it will be worth it. i have finally understood that PREP is, possibly, the most important part of the shave. i had consistently heard this expressed countless times, but had never understood its true value. It seems that no matter which razor and blade that i use, i am consistently getting amazing shaves, NOW. i understand that some blades and razors will not work with everyone, so you will have to find what works best for you, but i see this as ameliorating your results. Well, i have not mastered straights and SEs, hee hee, but with all other DEs, and i have tried over 100, i am getting the results that i truly thought i would have gotten when i first started with DEs. i can not thank Joseph enough for posting his method and i highly encourage anyone who is not getting great results to try this method along with cold water to see if it makes any difference to your shaves. i hope someone can benefit from this simple method. If anyone needs more detailed instructions, or any other help, please feel free to contact me. i do want to illustrate that along with UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER, this little treasure-of-a-method has vastly improved my shaves and my skin. Happy shaves, everyone and enjoy your weekend.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
User Info
+1

Our preps are basically similar but different in the specifics (same idea anyway), but yes, prep is extremely important.

I use less prep in the summer, but prefer my winter prep with the added hot towel step.

32 6,308
 07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
My shaves got better when I started to take my time face lathering. I'm excited to hear about your improvement & I'm sure your story will help others.

31 7,912
 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
User Info
Celestino,
How much impact does the type of soap or cream have in this method? Are you saying it works best with shea butter soaps? Have you used it with all your soaps and creams?

5 298
 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
Is there a thread for different shave prep & post shave techniques? I usually wash my face in the shower, throw on some pre-shave oil, then get started shaving with a hot lather. What's the benefit of cold water?

1 168
 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 12:03 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: Is there a thread for different shave prep & post shave techniques? I usually wash my face in the shower, throw on some pre-shave oil, then get started shaving with a hot lather. What's the benefit of cold water?

here's a prep thread: http://shavenook.com/thread-how-do-you-p...your-shave

40 5,830
 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi celestino

Good to hear you've found a solid pre-shave routine that delivers positive end results Thumbsup

I truly believe having pre/post shave routines that work for you as an individual greatly add to the all round shaving experience. I'm pretty happy with mine now (having experimented quite a bit to find what works best for me), but I do plan to give your "UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER" a try in my post shave routine...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-28-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 11:58 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Celestino,
How much impact does the type of soap or cream have in this method? Are you saying it works best with shea butter soaps? Have you used it with all your soaps and creams?

* Mark, it really depends on your preference for soaps or creams and what works best for you. Of course, a very good soap or cream will only make the shave better and i was only suggesting a pre-shave method that works for me. i doubt if the soap you use matters greatly, but using a good one for the pre-shave routine would only benefit you. The unrefined shea butter is used as a balm at the end of my shave; amazing stuff. i have a thread on how to use it in the face and skin care section. Good luck and if you need more help, let me know.

(07-28-2012, 12:03 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: Is there a thread for different shave prep & post shave techniques? I usually wash my face in the shower, throw on some pre-shave oil, then get started shaving with a hot lather. What's the benefit of cold water?

* Grant, the benefits of cold water are that it eliminates irritation or redness caused by hot water opening up the pores and possibly allowing for the blade irritating the skin as a result. Many gents have noticed, myself included, that the cold water keeps the pores more constricted and eliminates the irritation. it may sound contradictory to the hot water/open pores ideology, but it somehow seems to work for us that use it. i would never go back to the hot water/towel method.
You could experiment with it for a few weeks to see if you get any results. If you have any more questions, just PM me.

(07-28-2012, 12:47 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi celestino

Good to hear you've found a solid pre-shave routine that delivers positive end results Thumbsup

I truly believe having pre/post shave routines that work for you as an individual greatly add to the all round shaving experience. I'm pretty happy with mine now (having experimented quite a bit to find what works best for me), but I do plan to give your "UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER" a try in my post shave routine...

Take care, Mike

* Thanks, Mike. i highly recommend the unrefined shea butter. You will notice a big difference with your skin's condition and if you have dry skin, anywhere on your body, it will eliminate that condition, instantly. Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck, my friend.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 01:58 PM
User Info
FWIW, the shave prep is just a modification of the "felting" process. Felting is a process that produces felt from natural animal hairs. The difference is that for shaving we do it "on the animal" that would be us, and the hairs are very short. And the goal is different between felting and shaving, but the process is quite similar.

ANY soap or detergent and warm water mixed with the hair will result in the hair softening and that's the goal in shaving. That's the basic process. Take it further with the hair significantly longer and off of the animal and it'll "string" together and make a mat (felt). The minor details are just what works for the individual to fine tune it for the skin.

Edit:
Here's the why. Sure it's an electric razor, but it stills shows the difference.
[Image: WetWhiskerCutvsDry-1.jpg]

32 6,308
 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Brian.

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Good to hear that you found a routine tailored to you and your needs. As like everything else in life, we all need to find our groove and sometimes what works for the next person does not necessarily do so for all of us. Shaving like life is all about trial and error, which builds experience that enables us to do what we have to do in the best possible manner. Anyways, Happy Shaving, Sam.

0 108
 07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
Thanks for your wishes, Sam. i hope you are having some great shaves, sir.

75 20,883
 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
User Info
Celestino turned me on to USB and it has changed my shaves to the point I no longer need balms. I like to mix the shea butter with a splash of Floid Blue, AI, RazoRock AS or a bay rum splash, but no longer need balms.

I hope you enjoy it, Mike.

Take care, Mike

9 1,199
 07-29-2012, 07:26 AM
User Info
Randy, you are going to love the shea butter when you start to look younger in a while. Hee hee. It helps rejuvenate the skin, so you may look ten years younger, possibly. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I like all the techniques that has been described to accomplish a great irritation free and satisfying shave. I have concluded after many years of shaving that prep and quality products are most important.

100 12,437
 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
i completely concur with you, Jerry. It's great to finally get amazing shaves after trying for a while. Hee hee. i keep forgetting that i am still new to all of this. It feels like i have been doing it for most of my life.

75 20,883
 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
Oh, Boy!! In that case, I'll be buying more as I have lots of body parts that need "rejuvinating"...24

(07-29-2012, 07:26 AM)celestino Wrote: Randy, you are going to love the shea butter when you start to look younger in a while. Hee hee. It helps rejuvenate the skin, so you may look ten years younger, possibly. Hee hee.

9 1,199
 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
(07-29-2012, 12:10 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Oh, Boy!! In that case, I'll be buying more as I have lots of body parts that need "rejuvinating"...24

(07-29-2012, 07:26 AM)celestino Wrote: Randy, you are going to love the shea butter when you start to look younger in a while. Hee hee. It helps rejuvenate the skin, so you may look ten years younger, possibly. Hee hee.

* Hee hee hee!

75 20,883
 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
For me, a shower suffices, but I do agree that whatever works for you, stick with it.

My skin is sensitive and I do make sure I have a rich lather. My downfall for about 40 years was canned goo that did not protect my face, or gel that gunked up my multiblade razor and made me press hard against my face.

Going with one blade (DE, SE, or straight) did wonders for my irritation problem. I also clean my razor to make sure no soap residue lingers for the next shave.

0 282
 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
(07-29-2012, 12:32 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Celestino turned me on to USB and it has changed my shaves to the point I no longer need balms. I like to mix the shea butter with a splash of Floid Blue, AI, RazoRock AS or a bay rum splash, but no longer need balms.

I hope you enjoy it, Mike.

Take care, Mike

which brand USB are you using?

I have a tin of PdP shea butter I haven't used in a while. Maybe I'll bring it out for my next shave.

40 5,830