User Info
try what works for you - everybody is different
i prefer to shave before showering but a lot of people like to do the opposite

19 196
 08-17-2015, 04:34 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I usually wet my face with cool water and massage ,repeat a few times .Then face lather by rubbing the soap directly on the face then massaging in and then whip it up with a brush.
I have used cocoa butter stick in the past as a pre shave treatment and it was okay .

0 275
 08-17-2015, 05:22 AM
User Info
It is always good to read a resurrected good thread.

My prep mostly consist of a hot shower and a good face wash with my Lucky Tiger face wash.

When going straight to shave, I use a very light amount of Noxema, rub for a couple of minutes, remove, and continue to lather up.

61 3,796
 07-29-2016, 05:01 AM
User Info
Wet shaving is totally about the prep.  That's why you lather with a brush and just don't apply goop out of a can.

Different people require more or less prep depending on your skin type and beard thickness.

Also 3 passes is a lot.  For most people 2 is sufficient and much gentler on the skin.  How much more beard do you get off with the third pass.  In most cases very little.  So if irritation is a problem for you keep it to 2 passes most of the time.  Skip the third pass and you will be a lot happier.

1 53
 07-29-2016, 05:46 AM
User Info
RE: number of passes -  I do 4 daily. 3 leaves me with stubble I can feel. 2? My beard laughs at 2. 
The prep I use is pretty simple: shower & wash my face with a glycerine based soap.

27 1,077
 08-26-2016, 04:02 PM
User Info
Celestino, thanks for the suggestion.  I tried your approach the last few days with three different soaps (MdC, T&H Sandalwood and Proraso) and have gotten a great shave each time.  I even broke out the infamous Feather blades and was able to get a close shave with only a few weepers (with the hot water approach I had been using the Feathers would be out of the question).

0 11