06-16-2016, 09:10 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
This is one of those "is it just me, or..." type of question.  Basically, I get very good shaves from my slants (37C, 39C, Ikon Slant and Shavecraft 102 Slant, Razorock Prototype top-heavy slant), but I have to admit to myself that I do not get a sense that I am getting any benefit from the slicing action of the slanted blade.  How about the rest of you?  Do you really feel the slant "difference"?

1 796
 06-16-2016, 09:19 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
My personal opinion on this has always been that the "slant" action of a slant is pretty much nonsense. That is, the "slicing action" that most slant proponents talk about. However, that isn't to say that a slant doesn't offer a uniquely different shave. It absolutely does. But I don't think it comes from the guillotine effect. I think it has much more to do with the fact that the slant puts torque on the thin DE blade, and makes it more rigid.

I can take any razor, cock the head at a 5º angle, and it will have the exact same action on my beard hairs. And honestly, most of the time when I use a slant (and most of the shaving videos I've seen online) the person using the slant will gravitate towards turning the razor head perpendicular to the direction of travel, anyway, negating the "slant" effect.

I'm sure there are people who will swear that I'm wrong, and that the slicing magic of the slant slices through hairs easier, but I believe that was a fact invented by the marketing department at a razor factory. Practically speaking, I can't imagine it makes a real difference in how it is cut.

22 835
 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
I agree with 'chamm' in that the torque on the blade is what makes the biggest difference. The part that you, chamm, mentioned about guys negating the slant by turning the head, I don't believe that changes anything. No matter which way you hold the razor it still maintains the slant  effect. But I do agree that a slant razor can deliver a uniquely different shave just as any other razor can.

5 1,562
 06-16-2016, 09:46 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
I've had the same nagging feeling about slants, also. It's why I do not yet have a slant in my arsenal. I'm actually anxious to try one but would love to have it proven to me in terms that I can understand before going forward. My normal shaving stroke is probably not straight up and down. I bet I'm veering off a bit and getting some sheering and angling of the razor as it progresses.

0 363
 06-16-2016, 10:34 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I love slants that put 'torque on the thin DE blade' Craig mentions. Tight and rigid.
When made well they are my preferred breed of DE.

42 1,041
 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
User Info
I have spent years perfecting the "Gillette slide" with my regular razors.  I tried the iKon 102 and had to sell it, because it just didn't work with my pattern of shaving, which by now is muscle memory.  

there are safety bar razors that hold a blade just as tightly as slants without the torque:  Tradere, post-war Tech, Feather AS-D2, for example (off the top of my head).

2 1,547
 06-16-2016, 10:57 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
 06-16-2016, 12:02 PM
User Info
I have several slants but my best until now is still a non-slant Rockwell 6s.

11 1,169
 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Thanks guys.  This has been a most informative set of responses.  Most important is that I'm not "alone."

1 796
 06-25-2016, 08:54 AM
User Info
Who makes a decent slant, say in the sub-$100 range?  Would like to try one but don't want to spend a fortune.

0 401
 06-25-2016, 09:42 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Merkur 37C or 39C.  Probably less than $50.

1 796
 06-25-2016, 09:49 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
You can get a 37C for $49.50 from Bullgoose. Make up an order over $80 and you get free shipping AND a tub of Cignal soap tossed in.

2 3,171
 06-25-2016, 09:57 AM
User Info
Ok, thanks!

0 401
 07-04-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
Just curious as I have only used the Merkur 34C so far, do you prefer slants which just tilt the positioning of the blade or the type that actually twist the blade?  Also, will a slant work better than a regular razor on longer hair growth if I go a few days between shaves?  I seem to get  a few ingrowns when I shave after 2+ days of growth.  Might I want to consider a sharper blade for those times or will that give even more irritation on sensitive skin?  Thanks in advance for any insight!  -Kevin

1 28
 07-04-2016, 09:53 PM
User Info
I like both type slants, the diagonals and the torqued ones. Diagonals I prefer the ultralight plastic razors, as I've foud with this type razor, the lighter they are, the better shave I get from them. Torqued slants I really don't care about weight, although I tend to dislike any razor (slant or non-slant) over 80g.
I shave every two, sometimes three days, even though my beardgrowth warrants a daily shave. With longer hairs, the biggest problem I face is clogging the razor. This is type-independant ofcourse. As long as you realize that you're doing beard reduction, so with longer hair you won't be smooth with one pass but will be with two or three it realy doesn't matter if it's a slant or not. The first pass will go easier with an open comb, but second and third that doesn't make a difference anymore either.  Just find the razor-blade combination that works the best for you.

3 108