06-19-2016, 07:47 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I couldn't sleep much; sunburned, to hot, ache all over from hiking yesterday. Only an empty bottle of Aspirin; I smoked the cotton topper in desperation. I get up, careful not to disturb Pye who took over my pillow. I make some tea, heat scones and get the Dundee's marmalade out. I go ( or is it come? I'm just sitting here) online and start searching various shaving videos. I rewatch Mantic's classics. Then I find all sorts of people who seem well known. Am I that parochial, just hanging with the Nook?
I live in what is, or was 'THE FILM CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' grew up meeting and knowing many actors and people behind the scenes. I can't go anywhere without a iconic film scene in view. I have standards, and what I see doesn't make it. How hard is it to write a simple script, or
preposition the camera so 4  minutes isn't your ingrown toenail? I don't want to hear stream of consciousness ramblings about vegetarianism,  your love of  Jesus, looking for a job and endless thanks to people for sending the sample product being critiqued. If your reviewing a soap don't go into detail about the blades, brush and razor. Do we really need to watch 7 minutes of  lathering, sometimes defying logic itself? If it's a yourapeeing product, puleeze; you have computer. Find out how to pronounce the damn name. If there is an unusual feature ASK about it beforehand. THIS IS AN INSRUCTIONAL FILM? Providing the retail and quantity are helpful. But if you think it's expensive compared to Williams don't even think of buying a Harley Davidson or Corvette to attend the next shaving meet. 
finally,and of greatest import; you just took 28 minutes to tell a 5 minute story. You lost your audience at that timeframe. even people who can't sleep.

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 06-19-2016, 08:16 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Classic! Aaaaa

45 17,055
 06-19-2016, 08:19 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
You named some of the reasons why I stopped watching review videos from the well-known Youtubers. I really don't care to know the story of their life, how was their day, their philosophical thoughts, if I wanted anything like that I could read a Plato's or Aristotle's writing in Ancient Greek. Needless to say that most of the reviews are compensated, in my opinion and from the products being reviewed that I've tried and I stongly disagree, since many artisan makers send them plenty of products for free to try them and say their "honest" and "unbiased" opinion. Just stay on the topic, say a few things about the product and don't say thanks almost everytime to the guys and the makers that sent you the product. You burn your review that way.

I am glad I participate in a forum that has great members that offer their knowledge and their opinions and we really don't need to watch any of these videos.

48 1,877
 06-19-2016, 08:20 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
This, IMO, sums up the underlying tone of most videos being made these days :

[Image: 0fQ1M9U.jpg]

102 18,101
 06-19-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
I have never cared about watching another guy shaving.  I used to watch them, but then realized that I can watch myself instead.

61 3,796
 06-19-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 08:20 AM)Agravic Wrote: This, IMO, sums up the underlying tone of most videos being made these days :

This sums up most of social media in general, wet shaving related or not.

60 1,699
 06-19-2016, 08:37 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Why is it called 'Social' when the people are anything but?

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 08:37 AM)kav Wrote: Why is it called 'Social' when the people are anything but?

Touché!  And the winner is........

I don't do FB, and only Twitter with a very close group of friends, that's about it.

61 3,796
 06-19-2016, 09:41 AM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
Frankly, this is the only legitimate shaving video ever produced......

19 763
 06-19-2016, 10:00 AM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 09:41 AM)minimalist Wrote: Frankly, this is the only legitimate shaving video ever produced......

61 3,796
 06-19-2016, 10:06 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes, that's WILLIPETER99 on youtube.
The man's a legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 06-19-2016, 10:24 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(06-19-2016, 07:47 AM)kav Wrote: I couldn't sleep much; sunburned, to hot, ache all over from hiking yesterday. Only an empty bottle of Aspirin; I smoked the cotton topper in desperation. I get up, careful not to disturb Pye who took over my pillow. I make some tea, heat scones and get the Dundee's marmalade out. I go ( or is it come? I'm just sitting here) online and start searching various shaving videos. I rewatch Mantic's classics. Then I find all sorts of people who seem well known. Am I that parochial, just hanging with the Nook?
I live in what is, or was 'THE FILM CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' grew up meeting and knowing many actors and people behind the scenes. I can't go anywhere without a iconic film scene in view. I have standards, and what I see doesn't make it. How hard is it to write a simple script, or
preposition the camera so 4  minutes isn't your ingrown toenail? I don't want to hear stream of consciousness ramblings about vegetarianism,  your love of  Jesus, looking for a job and endless thanks to people for sending the sample product being critiqued. If your reviewing a soap don't go into detail about the blades, brush and razor. Do we really need to watch 7 minutes of  lathering, sometimes defying logic itself? If it's a yourapeeing product, puleeze; you have computer. Find out how to pronounce the damn name. If there is an unusual feature ASK about it beforehand. THIS IS AN INSRUCTIONAL FILM? Providing the retail and quantity are helpful. But if you think it's expensive compared to Williams don't even think of buying a Harley Davidson or Corvette to attend the next shaving meet. 
finally,and of greatest import; you just took 28 minutes to tell a 5 minute story. You lost your audience at that timeframe. even people who can't sleep.

Love it!!

36 4,838
 06-19-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 10:06 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Yes, that's WILLIPETER99 on youtube.
The man's a legend.

What a vid!!!!

10 1,512
 06-19-2016, 02:12 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(06-19-2016, 08:20 AM)Agravic Wrote: This, IMO, sums up the underlying tone of most videos being made these days :

My thoughts EXACTLY!

34 1,627
 06-19-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
Epic post from kav, as always  Number_one

Still enjoy these 3 guys from YouTube:

PaulH Films
Mauro di Lernia
Nick Shaves

23 5,557
 06-19-2016, 04:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The fun part was rewatching Mantic's videos that taught me so much so many years past and now disagreeing on a few points. It was like the day I earned my black belt in Judo and was so prideful. Roshi walks up and flips me on my rear end (he was a youthful 80) Kavanaugh San; I not teach you EVERYTHING yet. Box

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 06:48 PM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 07:47 AM)kav Wrote: ...I have standards, and what I see doesn't make it. How hard is it to write a simple script, or preposition the camera so 4  minutes isn't your ingrown toenail?...
You might be surprised how difficult it can be.  That's why I can't make videos as often as a lot of the other "wet tubers."  I'm not saying I agree with the "run and gun" philosophy of a lot of wet shaving videos, just that I understand why they do it.  And besides, most are unaware of the basics of video production technique.  Maybe I need to make a video on how to make a shaving video?   Smile

0 29
 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Mantic!!!!! It is always a pleasure to see you.

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 06:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-19-2016, 06:48 PM)mantic59 Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 07:47 AM)kav Wrote: ...I have standards, and what I see doesn't make it. How hard is it to write a simple script, or preposition the camera so 4  minutes isn't your ingrown toenail?...
You might be surprised how difficult it can be.  That's why I can't make videos as often as a lot of the other "wet tubers."  I'm not saying I agree with the "run and gun" philosophy of a lot of wet shaving videos, just that I understand why they do it.  And besides, most are unaware of the basics of video production technique.  Maybe I need to make a video on how to make a shaving video?   Smile

Biggrin That would be helpful. Great to see you here Mark.

45 17,055