07-28-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
Hi, I'm sorry, I am kind of new to this stuff. I'm not a real computer kind of guy. I got into this kind of shaving from a discussion a few guys had at work. We were talking about what a hassle shaving is and one guy mentioned he liked shaving and we were all kind of stunned but he went on that he used an old razor and got good results.
I'm pretty disgusted with my shaving and basically hate it, but he seems to think that it can be good. He said he was on a internet forum for it but I can't remember which it was so I searched and found this place and thought it might be good to say hi and try to get some information if I can.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Oh, I use a Sensor razor now and Barbasol shave cream in a can cause it's pretty cheap and pretty good.

0 3
 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure the guys here can get you headed into the right direction for an awesome shave! But just the fact that your here is a step in the right direction!

[Image: welcome-2.gif]

7 405
 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
Hi, snood, and welcome to the forum. You have a whole world ahead of you of exploring and learning about wet shaving with non-cartridge razors and actual not-in-a-can shaving cream or soap. I'm sure everybody here will be available to answer your questions and provide suggestions for you. It's good to have you here. We all love our shaving experiences, and I think you eventually will too.

183 12,002
 07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Shave Nook and you should be able to find a great deal of information, here, on how to get started.
Here is something that may help you get started. Enjoy:

http://sharpologist.com/shaving-videos

75 20,883
 07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 3,955
 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM
User Info
I'm taking his advice and washing my face in the shower before I shave instead of shaving before the shower and using saop on my face in the shower to help soften my hair and it seems to help.
If I wanted to get into the old style of shaving and stop using the sensor do you guys have a suggestion on what I can use?
I'm not rich but I have money available for this kind of stuff I just want to make sure I'm not wasting money on something that isn't good. I guess I will need a razor and I will need blades. I been shaving with regular gillette razors for so long that I can't even remember what I used before.
So are you saying that the barbasol is not good to use? What should I get instead of the barbasol?

0 3
 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Instead of the barbasol there are lots of soap/cream choices. The sky is the limit there. But you will also need a brush to use them. There are lots of choices in that department as well.

I my personal favorite brush is from Penworks
http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_p...f3d4f42ed8
He has some inexpensive ones on up to ones that are high end. It's a matter of what you want to spend as well as what works for you. It took me a few tries to find out what worked for ME.

7 405
 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Snood, and enjoy your stay. Smile

Double edge razors can be had for just a few dollars as can a few packs of blades and even a brush. There are some very good shaving creams in a tube that can also be had at pretty reasonable prices. Even if you purchased nothing else, this set-up would last you for years and only the blades and shaving cream would need replacing.

Have a look around our site and, please, do not be afraid to post your questions. Each of us was a "newbie" at one time or another. We are here to help. Again, welcome to The Shave Nook. Smile

2 11,211
 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Hang on, it's going to be an exciting journey.

173 23,490
 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Jump on in, the water's fine!

45 16,285
 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Welcome!
You have received very good advises here,so I just hope you can get a razor,brush and soap/cream and enjoy your shaves.You will see and notice the difference and why many of us are "hooked up" to traditional wet shaving.
Enjoy your stay here.

86 7,123
 07-29-2012, 04:20 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hello and welcome to The Shave Nook. Any kind of wet shaving gear is welcome.

100 12,437
 07-29-2012, 04:32 AM
User Info
It's great to have you in the Nook!

I have a friend that won't switch to single blade razors as he still uses his Mach-whatever cartridges. However, he gets enjoyable shaves by using a brush and quality soap to make his lather. Making your own lather will blow away anything you can get out of an aerosol can.

If you can pick up everything you need (which you can do very inexpensively with quality products), then I'd suggest jumping in with both feet. Your face will thank you and this chore may just turn into an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

31 7,912
 07-29-2012, 04:55 AM
User Info
Snood,
You can pick up an inexpensive boar or horsehair brush for about 15 bucks from one of our fine vendors. I like my Vie Long, but lots of members here are crazy for the boars. I think the 1305 gets much praise but others will know better.

I'm also sure you can find an inexpensive vintage gillette on ebay for about the same or less. A Gillette Super Speed or Flair Tip is a good choice to start and you'll want to check the BST here as inexpensive but truly excellent shavers frequently are put up for sale here by the members.

After that are the soaps and creams. I have some soap in my den doing nothing and would be happy to send you some as well as a some blades to get you started. If this appeals to you, just drop me a note and I'll put a little starter pack of soap and blades together and get it to you this week.

Lots of us go crazy with the spending for gear but you absolutely don't have to. Plenty of people settle on two or three razors, a couple of soaps and a two brush rotation and get perfect shaves from them and fulfill the goal which set many of us on this path but which we never achieved which was to save money.

oake

5 298
 07-29-2012, 07:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hello and welcome... Prepare yourself for a shaving revolution!

91 17,798
 07-29-2012, 08:28 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome!

2 5,527
 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!
Biggrin

9 1,684
 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
I think the previous suggestions to you for equipment are good ones. You might also want to check this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-a-suggested-...wetshavers

183 12,002
 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Visit often and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. We all were where you are at one point. Be patient with yourself as you develop your technique and learn what works best for you. Lastly, be prepared to start enjoying shaving.

29 1,731
 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!

When you start acquiring your first traditional shaving items, be sure to take time to obtain one thing hardware cannot buy and that is Technique!

An excellent method to develop technique is the 30 day rule.

THE 30 DAY RULE. Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your face (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

1 2,827