06-19-2016, 04:22 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I am still enjoying my new Mergress. I made passes at every click. It was like that hairpin turn on Malibu Canyon Road  I kept taking faster and faster until the rear end broke traction and I did a 4 wheel drift in front of spectators watching motorcyclists go into road rash slides. I made it to 8 without injury and 8+ to 10
were , uh 4 wheel drifts looking over the cliff in  my RDH Mini cooper S.
I have reread all of your older posts gleaning more usefull information. I agree; this razor bends blades in a longbow arch. When my Polsilver faded  there was a deuce of a time freeing it from the topcap. I have those gluespots facing down now. I'm still to lazy to remove them. I have a vague understanding of the internal mechanism but would love to see a disassembled example. I am unsure what setting relieves tension on the spring between use?
Hopefully, If I may invite Eric to pass on his thoughts ( oil or no oil)? I don't think he need promote his work and give cause to other razor companies. They seem to sell fast.

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 05:00 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The highest # relieves the spring pressure the most unless you remove the knob which pulls out by unscrewing completely. Razor then has 3 pieces...top plate..handle/bottom plate (does not come off) and then the knob. You can remove metal split ring ...only purpose is to keep knob from falling off when completely unscrewed...can be oiled as much as you like ....makes no difference to what Mergress knob does....Always make sure you have the notch on the bottom plate on the same side as the triangle mark on the top plate.

6 2,028
 06-19-2016, 05:27 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
If the entire razor is hard chromed oil is a  waste of time. Eric must use pretty tight tolerances to avoid cutting into the dreaded Zamak-sounds like a Marvel Comics villain. Euro

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 05:53 PM
  • Mer
  • Mr. Mergress
  • Illinois
User Info
Evening All,

I would definitely recommend oil.  I use Mineral oil during assembly and that seems to smooth it up and prevent corrosion/soap scum from taking hold.  The razor is chrome plated but not hard chrome.  When I assemble them I oil the internal threads on the knob, the end of the handle that slides against the number ring and finally, the blade platform shaft.  I'd have to check, but I think you can get a couple turns before tension is completely relieved on the blade.  Kav, I'm pretty sure your blade getting stuck was the because it got hung up on the alignment pins on the underside of the head.  It happens to me every 4th or 5th blade.  Probably just something in the stamping when they're made.  The "glue" seems like soft wax to keep the paper from unfolding and I can't imagine it locking your blade on.

Hope this helped,

Mer

0 21
 06-19-2016, 06:09 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Thankyou! I will pick up some mineral oil. Will it migrate internally without disassembly? I once owned an Astra 400 pistol carried by an Abraham Lincoln Brigade vet. .They are infamous for monster recoil springs. I stripped it once, went to reassemble and took out a limoge vase when it launched across the room. I've avoided springs ever since.

2 3,171
 06-19-2016, 06:30 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The spring does NOT come out...it is permanently attached to the bottom plate/handle assembly.

6 2,028
 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Oh good, my Anchor Hocking ivory soap dish is safe from flying springs. Dodgy

2 3,171
 06-23-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
(06-19-2016, 04:22 PM)kav Wrote: I am still enjoying my new Mergress. I made passes at every click. It was like that hairpin turn on Malibu Canyon Road  I kept taking faster and faster until the rear end broke traction and I did a 4 wheel drift in front of spectators watching motorcyclists go into road rash slides. I made it to 8 without injury and 8+ to 10
I have reread all of your older posts gleaning more usefull information. I agree; this razor bends blades in a longbow arch. When my Polsilver faded  there was a deuce of a time freeing it from the topcap. I have those gluespots facing down now. I'm still to lazy to remove them. I have a vague understanding of the internal mechanism but would love to see a disassembled example. I am unsure what setting relieves tension on the spring between use?
Hopefully, If I may invite Eric to pass on his thoughts ( oil or no oil)? I don't think he need promote his work and give cause to other razor companies. They seem to sell fast.

I want a Mergress so bad (hope Mer is reading...) - absolutely love my Progess XL for how well it shaves, but can't stand the smooth handle and ugly, cheap plastic knob.  Wrote Merkur but they've no plans to improve the Progress (though IMHO they really should).  Sad

Anyway, I haven't [yet] experienced this issue you're talking about.  I meticulously clean my Progress after every shave and wipe down my blade each time as well (daubing it with a towel on both sides several times).  I don't like the wax spots on the Polsilvers - but considering the vastly superior shaves they give I guess the annoying wax spots are a small price to pay.  Every couple of weeks I'll put a few drops of mineral oil on the razor's mechanism and threads - but then, I've only had my Progress for about 7 month and I don't know if your routine might be an issue.

0 377
 06-23-2016, 07:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I usually shave the wax spots off with the old blade. I didn't that time and  managed a perfect storm of wax adhering to the top plate, the extreme curvature  and  random hangup of a blade slightly off spec with the posts. It was really no big issue; very hot water and a thin spey blade  and I was good to go. I am scraping the wax off religiously from now on.
Be patient and BULLGOOSE will have another lot for sale. No need for Merkur to upgrade. Many machined items; firearms, car engines, even mechanical watches benefit from aftermarket refinement and upgrades. It is simply prohibitive for all but some marques known for precision
workmanship to invest in.

2 3,171
 06-23-2016, 07:11 PM
User Info
(06-23-2016, 07:02 PM)kav Wrote: I usually shave the wax spots off with the old blade. I didn't that time and  managed a perfect storm of wax adhering to the top plate, the extreme curvature  and  random hangup of a blade slightly off spec with the posts. It was really no big issue; very hot water and a thin spey blade  and I was good to go. I am scraping the wax off religiously from now on.
Be patient and BULLGOOSE will have another lot for sale. No need for Merkur to upgrade. Many machined items; firearms, car engines, even mechanical watches benefit from aftermarket refinement and upgrades. It is simply prohibitive for all but some marques known for precision
workmanship to invest in.

Thanks - and good idea re 'shaving' off the spots - but rather than waste a couple old blades, I've a box of Personna Blues that would be perfect for that - they're certainly worthless for anything else.  Wink

Yep - keeping my eye open and wallet ready!  Smile

Dream 
Wouldn't it be awesome if Merkur could tool up and produce a SS version of the Progress?  Won't happen (they told me so) but material and machining aside, I think it's the best designed head out there - love the deep rinse channels, among other things.
/Dream

0 377
 06-23-2016, 07:39 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
It would be foolhardy for Merkur to abandon a tried and true production method. The new SS makers produce lovely, and expensive razors with limited capacity and a ready  market. Not everyone can, or wants to invest so much and there are  good shavers from a fastfood meal for two up
to  a evening date. My own ironic twist is the slant, which I do rotate has become my shaver when pressed for time and to clean up nape, sidewalls and sideburns trying to trim parallel Until looking like Breaker Morant. I know, in spite of reassuring articles new shavers look at it as a
instrument befitting a dentist' table in a strip mall next to a pachinko parlor. Master one Merkur and they all behave.

2 3,171
 06-23-2016, 07:50 PM
User Info
(06-23-2016, 07:39 PM)kav Wrote: It would be foolhardy for Merkur to abandon a tried and true production method.
The new SS makers produce lovely, and expensive razors with limited capacity and a ready  market. Not everyone can, or wants to invest so much and there are  good shavers from a fastfood meal for two up
to  a evening date. My own ironic twist is the slant, which I do rotate has become my shaver when pressed for time and to clean up nape, sidewalls and sideburns trying to trim parallel Until looking like Breaker Morant. I know, in spite of reassuring articles new shavers look at it as a
instrument befitting a dentist' table in a strip mall next to a pachinko parlor. Master one Merkur and they all behave.
Not only foolhardy, but incredibly expensive, particularly to go from pot metal to stainless steel.

...still... It's good to hope.  Smile

0 377
 06-23-2016, 08:24 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Monsanto's busy little labs haven't come up with a GMO pig with silk ears. Pot metal has a very valid place in manufacture. I figure if I take care
of my Mergress it will take care of me until shot by a jealous husband @ 100: or so said the Gypsy at a Basque restaurant in Bakersfield.

2 3,171
 06-23-2016, 08:36 PM
User Info
(06-23-2016, 08:24 PM)kav Wrote: Monsanto's busy little labs haven't come up with a GMO pig with silk ears. Pot metal has a very valid place in manufacture. I figure if I take care
of my Mergress it will take care of me until shot by a jealous husband @ 100: or so said the Gypsy at a Basque restaurant in Bakersfield.

LOL - well said.

Still.... What if someone DID manage to breed a GMO pig with silk ears?  What would the gypsy say then?

0 377
 06-23-2016, 08:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I was taught a Romany curse befitting that company but  warned never to write it down, less it be read by innocent parties.

2 3,171
 06-23-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
"Curse not the possibility creatures who can't might someday fly.  Curse instead the moment specially modified ones do." - anon

0 377
 07-03-2016, 03:38 PM
User Info
(06-23-2016, 06:47 PM)Niemander Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 04:22 PM)kav Wrote: I am still enjoying my new Mergress. I made passes at every click. It was like that hairpin turn on Malibu Canyon Road  I kept taking faster and faster until the rear end broke traction and I did a 4 wheel drift in front of spectators watching motorcyclists go into road rash slides. I made it to 8 without injury and 8+ to 10

I want a Mergress so bad (hope Mer is reading...) - absolutely love my Progess XL for how well it shaves, but can't stand the smooth handle and ugly, cheap plastic knob.  Wrote Merkur but they've no plans to improve the Progress (though IMHO they really should).  Sad

Anyway, I haven't [yet] experienced this issue you're talking about.  I meticulously clean my Progress after every shave and wipe down my blade each time as well (daubing it with a towel on both sides several times).  I don't like the wax spots on the Polsilvers - but considering the vastly superior shaves they give I guess the annoying wax spots are a small price to pay.  Every couple of weeks I'll put a few drops of mineral oil on the razor's mechanism and threads - but then, I've only had my Progress for about 7 month and I don't know if your routine might be an issue.

The Mergress are back in stock.  https://bullgooseshaving.com/products/me...dium=email

0 79