06-21-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
For those of you who have both brushes, how would you compare the Semogue 2000 to the boar SOC? I have a SOC and I really like it. It's not nearly broken in yet. I like it so much I was thinking of trying the 2000. 
I will appreciate any inputs.

5 1,562
 06-21-2016, 05:37 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I like the 2000 a little better than the soc because it's a little bigger.

5 527
 06-21-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
(06-21-2016, 05:37 PM)Chaddy Wrote: I like the 2000 a little better than the soc because it's a little bigger.

Bigger knot, loft, or just overall in height?

148 3,592
 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
(06-21-2016, 06:00 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 05:37 PM)Chaddy Wrote: I like the 2000 a little better than the soc because it's a little bigger.

The SOC has a 24mm knot and the 2000 has a 25mm knot. Not a big difference there. The loft of the SOC is 57mm, the loft on the 2000, well I've seen some places say it's 60mm some say 62. I think the main difference is the type of boar hair that is used. The SOC uses Premium 90% tops special. The 2000 uses Premium 90% tops and mixed with Super 70% tops. That's probably the biggest difference.

5 1,562
 06-21-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
(06-21-2016, 06:51 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 06:00 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:

The SOC has a 24mm knot and the 2000 has a 25mm knot. Not a big difference there. The loft of the SOC is 57mm, the loft on the 2000, well I've seen some places say it's 60mm some say 62. I think the main difference is the type of boar hair that is used. The SOC uses Premium 90% tops special. The 2000 uses Premium 90% tops and mixed with Super 70% tops. That's probably the biggest difference.

Thanks for letting me know! Much appreciated. I have the SOC myself and so far has been my favorite boar of all the ones I've tried. Fully broken in its just an all around great brush!

148 3,592
 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM
User Info
SOC - Softer, tons of splay, huge breakin period

2000 - Firmer, stays more compact, long breakin (not as much as the SOC)

I really wanted to like the 2000, on account of the breat handle and better control on the face.  It's an excellent brush in many ways, and if you've had positive experiences with Omega boars it could be a good fit.  For me, however, the hair was too scratchy after even 6 months, and it just wasn't getting real use compared to the other piggies I have.

16 250
 06-26-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
Now to answer my own question. I just got in a 2000 a few days ago. I put it thru a few wet & dry cycles since I got it. Yes I know it's still not broken in yet but my SOC and my other boar brushes such as my Omega 49 and my Semogue 1800 all performed well right out of the box for bowl lathering. I tried the 2000 tonight and there is something about it I just don't like. I did not care for the performance at all. I had a difficult time making a good lather.
I had one of these about 3 years ago and I didn't like it then. I ended up giving it away. I thought I may have judged it to soon, so I tried it again. I know it's still only one shave but there is something about this brush I just don't like. I see another PIF coming.

5 1,562
 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 04:31 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Now to answer my own question. I just got in a 2000 a few days ago. I put it thru a few wet & dry cycles since I got it. Yes I know it's still not broken in yet but my SOC and my other boar brushes such as my Omega 49 and my Semogue 1800 all performed well right out of the box for bowl lathering. I tried the 2000 tonight and there is something about it I just don't like. I did not care for the performance at all. I had a difficult time making a good lather.
I had one of these about 3 years ago and I didn't like it then. I ended up giving it away. I thought I may have judged it to soon, so I tried it again. I know it's still only one shave but there is something about this brush I just don't like. I see another PIF coming.

I felt the same about mine.

I don't lke the relatively short wooden handle and the high boar loft - it looks like it's gonna fall over.....it looks unbalanced.
The sticker on mine came off when I unwrapped it.

I sold it together with some other stuff.
I'm sure someone will love it. Just not for me.

But Boars are unfortunately not quite my taste, as they take too long to break in, and I have a large rotation of badgers, so breaking a boar in will take months, breaking 10 in will take years - at first only would bowl lather my boars, but skipped the idea and only face lather now again, so the boars are now dust collectors in my den.

Not quite crazy about the boar brush looks, even though I know it's a boar ands it looks that way - I just don't quite fancy their bloom and especially the top view on all boars look like a mess.

Since it does not perform better or close to as good as my badgers, and it's not a thing of beauty, it collects dust on my shelf - once again  Biggrin

24 6,018
 06-26-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
Yeah Claus, I like my SOC for bowl lathering. In fact it is now my favorite brush for bowl lathering. As I have said before, I can't seem to get a boar to work for face lathering. I don't know how other guys do it. I once tried a Semogue 610 because I see that brush recommended more than any other brush for face lathering. I gave that one a really fair try and I still could not make it work with a shave stick.
So I'll stick with my SOC boar for bowl lathering but I'm done buying boar brushes.

5 1,562
 06-26-2016, 08:39 PM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 06:19 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Yeah Claus, I like my SOC for bowl lathering. In fact it is now my favorite brush for bowl lathering. As I have said before, I can't seem to get a boar to work for face lathering. I don't know how other guys do it. I once tried a Semogue 610 because I see that brush recommended more than any other brush for face lathering. I gave that one a really fair try and I still could not make it work with a shave stick.
So I'll stick with my SOC boar for bowl lathering but I'm done buying boar brushes.

They will work for face lathering, and I did once get a 830 Semogue to kind of break in while I only face lathered with it - but it never in any way felt like the boar fans have said it would feel - soft and effective like a badger or even better.

Never at one point did I say to myself: WoW, now I get it. Now I know why boars are so popular among the budget shavers.
I did find a couple of my boars did perform very well, but it seems like they performed better with some soaps, and then for some reason lacked the performence with other of my soaps. My badgers perform well no matter the soaps I use, as lons as it's high quality soaps of course.

I still won't bash boars, because they certainly do have a place in many shavers den, but I have really tried to like them, but for face lathering I would only ever use them, if all my badgers were gone and I could only afford boars. Then I would use the same two boars for 2-3 weeks straight and break them in that way.

But with my large brush rotation, I find it impossible to believe I can break a boar in soon enough to be willing to keep it.
For me a non broaken in boar does not perform up to par - and I would rather pick (see what I did there) a synthetic over a boar, but even better one of my many badgers.

24 6,018
 06-26-2016, 09:56 PM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 08:39 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 06:19 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Yeah Claus, I like my SOC for bowl lathering. In fact it is now my favorite brush for bowl lathering. As I have said before, I can't seem to get a boar to work for face lathering. I don't know how other guys do it. I once tried a Semogue 610 because I see that brush recommended more than any other brush for face lathering. I gave that one a really fair try and I still could not make it work with a shave stick.

They will work for face lathering, and I did once get a 830 Semogue to kind of break in while I only face lathered with it - but it never in any way felt like the boar fans have said it would feel - soft and effective like a badger or even better.

Never at one point did I say to myself: WoW, now I get it. Now I know why boars are so popular among the budget shavers.
I did find a couple of my boars did perform very well, but it seems like they performed better with some soaps, and then for some reason lacked the performence with other of my soaps. My badgers perform well no matter the soaps I use, as lons as it's high quality soaps of course.

I still won't bash boars, because they certainly do have a place in many shavers den, but I have really tried to like them, but for face lathering I would only ever use them, if all my badgers were gone and I could only afford boars. Then I would use the same two boars for 2-3 weeks straight and break them in that way.

But with my large brush rotation, I find it impossible to believe I can break a boar in soon enough to be willing to keep it.
For me a non broaken in boar does not perform up to par - and I would rather pick (see what I did there) a synthetic over a boar, but even better one of my many badgers.

Well I must confess, for face lathering, using a stick, (that's the only way I face lather) I prefer synthetics over boar or badger. I tried a nice 2 band badger Thater brush that a lot of guys recommended. I didn't like it at all. I ended up selling it.

5 1,562