06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
User Info
As I took my journey to continue shrinking the size of my brushes(from the 30mm 49125/4 Thater MONSTER I bought as my first brush) and explored Simpson's line of brushes to discover my sweet spot nearest ~21mm/~45mm, I had to rely on a lot of different forums to find side by side comparison photos since there aren't any shops near me who stock Simpson's.    So in interest of returning the favor, I pulled out my darling little ones today to help the next victims of SBAD to visibly see how they compare to each other.    I will add another photo tomorrow of the brushes dry and their normal blooms.

Here are some photos fresh out of their Simpson storage boxes and freshly clean after a good test lather to get them in shape for their photo shoot.  

[Image: ADJvHjk.jpg]
[Image: xx7lUmt.jpg]
[Image: yZo3b8k.jpg]

Above shot before being lathered up.  L to R is same as the line up above.
[Image: ewoVi8Z.jpg]

And after shot all nice and wet.  L to R same line up as above
[Image: oHYKnsH.jpg]

I have many more photos of comparisons of 2 brushes side by side if anyone has interest.   I just didnt want to clog up the post with 6 more huge photos.   Biggrin   Besides I would like to see the photos tomorrow of them all dry for comparison to these photos.

Enjoy!

39 275
 06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good work on the side by side shots. Enjoy your quest for brushes. I'm going the other way. Started with small and now prefer large brushes. There was a brief period recently when I thought I had an addiction problem, but rather than dwell on it too long, I simply bought another. I had me a good enabling.

3 1,754
 06-22-2016, 05:21 PM
User Info
Nice! collection! which is your fave of all the Simpsons ? which of them do you feel is better for face lathering ? bowl lathering ?? thanks in advance!!

0 103
 06-22-2016, 05:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Beautiful brushes, congratulations on finding your sweet spot! 

Do you have a favourite? The 56 looks like it has a particularly nice knot!

I tend to favour large brushes, but the CL1 is my favourite small brush (for use when travelling, I love the Wee Scot too, but rarely use it).

The CL1 is around your preferred dimensions with a 21.5mm diameter and 43mm loft in Best. It's loft is slightly lower to permit comfortable storage in the travel case. It feels noticeably denser than a Duke. Might also be worth having a look at?

99 18,009
 06-22-2016, 05:30 PM
User Info
Nice collection of Simpsons.  I like that they're all traditional Simpson cream.  Your sweeet spot in brush size is smaller than mine.  I find even the Duke 3 handle to be smaller than I prefer.  Fortunately, there is the M7, which has a knot similar to the Duke 3 in a handle I like a lot.

41 5,104
 06-22-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
Lovely collection! Thumbsup

82 21,024
 06-23-2016, 12:12 AM
User Info
(06-22-2016, 05:21 PM)capri Wrote: Nice! collection! which is your fave of all the Simpsons ? which of them do you feel is better for face lathering ? bowl lathering ?? thanks in advance!!

A favorite?  A bit of a tough question as other than these models, the only other Simpson product I have tried was a Duke 3.  There might be another model I have yet to try which I might like better than these.   To me, a lot of it comes down to the ergonomics of how the handle fits in my hand and whether or not the knot explodes on my face(my issues with the Duke 3 and 2 models).    

All of the Simpsons I have tried and most other manufacturers hold their lather well when loaded correctly.  

IMO, the 46 and 56 are extremely close competitors.   Their knots are nearly the same, but I have the feeling that the 46 is a bit denser, doesn't splay as much, and is easier at loading and building lather whereas the 56 is one of the softest BEST knots I have had the luxury to try.      I also favor the ergonomics and smoothness of the grip ring of the 56 more b/c I am not a huge fan of the sharp edges used with the double bands on the Duke and 46 style brushes.  However I prefer the handle size and feel of 46 as the 56 feels a bit longer/slender in the hand in direct comparison.    If I could combine what I like about each, I would have the perfect brush(perhaps an idea for my next Rudy Vey project!).  

Based on price alone, I would recommend the 46 hands down to anyone as their entry model to the Simpson line up.   Otherwise, jump at at a 56 as they often have softer knots in them.  

The S1B feels smallest on the face of course due to it's size, but still gets the job done well.     You can definitely notice a difference in it's size compared to the others since it is one of the smallest Simpson Brushes.

With regards to face/bowl lathering, they all excel.  I had been using a small metal IKEA metal bowl(I think about 12cms in diameter and about 6cms deep) until recently getting a Fine Bowl.  The depth of the IKEA bowl make things feel borderline a bit cramped.   For certain, anyone with large sized hands would absolutely have a problem using such a small bowl with these smaller brushes.   Because of how shallow the Fine Bowl is, it is easier to use and a joy with any smaller brush.   If you are or become a bowl latherer, I would recommend a shallow bowl if you prefer smaller brushes.  

Here is a bit more specs on these brushes to show you just how similar they are in many aspects other than the knots along with a photo.  

Rudy Vey Custom Simpson Model Duke 1
     Knot:   22mm/41.5mm Shavemac 2 Band
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):  30.5mm
     Widest Handle Diameter:  34mm
     Handle Height:  42mm
     Weight:  54g

Duke 2:
     Knot:  22mm/47mm
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):  31mm
     Widest Diameter of Handle:   36mm
     Handle height:  43
     Weight:  59g

Berkeley 46:  
     Knot:  21mm/45mm
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):   28mm
     Widest Diameter of Handle:  33.5mm
     Handle Height:  45mm
     Weight:   52g

56:  
     Knot:  20.5mm/46.3mm
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):  27mm
     Widest Diameter of Handle:  32.5mm
     Handle Height:  48.25mm
     Weight:  52g

Special S1B:
     Knot:  19mm/42,5mm
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):  26mm
     Widest Diameter of Handle:  33mm
     Handle Height:  50.5mm
     Weight:  53g

Rudy Vey Custom Simpson Modeled AS3M
     Knot:   20.3mm/46mm TGN Finest
     Lower Grip Diameter(thinnest part of handle):  27.25mm
     Widest Handle Diameter:  35.5mm
     Handle Height:  59mm
     Weight:  65g
[Image: fbWWGzW.jpg]

(06-22-2016, 05:28 PM)ben74 Wrote: The CL1 is around your preferred dimensions with a 21.5mm diameter and 43mm loft in Best. It's loft is slightly lower to permit comfortable storage in the travel case. It feels noticeably denser than a Duke. Might also be worth having a look at?
Ben,
I had been toying with the idea of a CL1, but was a bit intimated by the density(although I thoroughly enjoy seeing all your SOTD and other posts with your CL1 beauties).   In an effort to reproduce a Duke 1 with a smaller knot than average(as I thought the splay might still be big similar to the Duke 2) I commissioned Rudy Vey do a custom Duke 1 with a Shavemac 2 Band 20mm/42mm knot that came out as a 22mm/41.5mm.   Prior to purchasing it, I had only experienced 1 x Super Knot and never understood the hype with a Shavemac 2 Band....well now I do.   Due to it's density, it doesn't bloom much and almost not at all compared the other brushes above(or any other I have owned), but it is SOOOOOO soft on the face that I sometimes don't want to stop applying lather sometimes.   Thumbup

I would be interested to try some of the other smaller Simpson models like Emperor 1, Tulip 1, Commodore X1, 55(although as the 56 is borderline too slim/small, it might be also too small), Keyhole 1 & 2, and Persian Jar 1.  Although as many of these have similar knot sizes to the above handles, it would become a preference for what style handle I prefer...with the exception of the Super Hair models.  

My personal goal is to find the best ergonomic handle for my taste and commission Rudy to make 2 handles out of some stabilized Beech Wood I will harvest from my parents property in Kentucky....but the journey to get there would be so much faster/cheaper if more retailers offered the variety and actual store location to visit such as Superior Shave to view and feel different models before buying them.

39 275
 06-23-2016, 09:00 AM
User Info
The 46 (acquired here on the Nook) was indeed my entry into the Simpson's world.
My other brush of theirs is the Wee Scot, and i am fond of it.

I don't feel compelled to get more but do have some curiosity about certain others, notably the Duke line.

8 866
 10-28-2016, 03:10 AM
User Info
to add to this thread....I just got a Duke 1 in comparison to a 46 Berkeley.  Both have identical 21/45 knots.

[Image: PSQrybz.jpg]

39 275
 10-28-2016, 03:14 AM
User Info
Beautiful collection. Congrats !

Lorenzo

29 1,084
 11-22-2016, 02:50 AM
User Info
so after going a few rounds with the Duke 1 , I find the handle is simply too small to comfortably hold. The Duke 2 was the perfect size for a Duke handle, but the loft was unfortunately too big for my tastes.

The clear winner in both ergonomics and knot size of all these brushes I tried is by far the Berkeley 46 with a very close 2nd being the 56.....for anyone who cares.

39 275
 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
I find myself in complete agreement with the OP as far as knot size, and the original ivory color is also a refreshing return to a simpler, and perhaps more restrained style than the current "bowling ball" acrylics that have become so popular, but are rapidly becoming overdone, in my humble opinion. I love the acrylics also, but tend toward ones that can occur in nature, like briar, marble jade or horn. Nothing wrong with the others, if that's what one chooses, but they seem to be getting more and more garish ...

Just my $.02

0 334
 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Those aren't small brushes!

These are small brushes:
[Image: PtrYwoO.jpg]

137 2,624
 11-23-2016, 06:43 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(11-23-2016, 12:35 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
Those aren't small brushes!

These are small brushes:
[Image: PtrYwoO.jpg]

Those are Awesome! I love the wood one with the string.

27 1,612
 11-24-2016, 05:06 PM
User Info
(11-22-2016, 01:13 PM)BlacknTan Wrote: I find myself in complete agreement with the OP as far as knot size, and the original ivory color is also a refreshing return to a simpler, and perhaps more restrained style than the current "bowling ball" acrylics that have become so popular, but are rapidly becoming overdone, in my humble opinion. I love the acrylics also, but tend toward ones that can occur in nature, like briar, marble jade or horn. Nothing wrong with the others, if that's what one chooses, but they seem to be getting more and more garish ...

Just my $.02

I totally agree with you. I adore the classic Simpson ivory. I have 5 Simpsons and 4 of which are ivory and the 5th one only came in a different color so I had no option.

To address the OP, I have tried a D3 Best a few years ago and it just had too much backbone and was too dense for my liking. Since then I've been using 2 bands... only recently I tried a Commodore X2, 3 band Best. It's a 22x49 mm and it's absolutely fantastic. I have to say that I was really impressed. It's starting to break in very nicely, I dare to say it's putting my two bands (2-3 times the cost) to shame. Apparently it's a special batch of 3 band hair called "chestnut" hair... I don't know too much about t honestly but the brush is fantastic

8 765
 11-24-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
I bought a Duke 1 to be a travel brush when I am staying put in one place for more than a night. I like it so much, it stays in the rotation when I am at home. I too wish the handle was a little bigger, and might look at adding a Berkley. Thanks to @hillbillyreverend for the comparison photos.

I had a Classic 1 in synthetic that I used, teamed up with the Duke 1 when I traveled. I probably would have liked it in a best, but the synthetic knot was way to stiff to be comfortable. It has since hit the trail.

I do own a Classic 2, and it is right in my wheelhouse (22-24mm) for knot size, and dense as all get out, but like the Duke 1, the handle is smaller than I would prefer for steady daily use. Still a great brush though.

[Image: c5a15733dbaa73943f2e472edb9854b6.jpg]

15 402
 05-11-2017, 12:58 AM
User Info
and here is a comparison of the Classic 2 to a Duke 2.

[Image: bbgyRZO.jpg]

39 275
 05-13-2017, 03:26 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I do prefer brushes from 19-22 millimeters. I do not feel the need for huge brushes.

16 392
 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
My Wee Scot will get an outing today. My Berkeley 46 remains a reliable member of the rotation.
If I ever decide to get another brush, the Dukes do interest me...as does the Case.

8 866
 05-13-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
My Berkeley 46 is a proud member of the lineup...mostly for travel these days.  An excellent brush, my first Simpson.

[Image: BoiJADU.jpg]

13 965