06-25-2016, 10:18 PM
User Info
I was curious how folks act when they get near the end of a soap, cream, or aftershave. Do you decide to buckle down and finish it? Do you just put it back until you have the urge to use that one again? Do you immediately go out and order another one even though most of us have way too much already?

With samples, I usually try to use them start to finish, because they aren't very big and it sometimes takes time to get used to a new product.

6 805
 06-25-2016, 10:41 PM
User Info
"Do you just put it back until you have the urge to use that one again? "

This.. I'm sort of a hoarder, I hate losing stuff, specially the ones not easy for me to get again. 

11 1,170
 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM
User Info
This hasn't happened too me too often, but the ones I have gotten to the end of has just stayed in the rotation until they were all gone. None were directly replaced but new soaps keeps tricking in all the time anyway, so... Biggrin

3 4,674
 06-26-2016, 03:24 AM
User Info
When I get close, I usually keep going it until it's finished. And I will typically avoid restocking the same product, unless it's an absolute favorite. But even then, I will wait at least a few months until I feel the desire to use that product again.

41 1,196
 06-26-2016, 04:59 AM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 03:24 AM)shevek Wrote: When I get close, I usually keep going it until it's finished. And I will typically avoid restocking the same product, unless it's an absolute favorite. But even then, I will wait at least a few months until I feel the desire to use that product again.

+1.  I do this too, I feel that if after I few months I am craving for a particular soap that I've finished then I will buy another one.  I have about 5 or 6 products that are my favorite and will always restock those when they get low.

18 468
 06-26-2016, 06:45 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Now that I'm trying to be a little more of an adult and more responsible  Confused about this sort of thing, when I get close to the end of a favorite product I use it less often to stretch it out longer (I know, makes no sense) but when I get to the point where there's absolutely only one or two uses left I order a refill. If I just like it but it's not in my top 5 or so I don't order another anymore. The idea is to eventually only have my absolute favorite soaps and creams someday.
Of course, I used to have the goal of breaking the three minute mile too.

7 2,359
 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My collection doesn't come near the dragon hoard some of you sleep on. I still get long looks from visitors at what I do have . The soap market is ridiculously volatile. Artisan soaps change formulations and go in and out of business like fireflies at night. Established brands can find customer choices change and languish on shelves, eventually discounted and discontinued by that vital link, the vendor. Or, like a high end Italian house go Omerta in some Machiavellian intrigue. Some agency determines an ingredient causes dementia in lab mice and a classic product is reformulated; causing mental disease in the customer. Sometimes it's a  new CEO scent marking his  new territory like an insecure dog, usually with a Minime bean counter who can get a great deal on synthetic patchouli oil from Azerbaijan with a bribe at the border .
Who needs this? I have a few favorites that continue to please and have been stable in the face of all the above. But I've seen to much change for
the worst; starting when PLAYBOY removed the staples and the government silver from coins. I'm trying to build up enough reserve stock to brace
for the worst.

2 3,171
 06-26-2016, 08:00 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
When I get close to finishing a soap, I use it more often to just finish it up.  I have not ordered the exact replacement yet, but I have ordered different scents from the same maker.

7 1,279
 06-26-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
I never seem to run out of my main soap. I use shave-sticks, so when they are almost used up, I just add more soap from the large collection of pucks I have, so it the sticks never seem to be depleted. Biggrin 
Nonetheless, with my unrefined shea butter, Thayers Witch Hazel, or EOs, I use them all up until I open/start a new one.

83 21,110
 06-26-2016, 01:29 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I haven't finished many products.  But when I get close, I load the crap out of it so I can get to the end faster.  You now, just so I can feel good about finally finishing a product. Biggrin

169 1,424
 06-26-2016, 03:03 PM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 01:29 PM)Steelman Wrote: I haven't finished many products.  But when I get close, I load the crap out of it so I can get to the end faster.  You now, just so I can feel good about finally finishing a product. Biggrin

Pretty much the same here. I rotate soaps weekly unless nearing its end. I have my favourites and try to have plenty in stock just in case...

It's still surprising how fast soap seems to accumulate in my den though...I've dedicated an entire cabinet to soaps and creams!

0 650
 06-26-2016, 03:04 PM
User Info
I use an Old Spice mug and when it is just about empty, I just add more to the mug. 

Right now I have LPL on top of a sliver of Arko.

18 591
 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
I finished the part of Proraso which good for shaving. 

There was some left which could be used for bathing. 

This stayed with me for a while until I used some of it.

1 456
 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM
User Info
If it's something I like, I already usually have another before I get close to finishing it.

I just use whatever I'm in the mood for each morning. If it's the same thing for days or weeks or something different every day. When the mood strikes I use something different.

Some stuff I have combined if I notice they're low. Some stuff I have pitched if it got so low that it was a pain to use. Some stuff I have worked harder to get every last shave out of.

I have a mug I grated C&S into right now that it a ring around the inside of the mug. I'm not throwing it or combining it with anything. I'll use the last little bit one way or another. It's looked that way for a couple of weeks now though. I haven't been in the mood for it lately is all.

I had a tube of Irish Moos in a drawer I got tired of looking at. I never cared for the scent. I threw it away and saw the next week it was discontinued. I felt bad about that. If I had known I would have been happy to give that to someone who liked it.

Unless I am buying a LE or something really new that doesn't have many reviews now I usually buy in twos now. Like Fine Soap or Dr. Selby's. Both of those I am happy I got two of. SV I only got one of, but wish I had gotten more. I have to get a backup so I don't panic if it starts to run out.

10 1,455
 06-28-2016, 10:57 AM
User Info
I too make a push to try to finish. Usually by that time I've had my fill of the product, even though it may be perfectly good.
I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I re-order!

8 948
 06-29-2016, 04:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The closer a product is to its end the more I'm determined to see it meet it...

99 18,011
 06-29-2016, 05:55 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(06-29-2016, 04:58 AM)ben74 Wrote: The closer a product is to its end the more I'm determined to see it meet it...
Me too. I always want to make room for new products!

49 2,017
 07-04-2016, 09:07 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(06-25-2016, 10:18 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I was curious how folks act when they get near the end of a soap, cream, or aftershave. Do you decide to buckle down and finish it? Do you just put it back until you have the urge to use that one again? Do you immediately go out and order another one even though most of us have way too much already?

With samples, I usually try to use them start to finish, because they aren't very big and it sometimes takes time to get used to a new product.

I immediately order a new one of whatever product in on the outs! 
...unless it's a product that I absolutely despised... which is rare for me

129 320
 07-13-2016, 10:40 AM
  • Redd
User Info
By the time I am half way through a product I will have decided if this is something I really must have forever and ever, so I usually go out and buy an armful - just in case it gets discontinued or heaven forbid, the inevitably for the worse REFORMULATION!!!!

Shops love me Blush

0 15
 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
Regarding soaps, I trash them before I end the full product. When the puck shows the hole in the center starts becoming a guilt product and go to trash after some more uses, two or three.
After shave and another bottled products usually remain with me until the last drop. And I never buy another too early. I dislike a lot having so many products cause just shave myself four to six times per week and products last for ever to me (I have already soaps from 2014 and I hate that).

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

1 113