07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Hello All-

I have several DR Harris soaps. In the past, I've found the lather to be slick with decent cushion and generally a decent product.

Lately, the lather seems to be disappearing from my face. That is, it just thins out and starts to go away. And I can't determine what's going on.

I face lather with various brushes. I don't think I skimp on product loading the brush. I have a water softener and have for years. So the water quality hasn't changed.

Does anyone else have challenges with DRH? Am I missing something simple?

Or should I just use other products such as MdC, Tom's, etc and forget about it?

Any help?

47 1,378
 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-29-2012, 03:34 PM)MaxP Wrote: Hello All-

I have several DR Harris soaps. In the past, I've found the lather to be slick with decent cushion and generally a decent product.

Lately, the lather seems to be disappearing from my face. That is, it just thins out and starts to go away. And I can't determine what's going on.

I face lather with various brushes. I don't think I skimp on product loading the brush. I have a water softener and have for years. So the water quality hasn't changed.

Does anyone else have challenges with DRH? Am I missing something simple?

Or should I just use other products such as MdC, Tom's, etc and forget about it?

Any help?

Max :

with your experience in wet shaving,I can only tell you to load the brush with more soap,at least,for 40 seconds,until you create a creamy lather,and then, face or bowl lather.Im sure that you will get stable lather for a 4/5/6 razor passes shave.Remember that Harris is a triple milled soap,which needs to be loaded more than other regular soaps.

Let us know if that works for you.

86 7,123
 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
User Info
I'm ignorant regarding water softeners, but is there anything that you need to replace or clean on it? Maybe it's not providing water as soft as you're used to.

31 7,912
 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
Is it a new puck or the same puck?

My DRH is over a year old each so, maybe they changed the formula on us?

But, like Teiste said, more loading is my solution to that problem.

9 2,988
 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Use more product. Not kidding, load your brush and when you think you're done, load some more. When building lather on your face dip just the ends of your brush in water and build, do it 3-4 times until you reach the right consistency.

88 4,233
 07-29-2012, 04:57 PM
User Info
Here's an out of the box one for you:

(Unless it's a brand new puck and D.R.H changed their formula in which case it truly is the end)

You've changed.

I don't know, but what usually happens to me is I start cutting corners. A few seconds here, a few there, stop soaking the badger beforehand and just run it under the faucet, maybe try to load for 20 seconds instead of 40-60. DRH is a hard soap. It needs to be romanced.

Switching back and forth between creams and soaps will sometimes do that to me - creams are nearer to 'shave ready' state and need less effort to whip up a nice lather.

All that said, my H.I.S brush beats up any puck of soap I have into clouds that fly all over the bathroom in short order. And it lets me be lazy and cut corners on soaking and loading.

Heh. Because of this thread, DRH Arlington (soap) just bumped MdC off the rotation for tomorrow.

12 96
 07-29-2012, 06:19 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Gents-

Thanks to each of you.

It's the same soap I've had for some time. I'm certain that formula change is out.

The collective response seems to be - more loading time. I'm guessing that Norton is probably right...I've gotten lazy about loading. So, tomorrow morning, it'll be Arlington. I'll load the brush. And then I'll load it some more.

@SharpSpine. I'm pretty certain the water softener is doing its job. If there's ever an issue with soft water, SWMBO can tell in an instant...and lets me know...in an instant. Wink

Stay tuned for the results.

47 1,378
 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I get a great lather with all 3 of my Harris soaps using my hard well water, so it's probably not your water quality. I do load with a pretty wet brush and give it at least 100-120 swirls on the puck before face lathering. Depending on the brush, I'll give it a few more swirls on the puck after the second or third pass.

0 204
 07-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(07-29-2012, 03:34 PM)MaxP Wrote:

Sounds to me like you have been spoiled.

43 1,690
 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
Something similar happened to me after using Tabac and Klar's for awhile, and took me several mediocre lathers until I figured it out. I'd developed habits to start loading these with more water in my brush. This approach doesn't work well with MWF, DRH, and some French soaps. They need less water in the brush to start with, and add some slowly, especially if the brush has very good flow through and releases water easier.

2 180
 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(07-29-2012, 07:14 PM)edgerunner Wrote: Something similar happened to me after using Tabac and Klar's for awhile, and took me several mediocre lathers until I figured it out. I'd developed habits to start loading these with more water in my brush. This approach doesn't work well with MWF, DRH, and some French soaps. They need less water in the brush to start with, and add some slowly, especially if the brush has very good flow through and releases water easier.

Actually I experienced that while test lathering a brush. It has a lower grade of hair, so holds less water. Well, I've never actually appreciated the amount of water silvertip hair holds until then. I had to dip the tips in order to load the brush properly. And all I really wanted to do was just get enough soap to make a small lather to see how the hair felt.

Lesson learned. Silvertip holds a lot more water....

9 2,988
 07-30-2012, 04:35 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
All-

This morning I loaded the brush for about 30 seconds which is about twice as long as I have been doing.

The brush was a Rooney Beehive.

And...great lather! So, the answer to my problem was just not loading the brush enough.

I've read "more product, more product" in various posts. Looks like there's truth in that.

Thanks to each who replied. This is a clear case of an old dog learning a new thing.
Blush

47 1,378
 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
That's great news, and a nice reminder to us all.

43 1,690
 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thumbsup Shaving

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
  • jss
User Info
Max..Glad your solution was an easy one....

Best,
Julian

0 264
 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 04:35 PM)MaxP Wrote: Thanks to each who replied. This is a clear case of an old dog learning a new thing. [/font] Blush

Nah, just going back to the basics. We all need to do that from time to time.

9 2,988
 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM
User Info
More product always works Biggrin

2 65
 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
load load load load, and load more... triple milled hard soaps require a lot of loading time; or, change to a product that is much easier to use.Wink

3 315
 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
I load Harris very heavy and I don't seem to have used up any of my Malborough puck after using it 20 or 30 times.

15 762
 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
User Info
Start of with a damp brush and load for a good minute to a minute in a half. And of course, keep adding water as you go.

By the way, how does water feel when it's softened?

0 35