02-16-2015, 08:07 PM
User Info
How are you guys using the oil? I assume you aren't face lathering? Is it for an extra layer of slickness and protection or am I missing the point of the oil?

1 171
 02-17-2015, 04:48 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(02-12-2015, 11:40 AM)Mouser Wrote: The thicker/coarser/heavier your beard, the more benefit you'll get. It seems to me.

+1

I have face lathered for 20+ years but discovered PSO only ~2 years ago. Now I don't shave without it. If I do - my shaves suffer - more irritation.

18 537
 03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
User Info
For me is like this: the more drying the soap is the more my skin benefits from preshave oil. If I use jabonman or mikes I don't need preshave oil. But if I use mdc, tabac, or other more drying soaps I do need the preshave oil. Obviously, the one benefit that I lose entirely by not using preshave oil is their ability to hydrate the hair for easier cutting. The other benefit, moisturizing my skin and offering an artificial barrier inside the skin for the soap to not harm deep skin oils, is not needed with soaps that don't dry skin out.

I was totally against preshave oil as I blamed specific ingredients for my allergies and I was stubborn enough to not accept the use of preshave oil. I didn't like the way you have to apply it making your hands oily and the fact that I wasn't sure about its benefits. Once I learned that drying soaps will destroy the skin barrier oil making it more likely that the soap itself will reach very deep inside the skin making me feel like putting soap directly on an open wound, I understood the benefit of preshave oil.

Final point, I would adjust the quantity of preshave used based on the soap you are using. I am going between 1 and 3 drops.

0 18
 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM
User Info
(07-29-2012, 07:53 PM)beartrap Wrote: Not to crap on the thread but do you guys think it's worth it to use the oil? Does it improve your shave that much? I find it messy and unnecessary step, will never try it again.

Actually I use a beard oil everyday and a shave oil that I blend myself and haven't had any bad issues. As a matter of fact I've found that my beard oil does wonders for my dry skin on my arms so what ever residue that I have left on my hands from my beard in the mornings I just use on my arms. Shave oil works similarly so i really don't see the issue.

0 1
 05-18-2015, 04:49 AM
User Info
I use the Pacific pre-shave oil. I use it by rubbing my face with it upfront. 

But to be clear, no pre-shave oil replaces a shower prior to shaving. 

0 1
 10-17-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for Recipes Smile

0 3
 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM
User Info
  • .5 part Glycerin
  • 1 part EVOO
  • 2 parts almond oil
  • 2 parts grape seed oil
  • 2 parts jojoba oil
Essential oils as desired.  I tend to go with a lime/orange combo.  For approximately the cost of a good commercial preshave oil, you can get these ingredients and make your own for a long time.

2 81
 10-31-2015, 09:55 PM
User Info
One part Corn Husker's Lotion
One part face

The end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1
 11-07-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
(10-31-2015, 09:55 PM)Jmitchelliv04 Wrote: One part Corn Husker's Lotion
One part face

The end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is

1 part corn huskers
1 part AS for scent
2 Parts withch hazel

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

3 117
 11-21-2015, 09:07 PM
User Info
I would just inject some caution about the use of castor oil as it is a well-known irritant for some people.  Found out the hard way that I'm one  of those people.  Skin turned red and irritated; it was rather painful and took a couple of days to subside.  But do google castor oil and I think you'll see I'm right.

Was piddling with various combinations of castor and grapeseed oil to get the right consistency (3:2 Castor:Grape is what I ended up with).  1:1 was too runny (the grapeseed oil is much thinner than the castor), and 2:1 was too thick/sticky.

Since castor oil is out for me, I'm going to try a combination of grapeseed and jojoba oil for the carrier solution, plus essentials.

In the meantime, I'm using Shave Secret, which is a great product.

0 417
 11-21-2015, 09:19 PM
User Info
For those worried about "oily" oils - don't.  Apply a few drops and work it into your face then let it sit for a few minutes while you get your other stuff ready.  Your shave cream breaks down the oil, but not before working with it to really prep and condition your face for a great shave.  Plus, despite your cream breaking the oil down, it remains effective during your shave - reactivated by moistening your face with a little water making the second and third passes even better than the first.  Finally, when you're done shaving, clean your face with a hot washcloth and then dry it completely.  Any residual "oiliness" will be completely gone, but your skin will still be reaping the conditioning benefits.  Finally, once your face is dry, apply a small dab of balm and work it into your face really well.  Your face will feel absolutely awesome the rest of the day.  And you'll be hoping the next 24 hours passes really quick so you can do it again.  Smile

0 417
 11-22-2015, 01:29 AM
User Info
Two drops of argan oil, cold-pressed and organic, massaged in while bathing or showering.

Argan oil performs a few roles for me. I apply another drop post-shave after spritzing on some unscented, alcohol-free witch hazel. I'll then dress, groom, and apply fragrance before rubbing a small amount of unrefined shea butter into my face. I even use a further drop in my hair (in place of a styling product).

0 143
 11-22-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
My homebrew oil is as follows (all available at Walmart) :

Castor, safflower, and grapeseed oils in equal parts. Lavender essential oil to make 1% of the base oil volume. (I like the Lavender smell, and it's a good irritant reducer).

Castor oil for the viscosity boost and: http://www.livestrong.com/article/173986...-the-face/ Safflower oil: http://www.livestrong.com/article/157519...-benefits/ Grapeseed oil, because it's lower odor than olive oil, and: http://www.livestrong.com/article/255779...-the-face/ Lavender essential oil for fragrance, and: https://www.organicfacts.net/health...ea...l-oil.html

As with EVERYTHING you'll read, watch, etc. - YMMV, and your individual experience will be just that.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

0 5
 12-03-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
What works wonders is - wash face night before - add quality moisturizer and in AM - take a shower but don't use soap the wash the face. Post shower just lather up.

7 354
 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM
User Info
All of this can be purchased at Akin's or, probably, any fine health food store.

To make:
8 ounces
1.     Unscented Sweet Almond oil 3 oz.
2.       Aloe Vera oil 2 oz.
3.       Jojoba oil 1 oz.
4.       Lanolin  1 oz.
5.       Rosehip oil 1 oz.
6.       Myrrh essential oil 2.5ml (1/2 tsp.)

Conversions:
  • 3 oz. = 90ml
  • 2 oz. = 60ml
  • 1 oz. = 30ml
  • .5 oz. = 15ml
  • .25 oz. = 7.5ml
  • 1 tsp = 5ml
  • 1/2 tsp = 2.5ml
  • 1/4 tsp = 1.25ml
  • 1/8 tsp = .625ml
4 ounces
1.       1.5 oz. = 45ml
2.       1 oz. = 30ml
3.       .5 oz. = 15ml
4.       .5 oz. = 15ml
5.       .5 oz = 15ml
6.       1/4 tsp = 1.25ml
2 ounces
1.       .75 oz. = 22.5ml
2.       .5 oz. = 15ml
3.       .25 oz. = 7.5ml
4.       .25 oz. = 7.5ml
5.       .25 oz. = 7.5ml
6.       1/8 tsp = .625ml
I use Crabtree & Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh shave soap, cream, and aftershave so I was looking for a shave oil to complement the scent.  I find the above mixture is a pretty close match.  I experimented with the recipes that use Olive Oil and Castor Oil but found those overwhelmed the scent of myrrh. Enjoy Smile

0 1
 03-26-2016, 06:27 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
I've combined equal parts of coconut oil and olive oil. Some witch hazel and some mint oil. I put it in a re-purposed lens cleaner spray bottle.

The down side is that the coconut oil does solidify at colder temperatures. I usually have to warm the bottle under a hot tap before use. 

I don't really use it much anymore. I think the oils cause my skin to break out.

0 43
 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
User Info
2 Oz. Castor Oil
3/4 Oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7 Drops of Sandlewood Essential Oil
4 Drops of Clove Essential oil
4 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil

Works for me.

Feel free to modify all, or any of it. It's all a matter of preferences.
Lou

0 30
 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 11:51 AM)loubal Wrote: 2 Oz. Castor Oil
3/4 Oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7 Drops of Sandlewood Essential Oil
4 Drops of Clove Essential oil
4 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil

Works for me.

Feel free to modify all, or any of it. It's all a matter of preferences.
Lou

Has anybody else found that the castor oil just won't mix with the olive oil? They are staying stubbornly separate, like oil and water, in my first two attempts.

Castor oil and rape seed oil is also a non-starter. Just forms a thick, cloudy gloop, like melted margarine.

0 1
 12-20-2017, 07:23 PM
User Info
 I find it messy and unnecessary step, will never try it again.

0 1
 12-26-2017, 06:49 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Great thread!

1 190