06-26-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
Looking for best performing C&E soap.

Where do I find it and how do I know it's the best new formulation ?

24 5,918
 06-26-2016, 10:22 PM
User Info
(06-26-2016, 05:44 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Looking for best performing C&E soap.

Where do I find it and how do I know it's the best new formulation ?

New stock has potassium palmate as the first ingredient (good product), old stock is sodium palmate first (sub-par product)

1 23
 07-31-2016, 04:35 PM
User Info
And the new formula is great----I have Sandalwood, Moroccan Myrrh, and West Indian Limes.  They lather like a dream and the scents are wonderful.  I have also acquired two pucks of Nomad with potassium palmate as first ingredient, although it is in old style packaging.  I love this soap and highly recommend it.

4 32
 07-31-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
[Image: gAvl64A.jpg]

The good new ones are Potassium Palmate based.

16 1,026
 08-01-2016, 04:58 AM
User Info
Potassium palmate as first ingredient - Perfect!

Sodium palmate as first ingredient - Sucks!

2 5,547
 08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
User Info
Hey guys my first post! I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread and the previous one about the reformulation of the crabtree soap. Where i'm from (South Africa) there's just been a 50% off sale on crabtree shave products at one of the malls. I bought the moroccan myrrh with the wooden bowl just for the bowl. Had previously heard the soaps aren't very good so was planning to just take the puck out and replace it with Tabac. 

Anyways after reading this I checked my ingredients on the box and it has Potassium Palmate as the first ingredient. I'm so excited now to use this soap. Will have a shave tomorrow morning with it and then come back to post my impressions.

Thanks everyone for the info. Great to know the new formula makes for a good soap. We don't get many brands of soaps stocked locally here in SA. However there are a few Crabtree & Evelyn stores in the country so great to know there is a place here where I can buy some quality soaps.

Holding thumbs that it will be a good shave!

0 15
 08-01-2016, 11:47 PM
User Info
Lucky the post came in time before you threw it out. I have been in Asia for a few years and had the same problem, some Crabtree stores in the malls was often only option. 
As a result I have 2 tubs in their bowls still waiting to be used. I might give one of them a try this week. 

Enjoy your shave

0 133
 08-01-2016, 11:52 PM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 11:47 PM)Lloydw Wrote: Lucky the post came in time before you threw it out. I have been in Asia for a few years and had the same problem, some Crabtree stores in the malls was often only option. 
As a result I have 2 tubs in their bowls still waiting to be used. I might give one of them a try this week. 

Enjoy your shave

Thanks so much for you reply Lloydw. Yeah we pretty much have the Crabtree stores (which do stock Edwin Jagger products but at very inflated prices) and Tabac is available here at pharmacies (I think its always been supplied here so there is something of a loyal following for Tabac Products).

Thanks - will be back to report on the shave Smile 

BTW how long can these wooden bowls be used? Do they get damaged over time because of the water?

0 15
 08-02-2016, 04:51 AM
User Info
I had a nomad in the bowl for about 3 years and no problems. The varnish layer peeled off on the rim but it didn't affect anything other than the aesthetics. 
I reckon a light sanding or wire brush would clean it up at this stage.

0 133
 08-02-2016, 05:45 AM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 04:51 AM)Lloydw Wrote: I had a nomad in the bowl for about 3 years and no problems. The varnish layer peeled off on the rim but it didn't affect anything other than the aesthetics. 
I reckon a light sanding or wire brush would clean it up at this stage.

That's pretty good. I like the bowl a lot, I can see myself just buying a replacement puck every once in awhile.

Thanks again Lloyd, I really appreciate your response.

0 15
 08-02-2016, 07:46 AM
User Info
(08-01-2016, 11:52 PM)khaleelsabdia Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 11:47 PM)Lloydw Wrote: Lucky the post came in time before you threw it out. I have been in Asia for a few years and had the same problem, some Crabtree stores in the malls was often only option. 

Enjoy your shave

Thanks so much for you reply Lloydw. Yeah we pretty much have the Crabtree stores (which do stock Edwin Jagger products but at very inflated prices) and Tabac is available here at pharmacies (I think its always been supplied here so there is something of a loyal following for Tabac Products).

BTW how long can these wooden bowls be used? Do they get damaged over time because of the water?
No disrespect to C&E but Tabac is legendary performance. Continues to be regarded by many as one of the best shaving soaps money can buy.

You could stand to do far worse than "just" Tabac.

Edit - The bowls seem to be treated so they should hold up nicely. I just wipe mine down with a towel after I'm done shaving.

16 1,026
 08-02-2016, 08:19 AM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 07:46 AM)crazindndude Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 11:52 PM)khaleelsabdia Wrote:

Enjoy your shave

No disrespect to C&E but Tabac is legendary performance. Continues to be regarded by many as one of the best shaving soaps money can buy.

You could stand to do far worse than "just" Tabac.

Edit - The bowls seem to be treated so they should hold up nicely. I just wipe mine down with a towel after I'm done shaving.
I don't disagree with you on tabac.  Although local supply of shave brands is limited I have purchased some good shave products on my travels like Truefitt and Hill etc. I can say without exaggeration that Tabac is one of the best shave products I've ever used and it's really cool that it's widely available in SA.

Thanks for the info on the bowl. I really like the look of it and would be great to refill it as I go along

0 15
 08-02-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
Ok so couldn't wait to try the Crabtree Moroccan Myrrh. Had a shave with it this evening. I have the potassium palmate first ingredient version. Here's my thoughts:

1. No trouble at all lathering. Used a pure badger omega and lather whipped up easily. There was enough on the brush for 2 passes without any additional loading.

2. Lather was just ok on slickness I needed a bit of water. Did not have too much trouble getting the blade across but it felt tough to shave flat areas like the neck.

3. Cushioning was ok, not as protective as I'd like. Found my neck had a bit of irritation after the shave. Not terrible though.

4. Despite the nice scent once lathered up the scent was virtually non existent so the scent is very mild. Of course soaps are mild in general but really hoped for a stronger scent. I've used a sample of the Moroccan myrrh cream and the scent was brilliant. May purchase the cream at some point in the future.

5. Post shave wasn't great. Skin felt dry and needed a lot of aftershave to sooth and moisturize it.

Overall I actually did like this soap. The bowl is beautiful and the soap was fine to lather up. But it doesn't have the slickness, cushioning, and post shave of a top tier soap. Scent is beautiful but too mild. I don't have any regrets buying it though and I will still shave with it from time to time.

Sorry for the long post!

0 15
 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM
User Info
I have the Indian Sandalwood and West Indian Lime, and the WIL is much more potent in terms of scent.

16 1,026
 08-02-2016, 12:26 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Clause, buy them,try them and resell what you don't care for.

2 3,171
 08-03-2016, 11:09 AM
User Info
(08-02-2016, 12:17 PM)crazindndude Wrote: I have the Indian Sandalwood and West Indian Lime, and the WIL is much more potent in terms of scent.

Will give the WIL a try. As I said though Moroccan Myrrh in the cream is a fantastic scent, one of the best I have ever come across. 

Do you also find a bit of dryness in the post shave with the C&E soap?

0 15
 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
You can also find old, great discontinued good formulation (potassium palmate) on the Bay. I've got plenty of the good Sienna, Nomad and Mysore Sandalwood myself from there.

7 2,299
 08-05-2016, 06:46 AM
User Info
(08-03-2016, 01:33 PM)Mouser Wrote: You can also find old, great discontinued good formulation (potassium palmate) on the Bay. I've got plenty of the good Sienna, Nomad and Mysore Sandalwood myself from there.

Thanks for the tip. What sort of scent is Sienna - was it the old version of West Indian Limes?

0 15
 08-05-2016, 01:18 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-05-2016, 06:46 AM)khaleelsabdia Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 01:33 PM)Mouser Wrote: You can also find old, great discontinued good formulation (potassium palmate) on the Bay. I've got plenty of the good Sienna, Nomad and Mysore Sandalwood myself from there.

Thanks for the tip. What sort of scent is Sienna - was it the old version of West Indian Limes?

Oh no, not at all. I'm not good with scent descriptions but here's what's written at basenotes   http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121476.html

7 2,299
 08-10-2016, 07:02 AM
User Info
Ok so my understanding is that Potassium Palmate as first ingredient (which I have) is the good formulation. An from what Mouser is saying above it was the original formulation as well. So the Sodium Palmate first ingredient version was a bit of mistake from the company and they have realised the error of their ways...lol.

BTW popped into our local Crabtree Store again and saw that most boxes of their soap still have Sodium Palmate as the first ingredient. Seems the bad stuff is not completely out of circulation yet. Be careful potential buyers!

0 15