06-27-2016, 03:50 AM
User Info
Hello everyone, this is my first post, looking for feedback from another community...

I've been using Feather for years now for my DE Vintage Gillette Slim. But I was reading today about different blades, different types of hair, different types of water and how that combination makes for different experiences. I'd been wanting recently only out of curiosity to try others. I can't get any sample packs on Amazon France where I live so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions...

- I have thick facial hair and really sensitive skin. I hardly ever get nicks but even a good shave can still give me irritation.
- I have pretty hard water, if that's relevant
- As a point of comparison, Feather blades get me no more than 3 shaves a week per side of the blade, so 6-7 shaves for two weeks

Is there something other than Feather I could be using? I had started with Merkur, didn't like them. Lots of tugging, lots of irritation. I feel like I need VERY sharp and to make sure hard water isn't harming the blade edges. This store is where I get my shaving products and these are the DE blades I can get. I only today found out about another store in Spain where the variety is a bit better. From nothing more than reading opinions it seems like Polsilver and Bolzano are going to give me the best sharpness and smoothness and durability combination but I can't imagine too many people have the sensitive skin I have.

Before someone mentions it, I am indeed aware that skin sensitivity isn't just to do with shaving products. I have a facial cleaning and moisturising process I go through that includes eating well. You can assume that what I put into and on my body isn't a factor here. Just thought it was worth mentioning because I'm alarmed at how many people claim to have skin problems and think diet and moisturising has nothing to do with it.

Thanks!!

0 2
 06-27-2016, 04:02 AM
User Info
Personally, with a very similar face to yours by the sounds of things, I find Astra SP or Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow to be better than Feathers, with the Astras giving phenomenal longevity whilst retaining a quality shave with no tugging.

0 38
 06-27-2016, 05:06 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-27-2016, 03:50 AM)tinpanalley Wrote: I've been using Feather for years now for my DE Vintage Gillette Slim.

Is there something other than Feather I could be using? I had started with Merkur, didn't like them. Lots of tugging, lots of irritation. I feel like I need VERY sharp and to make sure hard water isn't harming the blade edges.

The sharpest DE blades made anywhere in the world are made in Seki City, in Gifu Prefecture, Japan.  Feather blades are made there.  The other blades made there (different company, different facility) are KAI blades.   You will find some users claim that Feathers are sharper than KAIs; you will find other users who claim that KAIs are sharper than Feather.  I have used both, and my personal take is that any difference in sharpness between the brands is minuscule, and day-to-day variations of skin tone due to length of sleep the night before or ambient humidity will overwhelm the differences — if any — in sharpness.  

That said, there is a majority opinion, well short of consensus, that KAIs give a “smoother” shave than Feathers.  My personal theory is that perceived differences in smoothness are probably correlated to the geometry of the baseplate of the razor in which the respective blades are tried out.  The KAI blades are made from a heavier gauge of steel, i.e., thicker, than the Feathers are fashioned from.  Consequently, the Feather blades need firm support from the baseplate beneath the blade, and strong clamping from the top cap, to avoid bending/spring-back and edge distortion, while the KAI blades are less vulnerable to differences among baseplate geometries.  In a razor with very strong underside support up toward the cutting edge and tight clamping (such as the Feather AS-D2), the differences between Feathers and KAIs are much less noticeable than they are in razors that have a baseplate with a “drooping” leading edge.

0 1,048
 06-27-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
Well, I've gone for a 5-pack of Astra SP and another of PolSilver SI.
If either is less rough than Feather I'll be happy. Then I'll pick one of the two to go with.

0 2
 06-27-2016, 08:14 PM
User Info
I've tried just about everything to like Feathers - tried them in every one of my razors - ATT R2, M2, 1941, R89, Progress XL (my best performing razor); my technique has significantly improved since I first started out, but they just don't work well on my face.  I'd like them to work, I know a lot of people really like them, but for me, they're just not a performer at all.  Supposedly one of the sharper blades, on my face they tug and scrape and leave stubble even after 4 passes and buffing.  Just not for me.  YMMV.

I've never had a bad shave with my Polsilvers however - very smooth, a non-irritating BBS experience every time.  I look forward to my morning ritual with them, every time.  Plus, I get the most mileage out of them - better than Personna Med Preps or Gillette Silver Blues, the latter being my second best performer.  I found Astras ok; they work best in my ATT, but probably my 4th or 5th favorite blade so far.

Hope you find something that really suites you.

0 377
 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM
User Info
(06-27-2016, 04:02 AM)nick_s Wrote: Personally, with a very similar face to yours by the sounds of things, I find Astra SP or Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow to be better than Feathers, with the Astras giving phenomenal longevity whilst retaining a quality shave with no tugging.

I go along with Nick .

1 398
 06-28-2016, 05:47 AM
User Info
From what i can remember flipping blade doesn't do much. .. i have similar features as you... thick hair and sensitive skin... i toss my blades every 2-3 shaves to limit my chances of irritation... every try the cork / feather ?

0 94
 06-28-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
You may want to try Personna Med Preps or Polsilver SIs.  I have similar skin/stubble characteristics as you and these are my go-to blades after having tried several.  Good luck to you!

29 263
 06-28-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

I also have sensitive skin and a coarse beard.  A sharp blade in a mild razor seems to be my winning combination.  As far as blades, Feathers are good for me.  I also like Personna Lab Blues.  The Lab Blues aren't as sharp, but they're pretty sharp, and they seem to last me a lot longer than Feathers.  They're also quite a bit cheaper.

0 1,052
 07-02-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
Sounds like I need to try Kai blades. I haven't used anything but Feather since my first blade sampler.

0 6