06-27-2016, 10:48 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I picked up a Mergress recently via our BST here and noticed from the get-go that there is a slight difference in the blade gap from one side to the other on the razor (when adjusted). It will align right when you have it tightened all the way down, but when you start to adjust it, the gap differential shows up.

Has anyone else noticed this on their Mergress or Progress?

10 233
 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I thought my standard Mergress was too. I figured it was just loose tolerances to ease the adjustment. I took a second look, out came my calipers and both sides were even. My theory, is the herringbone pattern on the safety bar creates an optical delusion with my old eyes.

2 3,171
 06-27-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
Make sure the cap is on the correct way.

There's a mark to align the ends the same way.

9 1,410
 06-27-2016, 11:29 AM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(06-27-2016, 11:09 AM)kav Wrote: I thought my standard Mergress was too. I figured it was just loose tolerances to ease the adjustment. I took a second look, out came my calipers and both sides were even. My theory, is the herringbone pattern on the safety bar creates an optical delusion with my old eyes.

Interesting note. I'll bust out the calipers as well. I was wondering if it was an illusion, but after lots of squinting last night, I decided it was real. I guess I'll let something mechanical show me the truth.

(06-27-2016, 11:17 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Make sure the cap is on the correct way.

There's a mark to align the ends the same way.

Yep, I made sure it was on correctly.

10 233
 06-27-2016, 08:32 PM
  • Viking
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
EricM helped me track down an older thread dealing with this same issue. One suggested fix was to compress the head down into the spring when tightening it down after installing a blade. This worked well for me and if a slight gap difference still showed, I just pushed down on the side that was higher and that evened it out. Will report back after a shave with these adjustments as last night's left a bit to be desired...

10 233
 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Andrew - Awesome to hear about the fix!  I hope you start getting the performance the Mergress are known for!

Cheers,
Eric

48 976