06-27-2016, 02:40 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
I am not that knowledgeable in regards to the Hoffritz razors, but I wanted to know is the Coles the same razor?  They're both German made... What it looks like to me is that Coles bought the rights to market the Hoffritz under the Coles name...  their slant looks identical to the Hoffritz Slant.... I could be mistaken.[Image: sHGujyn.jpg]

HOFFRITZ Slant

[Image: Mc2aEYc.jpg]

COLES Slant

129 320
 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM
User Info
Store brand.

Chicago.

Merkur made  them.

Coles, Hoffritz, Luna Werk, maybe others. Adams I believe.

Little changes over the years. Mostly superficial.

10 1,455
 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Sears and a few other dept sores used to sell hunting rifles and shotguns under their name. Same idea, except receiving a Montgomery Ward 30 30 instead of a
Marlin  or Winchester didn't hold the same allure. Only the deer seemed indifferent.

2 3,171
 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
yeah, I should have already figured that out myself just by the design of it.  Then I looked into it more and discovered exactly what you just stated.  Ahh well, I'd rather start a conversation here on TSN about shtuff, rather than google it.  LOL

129 320
 06-27-2016, 03:01 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(06-27-2016, 02:58 PM)kav Wrote: Sears and a few other dept sores used to sell hunting rifles and shotguns under their name. Same idea, except receiving a Montgomery Ward 30 30 instead of a
Marlin  or Winchester didn't hold the same allure. Only the deer seemed indifferent.

LOL!!

129 320
 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
I have a Hoffrittz collection. The most variety seems to have been in that brand in the US. 

Luna Werk branded slants come up once in a while in three piece designs. They look like your pics above. Aside from the little four piece travel sets, the Luna Werk was one of the few full size slants out there besides the plastic type ones that you could use any other handle on.

Some of the coolest looking ones are the double slants. I know there are several European brands, but the vintage ones originally sold in the US were usually branded Hoffritz. I have one and it had such a curve in it that usually it snaps the blade when I tighten the handle down. Impressive sight then double slants.

It's a little easier to find a slant head now to go with any handle. As little as two or three years ago your only option was to buy a two piece Merkur or go vintage. Even going vintage though the greater majority are not three piece. I suppose the travel sets are technically four pieces but whatever.

I like the older ones with white wash on the handles. I've had ones in gold, but it's not very durable and usually ends up rubbing or pealing off.

The Progress was labeled Hoffritz too. Mostly I see them in gold. When they begin to wear though the gold peals. It has some sort of plastic type lacquer that is different from what you'd see on an old gold plated Gillette. They are gorgeous unless you try to get them wet. Sad. 

I've even seen some Futur models with Hoffritz on the cap. Usually in shiny chrome though.

Merkur should sell a slant though I think in a three or four piece. All the new guys on the market now though eating their lunch. I'd still like to see them do it anyway.

10 1,455
 06-27-2016, 04:46 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(06-27-2016, 03:28 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I have a Hoffrittz collection. The most variety seems to have been in that brand in the US. 

Luna Werk branded slants come up once in a while in three piece designs. They look like your pics above. Aside from the little four piece travel sets, the Luna Werk was one of the few full size slants out there besides the plastic type ones that you could use any other handle on.

Some of the coolest looking ones are the double slants. I know there are several European brands, but the vintage ones originally sold in the US were usually branded Hoffritz. I have one and it had such a curve in it that usually it snaps the blade when I tighten the handle down. Impressive sight then double slants.

It's a little easier to find a slant head now to go with any handle. As little as two or three years ago your only option was to buy a two piece Merkur or go vintage. Even going vintage though the greater majority are not three piece. I suppose the travel sets are technically four pieces but whatever.

I like the older ones with white wash on the handles. I've had ones in gold, but it's not very durable and usually ends up rubbing or pealing off.

The Progress was labeled Hoffritz too. Mostly I see them in gold. When they begin to wear though the gold peals. It has some sort of plastic type lacquer that is different from what you'd see on an old gold plated Gillette. They are gorgeous unless you try to get them wet. Sad. 

I've even seen some Futur models with Hoffritz on the cap. Usually in shiny chrome though.

Merkur should sell a slant though I think in a three or four piece. All the new guys on the market now though eating their lunch. I'd still like to see them do it anyway.
Thank you for that info, Todd.  I'd like to see Merkur do that too

129 320
 06-27-2016, 10:41 PM
User Info
Merkur produced for a number of brands. Their 37-model slant was produced for themselves, for Hoffritz, Coles, Pomco. Their travelslant ditto. All these in chrome silver and gold variants.
The Hoffritz double slant looks a lot like s a Fasan, also a Solingen-brand, except I haven't seen closed comb Fasan-razors yet. The curvature and the red dot on the topcap however are clear giveaways.
Not sure who produced the non-slanted razors of Hoffritz, Coles, Pomco.

3 108
 07-02-2016, 10:54 PM
User Info
They're all the same. Biggrin Lady Pomco is the only one that is different. Also you should buy that Coles.

[Image: M5kA4yn.jpg]

0 24
 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(07-02-2016, 10:54 PM)michaelkennedy Wrote: They're all the same. Biggrin Lady Pomco is the only one that is different. Also you should buy that Coles.

[Image: M5kA4yn.jpg]

NICE, MICHAEL!!

129 320