06-29-2016, 12:32 PM
User Info
Hi Guys,

I'm going to Japan in the next few weeks, can u guys recommend me any products?

I heard about Lucido aftershave and the Gatsby hair pomades.

Thanks already!

0 9
 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
I posted this after coming back from Japan at the beginning of the year.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=38379

Aftershaves are (in my view) the best of what Japan has to offer.

8 897
 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-29-2016, 12:32 PM)barbalogia Wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm going to Japan in the next few weeks, can u guys recommend me any products?

I heard about Lucido aftershave and the Gatsby hair pomades.

Thanks already!

We travel to Japan a couple of times a year.  While acknowledging that my tastes probably do not correspond to your tastes, my personal opinion is that the only shaving products worth seeking out in Japan all come from Seki City, Gifu-ken:  Feather razors (including, definitely, the MR3 neo) and blades, and KAI blades.  

As to “products,” in the broader sense, there are some wonderful ones, from the exquisite to the absurd.  Starting with the latter, would you believe 233 varieties of Kit-Kat candy?  Amuse and amaze your friends back home!  The best nail clippers in the world are Suwada Classics, which you can purchase at Tokyu Hands.  Just about any o-sake from Yamagata-ken, but especially one made from Dewa SanSan rice, is ambrosia.  Unless you travel to Yamagata, you will have to seek out Dewa SanSan varietal sake (two-thirds of the sake produced in Yamagata is consumed by the residents of Yamagata, who are jealous of allowing others in on their secret), but your first stop should be the second floor of Yoshiike department store in Okachimachi (next to the Yamanote Line station).  The Japanese make some of the best whiskies in the world:  Hibiki 17-year might be a good place to begin your education about Japanese whiskey.  Japanese cast iron cookware (from the Nambu region near Morioka) is the finest cast iron cookware in the world, worth coming home with if your baggage weight allowance will permit.

0 1,054
 06-29-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
rockstead knives   Seki City

73 1,263
 07-01-2016, 03:11 AM
User Info
I've been to Tokyo several times. 
You can visit "Tokyu Hands" store and found some shaving products there. 
Mostly are overpriced Muhle and Murkur products.

2 121
 07-01-2016, 03:29 AM
User Info
I live in Tokyo. Don't spend too much time looking for shaving products in Japan, I find European products much better. Just go to any Matsumoto Kiyoshi and pick up the Feather MR3 Neo, spare cartridges and some Lucido aftershave. You'll notice the selection for guys grooming is anaemic compared to the women's selection.  

What I would do is visit some temples, sightsee, go to Shoyeido in Minami Aoyama for their premium incense (ranges from $10-$300), sandalwood chips and scented bags for clothing, the company has been around since the early 1700's. Also buy some green tea from Isetan Shinjuku on the basement floor, the variety is incredible and the prices reasonable. Make sure you try some fruit like apples, biwa, mandarins, grapes and melons.

Just keep in mind it will be really hot. Also mid July is sale time!

23 474