07-29-2012, 09:45 PM
User Info
Very few products seems to polarize traditional wetshavers quite like the Arko shaving stick do; once you tried it you'll either love it or loathe it.

What most people agree on though is that the tallow based stick works great - it's easy to whip up a lovely lather weither you rub it on your face and face lather, or if you mash it into a bowl and use it for bowl lathering. Where opinions differs is on the scent - some say it smells fresh and citrusy, others think it smells like urinal cakes. And others again - like myself - leave it unwrapped for a while and get a pretty much unscented shaving stick...

Using the Arko as a stick is simplicity itself: I prep my face before I rub the stick over my whiskers, and then I take the damp / wet brush of the day and vigourously applies it to my face in a circular motion. The result is a nice creamy and rich lather that is worked into my beard - perfect for those days when I havn't shaved in a while. There is always enough left on my brush for a second and third pass - and if it isn't it's easy to reapply and make more.

The Arko shaving stick provides a more than acceptable cushion and glide, at least on my skin. If you use it for face lathering it can be a little picky on the brush in my expereince; a brush with a decent amount of backbone is needed to work that lather into the whiskers properly. For bowl lathering every one of my brushes works wonders with the Arko, once they are loaded properly.

Being a stick, it's just as much at home in a shave nook as it is on travels, and it don't take up much space at all in your luggage.

If you can stand the scent, the Arko shave stick will not disapoint - and it's cheap at half the price.

3 3,580
 07-29-2012, 10:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Arko,that soap that you love or hate.
Well,I must say that Im agree with your review,its an inexpensive shaving soap and gives good lather and a good skin care.However,its scent,its just too much for me,as well as its "poor" packaging.
Thanks a lot for your inputs/thoughts/review of this shaving stick.

[Image: arkos.gif]

86 7,123
 07-29-2012, 11:43 PM
User Info
Good review as usual WW!

And yes, you hit it spot on, "Very few products seems to polarize traditional wetshavers quite like the Arko shaving stick do; once you tried it you'll either love it or loathe it.". It's like Williams that way.

32 6,310
 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
The smell is quite strong when new, so I also left it unwrapped for a while. And now I don't mind the smell. I think it's quite nice, and I also like the performance very much. The Arko shave stick is a regular item in my travel bag.

7 858
 07-30-2012, 05:05 AM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 12:37 AM)Striky Wrote: The smell is quite strong when new, so I also left it unwrapped for a while. And now I don't mind the smell. I think it's quite nice, and I also like the performance very much. The Arko shave stick is a regular item in my travel bag.

I have to agree that new "unopened" Arko is amazing in how strong the scent is. Last year I ordered the 12+3 pack on Amazon and when it arrived in the mail one Saturday afternoon in a priority express cardboard envelope, I swear that I could smell it through the front door.

As I carried it upstairs, I wonder if I had made a mistake and that SWMBO would ban it from the house. Fortunately she liked the scent and I discovered that once opened the scent aired out some to a pleasant citrusy smell.

As far as it's performance goes, it really is tops.

3 452
 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Hans! Arko has totally weened me off of Edge goo! I have only tried a couple other creams/soaps/sticks, but Arko seems to be working best for me, at least for now anyway.

The scent? The scent has really taken ahold of my 1970's Eveready 150. I sometimes pick up the dry brush & get a good sniff. With that & a little facurbation, I'm off for a great day!

~Frank

18 271
 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Thanks for a great review WW. It is very polarizing and I'm not entirely sure why.

I don't like the scent, but I don't totally hate it either. I'll try and keep it opened up like you said to air out the scent and see if I like it even more.

1 111
 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I don't like the packaging but for the cost its very hard to beat.

100 12,447
 07-30-2012, 07:40 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I think the packaging is part of what keeps the cost low.

~Frank

18 271
 07-30-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
I used it for the first time this morning after a family member bought me some back from Turkey. It's not bad at all.

7 1,179
 07-30-2012, 09:06 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh Arko... There is so much you can do to "improve" if you really want to give it a shot. Don't like the smell? air it out for a week and you get a greatest performing soap on the cheap. Don't like the packaging? Get an old deodorant tube and smash it in, you don't even have to grate it. But if you really really hate it and think it's all a hype, just use something else, there are plenty of great soaps available!

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 10:12 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I've not used Arko, and i'm not sure if i ever will. But I've heard it's either you love or hate it because of it's strong scent.

But i have to say Teiste that short video clip sure made me [Image: smiley1592.gif]

7 405
 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-29-2012, 09:45 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Where opinions differs is on the scent - some say it smells fresh and citrusy, others think it smells like urinal cakes.

That's an insult to urinal cakes. Laughing1 Just kidding (sort of)

45 16,352
 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
Either love it or hate it..never any middle ground when Arko comes to the board.

I like it. I think it is a great, clean, dare I say Borax scented item. For what you pay, you get a great product, better than Williams..neener neener....there I said it.

5 273
 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
LOL! I was waiting for a Williams comment. Arko is better by a looooong shot, I do have 2 unopened pucks of Williams though. I'll pass it on to my grandkids just for history sake, it's not good for shaving.

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
User Info
I am now using it in my travel kit. When on the road I use it every day and by about day 3 I'm really liking it. Very quick and easy to get great lather. I'm using it like a stick and rub directly on whiskers and get a good lather going in no time.

I don't get all the fuss about the scent. Smells like soap, close to Ivory--nothing special, nothing awful. Occasionally I think I'm smelling a hint of lemon, but it's not very strong.

I don't reach for it very much when I'm home though..

0 140
 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
What this forum needs is a Williams thread. That never fails to bring out a chuckle or two.

32 6,310
 07-30-2012, 12:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I'll second that! Who will be the brave gent to start a thread on Williams "legendary" soap? Rest asured that it will never die and be in the history of the nook forever Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
Go for it BT! I like the "legendary" you used, that word in the subject line should get a few comments! Biggrin

32 6,310
 07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
User Info
Great review, Hans. i guess i should try Arko one day to see what it's all about.

75 20,883