06-30-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
Good Day Gentlemen,

I currently have many, many brushes in my rotation which consist mostly of Badger, I do have a few vintage Ever-Ready and such in Boar and Bristle but I have no horse hair brushes and was thinking about adding one to my rotation so looking for some input from those that use horse hair and heave dealt with Vie Long.

I have heard that horse hair smells badly the first several times out but so did several of my badger brushes, not that I am unhappy with any I have, well maybe one [Image: 001_smile.gif] just looking to add a touch of variety

Here are the two I am looking at and my choice was based on one it being horse hair and two the color scheme.

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections/vie-long-shaving-brushes/products/vie-long-13061m-shaving-brush

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections/vie-long-shaving-brushes/products/vie-long-zurito-blanco-13061b-natural-white-horse-brush

6 1,252
 06-30-2016, 01:27 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I do own and use a Vie Long.  Yes, it did smell badly for a bit.  Prior to using it, I thoroughly cleaned it with a brush cleaner and then lathered it a couple of times with creams with heavy scents.  Even so, the odor remained much longer than any of my badgers every did.  Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy using it.  It lathers both soaps and creams nicely.  As for the difference between white and other colors on the horse hair, there isn't really any difference in feel or quality based upon color.  You do want to see the percentage used of the mane versus tail hairs.  That impacts the backbone and feel more than anything.  

Vie Long makes a great brush.  Enjoy.

61 507
 06-30-2016, 01:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm a little puzzled. You two hail from Texas ( Quarterhorses) and Tennessee ( Walkers) and you find horsehair, which is washed, to 'smell'? I admit my years of owning and training horses finds the scent pleasing. But I think you fellas need to get out of whatever industrialized environment you live in and smell the real world; Bluebonnets, Tennesse sour mash, stuff like that.
Vie Long is an exemplary company to deal with and in my opinion make the finest horsehair bushes bar none. If you buy it today you get a 15 percent discount. Spend over $65 and Phil includes a tub of Gignale soap. Choose the brush that talks to you.

2 3,171
 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM
User Info
(06-30-2016, 01:37 PM)kav Wrote: I'm a little puzzled. You two hail from Texas ( Quarterhorses) and Tennessee ( Walkers) and you find horsehair, which is washed, to 'smell'? I admit my years of owning and training horses finds the scent pleasing. But I think you fellas need to get out of whatever industrialized environment you live in and smell the real world; Bluebonnets, Tennesse sour mash, stuff like that.
Vie Long is an exemplary company to deal with and in my opinion make the finest horsehair bushes bar none. If you buy it today you get a 15 percent discount. Spend over $65 and Phil includes a tub of Gignale soap. Choose the brush that talks to you.

Not from Texas originally, moved here for work about 7 years ago and live just outside the city of Houston so don't see much horses where I am at, the smell would not be an issue I am thinking as it can't last forever just curious about the percentage of tail and mane hair to get some "scritch" I prefer a brush with some backbone for those harder soaps.

6 1,252
 06-30-2016, 01:58 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I was leaning over picking out the offside rear hoof of Martin Pauly, my stunning Bloodbay Quarterhorse  rescued from the slaughterhouse. He had become a biter and bucker 'for no reason'. Bought him at killer price  minutes before loading for the slaughterhouse. Discovered two broken teeth and a lacerated mouth from some ( fill in the blank) using a old chileno ring bit on him after he bit a kid for jerking him around in a double twisted wire snaffle. DVM treated his mouth and I used a western sidepull the rest of his days. Found out he was a R.O.M. reining horse and made me look real good in front of the Dressage people riding with NO headgear whatsoever doing patterns. Anyway, so I'm leaning over, a horsefly lands on Marty's butt and WHAM!!!!! He flicks that soft manehair tail and drew blood on my cheek.  I stagger to the horsetrough to splash water on it. Marty walks over and nuzzles me in apology. 
Trust me, Vie Longs have plenty of scritch.

2 3,171
 06-30-2016, 02:23 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Will,
I have a Vie Long LE Lord Randal in Natural White Horsehair I'd sell if you want to try out a horsehair brush.  Check your PM.

Eric

46 930
 06-30-2016, 02:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The 35/65 ratio should provide plenty of scratch. I'm not sure if the all white brush is a blend or just tail. Even pure tail hair will have plenty of backbone. The color has no effect on performance. Horse hair cells are arranged  to reflect light in  different patterns to create color. All else
being equal, they have the same tensile qualities.

2 3,171
 06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
User Info
(06-30-2016, 02:57 PM)kav Wrote: The 35/65 ratio should provide plenty of scratch. I'm not sure if the all white brush is a blend or just tail.

My Vie-Long Epsilon White horse hair is 50/50.

7 305
 06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I believe the Lord Randal is a 50/50 as well.

46 930
 06-30-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
I've tried an epsilon 27x50 brown hair and that was a very nice brush, good flow through with good backbone and the softest tips I've felt

26 761
 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM
User Info
The main reason I like the brush is the color scheme of the 13061M and from my understanding the the 35/65 blend is a great combo.

6 1,252
 06-30-2016, 05:23 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Phil's 15 percent sale is good through midnight Pacific.

2 3,171
 07-01-2016, 03:44 AM
User Info
(06-30-2016, 05:23 PM)kav Wrote: Phil's 15 percent sale is good through midnight Pacific.

Well hopefully he will be having a sale as I have a list of several things I am wanting to get from him and the brush is just one of them. Biggrin

6 1,252
 07-01-2016, 06:08 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
correction midnight the 3rd

2 3,171
 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(06-30-2016, 01:37 PM)kav Wrote: I'm a little puzzled. You two hail from Texas ( Quarterhorses) and Tennessee ( Walkers) and you find horsehair, which is washed, to 'smell'? I admit my years of owning and training horses finds the scent pleasing. But I think you fellas need to get out of whatever industrialized environment you live in and smell the real world; Bluebonnets, Tennesse sour mash, stuff like that.

Kav,

Tha's awesome.  I enjoy my Vie Long.  I agree that they make fantastic horse hair brushes.  Mine is still in my rotation with the rest.  I was just simply saying that it took a bit longer to neutralize the smell of the hair compared to many I have owned.  Having said that, once the brush is broken-in, it is fantastic.

61 507