07-01-2016, 09:05 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Not pushing for this, rather wondering out loud, but would standards for brush hair (badger, boar, horse, even synthetic) be useful to buyers? I'm a 'let 'em alone' type that prefers as little regulation as possible, but recognize the need for building codes for the big home purchases etc. Brushes certainly are not going to cripple one financially if bad buying decisions are made, but I bet there has been a hue and cry for hair standards so one man's silvertip is the same as the next. 

Standards would create a governing body and necessitate higher prices. Would the benefits to the buyer make them worthwhile?

0 363
 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
User Info
Standards would have to be global to have any real impact one way or the other. Not going to comment beyond that Smile

3 4,671
 07-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
GMO food labeling is  a contemporary fight. Genetic testing has revealed many pelagic fish are being substituted with other species for sale. Illegal commerce in wild animals and products is a bigger source of income for many terrorist groups than drugs, diamonds and weaponry. Pushback against the negative aspects of globalization see Brexit and Balkanisation worldwide.
Into this waddles the poor Badger; a wild animal culled for crop damage, protein and this seeming archaic, but technologic and environmental  appropriate
product the shaving brush. The industry has pretty much sorted out what part of the pelt makes the few grades of knot. They may call it different names, claim post harvest processing or exotic populations. I still think  white Mountain is a hamburger and gel tips a punk rock hair style using jello.  The  savvy consumer; that's us know what's what through the community. New regulations? I prefer old knowledge.

2 3,171
 07-01-2016, 09:41 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Agree with kav.  If you draw up rules, regulations or laws you must enforce them; what's not insepected is not respected.  Accordingly, I can't see how effective enforcement would be implemented; perhaps some little pointy-headed bureaucrat in Brussels could draft a wholly impractical system which would piss off everyone.

7 934
 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We are close to tripping on the political badger hole and should pause.

2 3,171
 07-01-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
Relying on community word-of-mouth is expensive, creates a lag time until quality can be verified, and is inherently subject to personal biases. Comparable "truthisms" exist in the car-buying world (Japanese makes are reliable, Italian makes are fun, German makes are precisely-engineered, American makes are American) but we still have NHTSA/IIHS and the DOT forcing the manufacturers to use objective metrics when selling their cars.

I don't know if it's even possible to achieve similar objectivity in badger hair, since even hairs taken from the same spot of two different badgers could have different properties based on genetics, but it's a nice pipe dream.

16 1,027