07-04-2016, 06:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, not exactly a poem and certainly not meant to be sung but I have a compulsion to share my experience shaving this morning with one of many vintage carbon blades I use from time to time. Today it was one that many who are more of an expert about these things than I am say was the pinnacle of the carbon era, the Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge, often referred to as Black Beauties. The original Black Beauties.

I try to source my carbon blades from areas that are relatively dry such as the west, southwest in particular and completely sealed. I stropp them before the first use on a pair of old jeans about ten times for each side of each edge. Now I don't know if that really does anything but I do it anyway.
Back to today, I used the above blade in my Fat Boy set at 7.
Ralph Lauren soap, M&F 3/1 brush with Finest Badger knot,
Now one change I make in my routine is I always go with three passes, with, across then against. With carbons I put in an extra across pass the other way before I go to the against.
My results were and always are as good as I always get no matter what I use, BBS.
Here's a shot of the blades discussed or at least the dispenser. [Image: 20140926_150213-1024x768-jpg.107430]
For those who are into wet shaving for the nostalgia factor among other things, who have the time to hunt the internet for the right ones in the right condition for the right price (I'm in forced retirement and have enough vintage blades now, both carbon and stainless to last me as long as I'll be shaving myself ) the rewards are well worth it. It's a subtly different experience,

7 2,279
 07-04-2016, 08:58 AM
User Info
Not tried the Schick carbons. I do enjoy the vintage Gillette Super Blue blades quite a bit and a few hundred or so laying around Shy

0 57
 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
I read all your words, Mouser. I don't do this often because I'm a slow reader. 

And Smitty has lots of Gillette blue blades. 

Someone send me some vintage blades( One of the two above). I do well with Treet black beauties.

1 398
 07-08-2016, 03:09 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Keep your eyes on Ebay and wait. Although the ones I'm referring to above I have only ever seen once,two packs, from Bulgaria and never again.

7 2,279